Choose up to 6 options

The arts and graphics
11%
The historical setups and data
14%
The AI
8%
The 'physical' scope of the game (size of map, nb of units, etc.)
8%
The user interface (ease of use, tooltips, drag&drop etc.)
6%
Because this is a turn based, simultaneous engine
10%
The number of scenarios and multiple campaigns proposed
3%
The gameplay/gamedesign (rules mechanic and how they are fit to the period)
11%
The strategic depth ("easy to learn, hard to master")
14%
The quality of service (frequent upgrades/patch, support availability, forum mood, etc.)
13%
The prices of the game
1%
I don't know, I buy all strategy games around anyway.
0%

Total votes: 2204
Hobbes

Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:30 pm

Ashbery76 wrote:I think this poll proves that the Vainglory focus should just be on the grand campaign and not wasting time doing loads of diffferent scenarios.

I agree but I think 1 small and 1 medium would be good. One snag with AACW is the lack of a medium size scenario (even though there is one - but it was never converted to use the new HQ rules).

The small one doesn't even have to be historically accurate just a way of learning the basics.

Cheers, Chris

PDF

Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:37 pm

1st item now is "Quality of Service", Pocus and PhilThib can be very proud of it. (It's certianly not the first item for most ppl, but noone did forget to vote for it !)

Maybe we should have a poll "what do you dislike in AGEOD's games" :8o: .
That'll be interesting too :innocent: ...

Pocus

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:26 pm

This is indeed a most pleasing recognition of our work. :coeurs:

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

GShock

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:33 pm

PDF wrote:1st item now is "Quality of Service", Pocus and PhilThib can be very proud of it. (It's certianly not the first item for most ppl, but noone did forget to vote for it !)

Those winning % are not coming from the quality of service. That voice had to win because i voted that, that's all! :cwboy:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:56 pm

I chose arts and graphics first of all. It were those that aroused my interest in the first place.

Turn based strategy game, second. No real time experiments please!

The AI, third, though it can never be good enough.

And lastly, having a developer who cares about their games, discusses with their fans and releases incremental patches makes the difference!

My experience with Ageod games comes mostly from AACW. I simply love that game because of the combination of scope and detail. Imo it proves that a grand campaign encompassing huge conflicts with several different layers (political, economical, strategical) is possible.

The industry has given up on this type of serious, thinking-man wargames, and are churning out silly games with little men and green health bars. Ageod has renewed my hope that smaller companies can indeed fill that gap.

Napoleons campaigns does not appeal to me yet, because it lacks a campaign. The graphics have deteriorated a bit after Sandra left, but they are still nice (Sandra had raised the bar extremely high imo). Otherwise it looks like a damn fine game, which I will buy as soon as it has a campaign.

I try to support you by recommending your games in places where serious gamers hang out, and I am really looking forward to your next releases. BoA2 purchase is already planned.

Keep up the good work Ageod!

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:56 am

A bit late to reply to this one (I just noticed it today), but my votes were for graphics, game mechanics, the "we go" system, and the UI. The graphics were actually was what made me buy BoA (my first Ageod game), so they are the reason that I'm here. They are (still) incredibly immersive. A mixture of a good period map and actually being there, standing in the landscape, experiencing it. I find the BoA graphics still slightly superior to everything that came afterwards. In AACW and NCP, the structures and unit icons are too big compared to the provinces, in my opinion. The map is too crowded and I can't see the terrain properly. Still, great graphics anyway. Just not as great as BoA. :innocent:

Of course, "we go" is superior, the user interface is as simple as it gets (my only complaint being that sometimes unit icons cover the siege symbol or the structure), and of course the game mechanics are an excellent and elegant way of including the important factors that determined warfare of the period. I really am in love with the leader traits. :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:50 am

The game engine gives me an uncertainty and adds extra FOG of war so I m not 100% sure what is going to happen... Very very good idea your detect / evade while turn processing in BoA development in a computer.

The campaign allows lots of alternatives, both in the military and the industry. An "strategy" game without a good industry model part turns to me into an "operational" game (is it operational the proper name to it?) and loses 50% its value for me. I WANT THIS AS MY 6TH VOTE... I did not found this...

Finally seems as mod is an easy thing for lots of people (not for me however :bonk :) and game goes on upgrading with all these extra work.

put413
Private

What I'd Like to see

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:18 pm

Prisons that must be defended.
Also, fighting battles switched to a realistic scene, instead of being so abstract.
And "scale-to-fit" troops vs buildings...... :thumbsup:

Frankie P
fep413@aol.com

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:46 am

Alas!! You are a DOG?!!

Generalisimo

Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:15 pm

put413 wrote:Prisons that must be defended.
Also, fighting battles switched to a realistic scene, instead of being so abstract.
And "scale-to-fit" troops vs buildings...... :thumbsup:

Frankie P
fep413@aol.com

There is no way you can scale an entire army to fit inside a structure... :blink:
Both things are abstractions that represent something from the real world. ;)
If you start "scaling to the real world", then how you would scale a fort inside a certain region? :bonk:

For easier gameplay, it should be done this way... ;)
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

SAS
Corporal

Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:52 pm

This is a very informative poll thanks!

yoshino
Conscript

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:25 am

This engine's UI is superb.and 2D graphic is neat.
I most like both.

Templer
General

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:35 am

The quality of service (frequent upgrades / patches, support availability, forum mood, etc.) is at the top?
Right so.
With AGEOD you feel less like a consumer, but more as a team member with common goals.
This is the right way to deal with consumers.

And besides, the games are also very good. :D

Keep up the your strategy AGEOD. :)
Greetings
Templer

Lewis Armistead
Conscript

Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:25 pm

The historical setups and data are the reason I play the games. Excellent quality of service, which is greatly appreciated, is a close second.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:23 am

Well, my experience is mostly with AACW, and the demos. In order of importance, I picked:

1. Historical setups/data. I'm a history nerd and I love the attention to detail, and it warms my heart to see intelligent operational wargames about conflicts that don't receive a lot of attention, like the Russian Civil War.

2. Art/graphics. I generally much prefer hand-drawn 2D graphics to textured 3D models and the like. I bought AACW because I really liked the look of the game, the map is beautiful in its simplicity, and reviewing your units is like reading an Osprey book. The other games' maps I don't like nearly as much - too vibrant and green for my taste.

3. The WEGO engine/gameplay mechanics. I grouped these together because they're closely related. I much prefer turn-based (especially simultaneous turns) to real-time games. I like that you can pay as much or as little attention to the finer details as you want, although I wouldn't go so far as to say "easy to learn, ..." as it can be a bit intimidating, but all the more rewarding when you fall off the learning cliff and realize it's easier than it looks at first glance.

4. Quality of service. It's not often that the CEO gets in touch with you personally to quickly resolve your issues with purchasing a game, even if he is head of marketing for a small company. It's not often you ask about a very minor quibble, and a lead developer replies ten minutes later saying, hey that's easy to fix I'll do that right now. Also, continued support for old releases is key, as I'm usually a few years behind the time. Finally, the forum was very welcoming.

5. Prices. Definitely a selling point for me, I'm surprised it got so few votes. I would gladly pay 10 or 20 dollars more for most of these games if I could (don't get any ideas now!), but I cannot justify spending 60 dollars or more on a new game. 10-30 dollars fits my budget very nicely.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:10 am

I generally agree with what you have posted. As for price, I'd probably buy Ageod's games even if they were priced higher so I did not check that one.

I'd also expand that although these are 2D graphics, I still think they have very nice graphics especially the maps.

I put AI because honestly playing PBEM is almost "too hard" in that you get a file then they get a file then you run the game. I don't know. I like to just do a turn and then hit "Execute" or "End turn".

This poll was put up in 2007, I think, and from what I have seen, AGEOD has done a very good job adhering to the principles of the poll as well as of their own principles. Good job over the last 5 years.

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:45 pm

I think if it wasn't for smaller devs like AGEOD, turn based strategy games would become a thing of the past. They keep alive an entire genre of gaming that kids these days just don't appreciate. I personally like to scan over a map, choose my options carefully, and have the ability to go grab a beer and ponder my move without having to worry about the enemy rushing my base for a fast victory before I can get back to the computer. Twitch-click gaming just isn't for me... maybe I'm getting too old. Doom is about as fast and twitchy as I like and that game is now almost 20 years old.

Then there's the little details like hand drawn maps and portraits, historical units, supply issues, etc. Aside from maybe the CK/EU/Paradox series, there's really nothing out there that can cover the scope of these periods with the skill AGEOD has.

I guess what I'm saying is AGEOD games is like a pretty girl that has a good sense of humor, intelligence, is a good cook in the kitchen, and doesn't mind having a day to herself when I'm busy massing my troops outside of Paris. ;)

Hobbes

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Boomer wrote:I think if it wasn't for smaller devs like AGEOD, turn based strategy games would become a thing of the past. They keep alive an entire genre of gaming that kids these days just don't appreciate. I personally like to scan over a map, choose my options carefully, and have the ability to go grab a beer and ponder my move without having to worry about the enemy rushing my base for a fast victory before I can get back to the computer. Twitch-click gaming just isn't for me... maybe I'm getting too old. Doom is about as fast and twitchy as I like and that game is now almost 20 years old.

Then there's the little details like hand drawn maps and portraits, historical units, supply issues, etc. Aside from maybe the CK/EU/Paradox series, there's really nothing out there that can cover the scope of these periods with the skill AGEOD has.

I guess what I'm saying is AGEOD games is like a pretty girl that has a good sense of humor, intelligence, is a good cook in the kitchen, and doesn't mind having a day to herself when I'm busy massing my troops outside of Paris. ;)

Well said. Although I do remember an exciting online game of Age of Empires nearly 15 years ago when two opponents were attacking my base at 2am and there seemed to be no time to use the loo or get another beer. Couldn't do that now - would have to get another beer.

John S. Mosby
Lieutenant

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Boomer wrote:I personally like to scan over a map, choose my options carefully, and have the ability to go grab a beer and ponder my move without having to worry about the enemy rushing my base for a fast victory before I can get back to the computer. Twitch-click gaming just isn't for me... maybe I'm getting too old.

Exactly my thought, however I may substitute some fine Virginia whiskey in place of that beer. :D

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:18 pm

John S. Mosby wrote:Exactly my thought, however I may substitute some fine Virginia whiskey in place of that beer. :D

I agree even if it's difficult to find Virginia whiskey here in Marseille :mdr: I substitute this with Jack Daniels when I play AACW :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

DanSez
Sergeant

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Great topic and shows you care for and want your customer feedback. I would encourage all to try and limit your choices to the most important so the real data rises above the 'noise' (marketing theory)

Anyway my main points are these:
Turn Based Strategy - you guys do a great job with this.
Art and Graphics - again, beautiful maps and units - no silly sprites of the wrong generic-type unit stabbing each other repetitively
Game Design/Fits the Historic Period - results of care and attention to detail of historical research - love this stuff

Those are your strong points as well as good support and fair pricing, but as important as the last 2 are to keep customers around, it is the first set of points that drew me to this site and enlisted me as a conscript in the Army of AGEOD gaming. I did not rate the last two in the poll (support/price).

Inwe
Conscript

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:06 pm

Tough poll! It's hard to choose! ;)

- the historical setups and data
- the arts and graphics
- the gamedesign
- turnbased simultaneous engine
- the strategic depth

All these make something that some people call "immersion" and that's the fun I am searching now. Some other games can be fun, only focusing on gameplay, but what I have already enjoyed with AGE-engine games is the way to feel the atmosphere of the eras used in those games.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:06 am

I am apparently one of the only people who chose price in my six. I know the poll was started many years ago and you have adopted newer distribution and marketing models (e.g. selling scenario expansions) but I still feel all of these games are under-priced. These games have become an important source of entertainment for me, replacing Civilization, Age of Empires, and SimCity. I have come to rely on you guys for my gaming happiness! I for one would be willing to pay more for these games, they are worth more to me than you have asked me to pay, and if I need to pay a few dollars more to keep the lights on I am eager to do so.

Perhaps an option to voluntarily pay a higher price?

Ahenobarbus
Lieutenant

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:07 pm

Personnellement, j'adore les jeux qui se basent sur l'histoire, encore plus sur l'époque romaine et républicaine. Je regrette juste le côté peu politique (gestion des comices, consulat et etc) mais l'histoire, les personnages, la représentation des unités et etc, sont de très hautes qualités.
[CENTER]@@@ :D Belge et fier de l'être !!!@@@[/CENTER]
Je joue à [color="#cc0033"]Alea Jacta Est (AJE)[/color] - [color="#cc0033"]Birth of Rome (BOR)[/color] - [color="#cc0033"]Revolution Under Siege (RUS)[/color]
AAR's : Bellum Samniticum Tertium (BOR) - Un fauteuil pour deux (AJE)

Kensai

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:53 pm

What's the next game coming up the pipe? Can't wait to see if the poll selections have influenced the decisions... :)
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

PhilThib

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:46 am

We shall anounce in the coming weeks more details on the 2014 games from Ageod :neener: :confused:

Lindi
General

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:51 pm

PhilThib wrote:We shall anounce in the coming weeks more details on the 2014 games from Ageod :neener: :confused:

:thumbsup:

When? When? When? When?

I said When?

:D

Shri

Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:06 pm

Excellent research and hence, very good set-up OOB's adhering to history.
And also excellent support, always agreeing to the demands of BETAS in theory at least, even if many of these demands are insane. Patches on time really help. :thumbsup:

seathom
Colonel

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:19 pm

I was tempted to only vote for one, because without strategic depth, your games would not be much different than other war game manufacturers. I did vote for 5 other reasons that flesh out the difference between AGEOD games and other good war games; however, to be honest, it is solely because your games place me in a more realistic world scenario that I have fallen in love with your games. I used to love Europa Universalis (especially the board game) but it is ridiculous that a one province nation in 1400 can end up conquering the entire world by 1820 or that France would have 200,000 troops in West Africa and allow its home country to be destroyed! The same can be said of Hearts of Iron (Albania can conquer the world in 10 years by making tons of artillery??)

I also appreciate that your games aren't first person shooters (just what the world needs is more people not horrified by killing!) or that skilled manuevering of small forces can outsmart the AI's much larger force (War Game and Total War) rather than the proper use of force.

As a supply specialist in the army (years ago), I also appreciate your dedication to the importance of supply being such an integral part of warfare, yet not having to micro manage it.

I could go on and on, but that would be too tedious to read!

Thank you so much for making smart, thoughtful war games (and LONG LIVE PRIDE OF NATIONS!).

Rossignol
Conscript

Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:26 pm

A lot of things but mostly the arts and graphics !

Return to “General discussions”