richfed

War in the Pacific Game?

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:07 am

Anyone know of a good strategic WWII PC game focusing on the Pacific theater? Something relatively new that would work on Windows 10. Is there such an animal?
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Altaris

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:05 pm

Well, if you have a ridiculous amount of free time on you hand, there's War in the Pacific: Admiral Edition. Just be forewarned it's a MASSIVE game, involving turns as short as 1/day, and turns can easily take up to an hour or so to plot. It was a bit too involved for me, but I could see the promise there for someone wanting the ultimate grog PTO game.

For something simpler, you could check out Strategic Command series of games. They have a PTO one, I never played it but I think it was supposed to be pretty good.

Nikel

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:30 pm

There was a demo for the second game Altaris commented.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=220&Itemid=335

Altaris, do you think it is possible to create a Pacific War game with current Ageod engine?

Or perhaps with the future engine will it be possible?

Altaris

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:42 pm

Pacific wouldn't work well for AGEOD, iMO. Naval and air combat leaves some to be desired in AGEOD as is, which are the key components of a PTO game. Strategic Command has some limitations too, but it's got a decent enough naval/air simulation to make for good PTO game.

Nikel

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:02 pm

OK, thanks, I was thinking the same, but you have developed TEAW so your opinion is important.

I would like to know the opinion of Pocus and PhilThib regarding the new engine and the possibility of a Pacific War game.

I am currently very interested in this topic, reading Craig L Symonds' book on The Battle of Midway, watching the classic movies Tora! Tora! Tora! and Midway and also a new japanese movie on Yamamoto Isoroku.

And also browsing the Pacific War Encyclopedia by Kent G. Budge, that would be a terrific source of info for a game.

http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/

richfed

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:08 pm

Thanks guys ... will look in to them!!

Hobbes

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:37 pm

I played the Strategic Command pacific game a few months ago and quite enjoyed it. There are flaws but it's not bad for at least one full game as each side.
I played Uncommon Valor years ago PBEM - pretty good but takes a lot of time + opponents sometimes seem to fade away once they lose a few carriers :)
I recently bought Storm Over The Pacific - only £4 but first impressions somehow not great. Anyone played this game?

Cheers,
Chris

richfed

Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:04 am

Altaris wrote:Well, if you have a ridiculous amount of free time on you hand, there's War in the Pacific: Admiral Edition. Just be forewarned it's a MASSIVE game, involving turns as short as 1/day, and turns can easily take up to an hour or so to plot. It was a bit too involved for me, but I could see the promise there for someone wanting the ultimate grog PTO game.

For something simpler, you could check out Strategic Command series of games. They have a PTO one, I never played it but I think it was supposed to be pretty good.

I looked at that first game - thought I might enjoy the detail - but I read that there were 1000 units to move on the 1st turn!!!!! Yikes.

Might try the 2nd game --- but, there is a newer game I found on Matrix called Order of Battle: Pacific. Will have t compare & see which way to go.

Nikel

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:05 am

WitP-AE is a monster game, there are scenarios though, Coral Sea, Guadalcanal, Marianas,...

Order of battle is turn based, but could not call it strategic, but tactical. It is similar to the old Panzer General or its modern reincarnation Panzer Corps.

Altaris

Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:48 pm

Yeah, if you don't enjoy ultimate grognard games, don't even bother with WitP:AE. It's friggin huge. It took me like 2 months to even figure out how to do the first turn in the grand campaign. But if you want something as close to an actual simulation of the PTO as you can find, this one is it. I enjoyed it for a bit... but only when I had no family and was working out of town all the time with little else to do. It's that massive. Easily sink an hour or two a day into it even doing 1 turn a day (which in the campaign would be about 4 years of play time to go to the very end).

For something similar in scale to an AGEOD game, the Strategic Command one is probably your best bet. Not the best of graphics, but a very solid, fun engine. I prefer AGEOD slightly, but SC engine is a fairly close second, and much better for a naval/air campaign. SC games tend to be a bit pricey though, since you usually have to buy the base game + expansions, and they never seem to be on sale.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:10 pm

I would try solo and PBEM Strategic Command series for only WW1 scenario with extended map and better operational scale if you have to pick one of their games in limited budget. That is good alternative.

Altaris

Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:21 pm

I think Assault on Communism is the best SC2 game, but their WW1 game is a close second.

LCcmdr
Captain

Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:57 pm

Well, in a different gaming family..., there's Hearts of Iron III and Supreme Ultimate Ruler that give you a "macro" view of theater command, that then is somewhat similar to AGEOD's approach. IMO, these AGEOD games are not as monstrous as the two I just noted. Having played them, I rarely finish a game as a larger nation (Japan/USA) because the scale is too big. China, OTOH, is a thrilling, cliff hanger to survive; as is Italy.

richfed

Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:11 am

Ended up choosing Order of Battle: Pacific, for several reasons:

1 - I liked the look of the game
2 - It is current and therefore playable on Windows10 [very nicely]
3 - It is alive & vibrant ... big patch out with a free add-on included, Battle of Britain [1940], and released that must be paid for [reasonable price] called Morning Sun - China - Japanese conflicts in the 1930s. PLUS, another new add-on upcoming soon, The Marines [or something like that - new units, new scenarios]
4 - Nice mix of strategy & tactical play

AI seems pretty decent so far, but I am new to it. Very user friendly game to learn, really enjoying it, though it will cost a small bundle as they keep adding expansions. Good deal, all things considered!

Return to “General discussions”