UniversalSoldier
Conscript

Which titles to try first?

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:18 am

New Member here, ive been browsing the store a little bit and the titles do seem interesting . Im new to AGEOD strategy games and was wondering if there are any demos available of any of the games so i can try and get used to. First off is how re-playable are the games and which one have you experienced players found the most replayable and in depth of them all? Im hesitant to buy some titles because i dont want to be constrained to a certain time limit or have my playthroughs play out the exactly the same each time. How much content can you find in any of the games? Do they all vary or does each come with a good deal of hours and content per playthrough? I really would like to try some titles out as they seem complex and overall fun i just want to know will i get my moneys worth?

1stvermont
Major

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:20 pm

Civil war 2, you will not be disappointed.
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
Southern solider about northern General Sherman

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".
Northern newspaper about the death of Stonewall Jackson

UniversalSoldier
Conscript

Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:37 am

Seems like i will try that first but i will wait for the price to drop at least. Are there any demos to try at all?

Durk

Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:41 pm

Welcome to the Forums.

To my knowledge there really are not any demos, but there are excellent AARs which will provide a pretty detailed look into the game design and features. There are also some excellent videos on how to play the game which also provide a good examination of the game system.

I would recommend selecting your first title based upon the particular conflict which most interests you historically. Because these games are detailed studies of each conflict, familiarity with a conflict will help provide a framework for your initial play. Each title is very replayable. In part this is due to a variety of scenarios as in the Wars in America and Alea Jacta Est. Games which cover a broad expanse of history or the complexity of possible strategies and tactics found in all the titles.

Part of my recommendation would be based upon how your learn games and play them. If you like to just fire up and game and play without too much study Wars in America and Alea Jacta Est are the most approachable titles as they do not have the complication of command structure and detailed supply. Production is more by game event and the ratio of forces is small.
Civil War 2 and To End All Wars are deeply rich and complex. You will need to invest time in learning these games. This forum has lots of advice and examples, but you will not pick up these games and be playing as a veteran in a week.

One benefit of coming to the forum is that just when you think you have exhausted a game's possibilities, you can join in pbem play. The challenge other players present will make you think you have a brand new game as you learn the games at even a deeper level.

One thing I love about Alea Jacta Est is that historical events only fire when you have made some particular action. While some players are frustrated they cannot simply flip through a manual and find all the possibilities of lines of action, it is a true delight to try a different and be rewarded with a nice bonus or surprised because you now have a new enemy. This is a game which will reward study of the actual history to understand better play.

Let your historical interest guide you AEGOD games cover many conflicts not well covered. The Spanish Civil War and Russian Revolution are two such. The new Thirty Years War is a unique treatment of this not well understood time.

Have fun with whichever game you first select.

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:09 am

I think the old answer would have been Wars in America. However, the engine has been updated and changed quite a bit since then. For a good dose of gameplay using the AGE engine, the best would probably be Alea Jacta Est. It offers simple scenarios, a simplified recruitment panel, and the newer features like event cards and army/corps construction. Games like End all Wars and Civil War II are great, but they are challenging, have a larger scope, and are very time intensive.

UniversalSoldier
Conscript

Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:19 am

Little follow up on this. Sorry for bringing up an old thread but i must say that i purchased Espana 1936, and Civil War 2 so far and they are both great games. The amount of depth is great and im in love with them. I will most likely be adding to my AGEOD collection very soon.

Grim Madder
Private

Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:42 pm

Birth of America 2 is still a great place to start. If you have any interest in the Ancients at all, Alea Jacta Est is fantastic.

Return to “General discussions”