Franciscus

My experience with Windows 10

Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi guys.

I just wanted to share with you my experience with Windows 10, and perhaps know about yours.

My main PC is an iMac 27 from 2011, in which I run Windows 7 in dual boot (mainly for Ageod work and play :) ). Everything works like a breeze, in OsX and Win7

I also have a 2010 Asus N61J laptop, also with Windows 7, that I rarely use (being an avid and heavy iPad user for my portable needs). I received the update notice and thought, what the heck, why not try it ? I updated Windows 7 with latest upgrades, cleaned up my registry and defragged the HD. After downloading the huge upgrade, several hours went by in the process of updating to Windows 10. End result: an unresponsive black screen. After waiting a lot of time and several hard reboots later I finally managed to downgrade to Windows 7, and will stay that way until "hell freezes over".
I am so fed up with Microsoft and crappy Windows...

This contrasts with my experience in upgrading OS X: I upgraded Mountain Lion to Mavericks, and then to Yosemite, quickly and without a single glitch. Luckily, it seems Apple says that my iMac is "not compatible" with Windows 10 (I am sure it is, though), but I will never even think to try... ;)

Thoughts ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:21 pm

Build a true pc. Macintosh had (until some years) always wanted to be not compatible, so it's dangerous to put Windows on.

Franciscus

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:54 pm

ERISS wrote:Build a true pc. Macintosh had (until some years) always wanted to be not compatible, so it's dangerous to put Windows on.

Been there, done that. Before switching to Mac, I was a PC/windows man. The last desktop PC I had was almost totally built by me: mobo, CPU, RAM, graphic card, the works.
But I simply got tired of all the constant need for upgrades, driver updates, incompatibilities, etc.
The switch to Mac was driven by the top experience given by the iPhone/Ipad, I admit, but never regret it. OSX is just a much much better operating system, IMHO.
Windows 7 resides in a separate partition, managed by Bootcamp, and it's the better and most stable Windows experience I ever had. No Security issues at all until now (of course, firewall and AV software are in use in the Windows partition)

But I don't want to turn this into the usual Mac vs Windows discussion.

I just wanted to share my experience with a Windows 10 upgrade epic failure in a simple, regular, Windows only laptop.

Cheers
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:59 am

I know, I had worked on Mac too. I think the Mac is for professional work, not for personal gaming use (I don't have any Mac at home).
I know it can be so boring sometimes when a PC goes bad, then the freedom it gives is eaten in so lost time. However I prefer the pc freedom (yeah even there's Microsoft..), even it may cost much sometimes. However, with Steam invading the pc, I wonder if the pc will reach the drawbacks of both: locked like a Mac, with still the PC problems.
Those who like Steam should logically go on Mac: Steamboyz, leave the PC alone! lol

Lafrite

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:58 am

I am so fed up with Microsoft and crappy Windows...

Imac 27 from 2011 ? Apple's drivers are in fault..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204990#models

Disclaimer : My main computer at work is an Imac :cool:

Franciscus

Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:10 pm

Yes, I know. I am in fact very happy that Apple"doesn't let me" upgrade Windows 7 bootcamp to crappy 10... :)

But: no one upgraded to 10 ? Has anybody encountered problems or just me ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:51 pm

Franciscus wrote:no one upgraded to 10? Has anybody encountered problems?

I did upgrade.
But I had already Windows 8.1, and as Windows 10 is rather a free Windows 8.2 patch, it went well.
The only difference I see is that the interface is now ugly.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:38 am

Lafrite wrote:Disclaimer : My main computer at work is an Imac :cool:

For me, since 10 years all went to PC.
I think it is for Linux and the free softwares, as it makes the PC even less expensive (being less dependant from Microsoft) than the Mac, despite the added work for the computers department.

lodilefty

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:21 pm

New laptop, Upgrade from 8.1 to 10 went smoothly, all is well. Some ugly icons, but otherwise it seems to be an improvement!

I wonder if your old laptop had enough RAM/CPU to run 10?
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

richfed

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:56 pm

I upgraded from 8.1. Then I did a clean Windows 10 install. It all went smoothly. A clean install got rid of a few quirky things that were going on initially --- like auto play not working, live tile issues, etc. All is good now ... seems smooth, stable, and intuitive.

Franciscus

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:53 pm

lodilefty wrote:New laptop, Upgrade from 8.1 to 10 went smoothly, all is well. Some ugly icons, but otherwise it seems to be an improvement!

I wonder if your old laptop had enough RAM/CPU to run 10?

Hi Lodi :thumbsup:

My laptop has an i7 Core CPU and 4G RAM, it should be more than enough...

A quick google search about my issue (black screen) shows lots of pages and may users with similar issues - and a lot of possible "solutions", some laughable. I suspect the issue may lie with my graphic card (a decent ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 with 1G VRAM) drivers and some incompatibility with Windows 10. But frankly, I couldn't care less. I have no problems with Windows 7 on my laptop (that I rarely use) and no problems with Windows 7 on my iMac. I will stay away from Windows 10 as: I have no need for it; and I am very suspicious about all the stories about added "eavesdropping" capabilities of Windows 10 and auto updates. And I have no more time to waste trying to solve windows-created problems.

I must say I am very glad that there is a clear trend for new games to be released for several operating systems: Most GOG games that are being released have windows, Mac and Linux versions (ex: The great Pillars of Eternity; The just released gems of Forgotten realms "gold box" games, etc.). I hope the windows-dependency becomes soon a thing of the past. Why not ?? ;)

(A note about Microsoft products and professional work: I am a physician and work in a Portuguese public hospital. All our PC's have still Windows XP - that is no longer supported by Microsoft :mdr: - the IT department of our hospitals is a joke: the servers are overloaded, all programs are slow, and we are pretty sure that both windows and office versions we have for work are no longer "legit". It is a mystery to me why public services don't use free-open source software...)

Cheers
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:12 pm

Franciscus wrote:Most GOG games

That's sad that some Ageod games are on Steam and none at GOG'.
Since years I had ask Ageod to at least put one of their oldest game here (like Battlefront did): it could have made them a free advert (and even bringing some cash) by GOG customers, I'm sure many don't even know about Ageod.
http://www.gog.com/game/combat_mission_beyond_overlord

Niccolò de' Niccoli
Civilian

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:53 am

I run all my AGEod games in a virtual machine in Parallels Desktop on OS X. I have upgraded that VM to Windows 10 recently and didn't have any issues with it so far (apart from the already mentioned ugliness of the Win 10 UI ;) )

czert2
Brigadier General

Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:33 pm

my bro upgraded recently to w10 from w7 and he i saying that everthing is faster for him, and i plan to upgrade booth my pc and tablet to w10 from w7/8.
will report in short time.

Nivin17
Civilian

Problem to edit a message

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:42 am

I upgraded to Windows 10 on my Surface 3. The process was very easy. Then I noticed my WiFi was gone – gone so that it did not pick up any networks and had a big red X on the icon. When I went into Settings, Network and Internet the Wireless was off. I pushed the “switch” to on, but it either would not stay in the on position or if it did, it would do nothing. When I left the page and went back, it was off again. All the fixes I found online started with updates, but without WiFi that was not going to work. My fix after a couple of days and a couple of people trying to get the wireless back on was to re-install Windows 8.1. My WiFi is back.

Return to “General discussions”