Franciscus

Pillars of Eternity !

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:39 am

Hi

A terrible menace to my sleeping hours has been released :)

Pillars of Eternity, by Obsidian, is an amazing RPG; a worthy sucessor to the golden age of Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment, no doubt about it!
I have just barely scratched the surface, but the magic IS there ! The expectations created, (with such guys as Josh Sawyer, Chrs Avellone and Feargus Urquhart in the team) are, IMHO, more than fulfilled.

A must for any true CRPG-fan, IMHO

(and it's available for Windows, Linux and Mac, as all games should be ;) ; and not only on Steam but also in good old GOG :thumbsup :)

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pocus

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:38 am

I don't have bought it yet, but it is definitively on my radar. There is an article about it in RPS for people wanting more details.

So, how good is their RPG system? What about dialogs and branching?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:34 pm

I'm rather waiting for Torment:
https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

Franciscus

Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:30 am

@ Eriss: yes, I have already pledged for Torment: Tides of Numenera
Too many games, too little time... :wacko:

@ Pocus: regarding PoE, as I said, I have barely started, and during this week I'm on vacation and did NOT bring my PC :)
But the RPG looks very solid. An example: the very first "encounter", I believe, can only end in a certain way, but the dialog/action choices are many, and make me believe there are many ways to get there...
And the small details that bring a smile to one's face are there: in one particular action, while we are treated to beautiful drawn pictures and texts, a (possible) member of our party is wounded and is attacked while the player is safe on the top of a cliff. We are presented with several choices, including of course leaving the poor sod to his fate. But the other choices depend on your character's class: a fighter may try to throw his sword/axe at the enemy; but I, as an elf ranger, get the choice to try and shoot the enemy with my bow. Solid stuff !!

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Holy Diver
Private

Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:57 pm

ERISS wrote:I'm rather waiting for Torment:
https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

Really??!! New Torment? I didn't know about it. I can't wait hope this would be at least as good as the old one. PLanscape was a masterpiece

Pocus

Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:35 am

I enjoyed Wasteland 2 but did not finish it in the end, I got bored by combats.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Hobbes

Mon May 04, 2015 7:46 pm

I will definitely get PoE eventually. Got fed up trying to remember how to install BG with all the mods from PC to PC. So many games to play. I'm still trying to learn Crusader Kings 2 (may take me a few years). I want to try a few other AGEOD games as well. Sovereignty: Crown of Kings along with a few others also look interesting. I seem to do better with more simple games like Unity of Command or Vietnam 65. Getting too old for huge games I fear :( (Unless I end up in jail with PC access I think War in the Pacific will remain a dream). For the tablet I'm enjoying Neuroshima Hex - anyone else tried this? Seems the perfect tablet strategy game.

Cheers,
Chris

Pocus

Tue May 05, 2015 8:36 am

I got the free version, as I really appreciated 'Hoplite' and wanted something vaguely similar but I need to put more time into it. Do you think the full version is a must, for Neuroshima?

Hobbes

Tue May 05, 2015 10:01 pm

I think the free version of Neuroshima is good. Depends how much you play it - there are some very interesting factions to be bought in the full game. I bought all as they are only about 60p each. Armies such as Neojungle and Dancer certainly add a lot of interest to the game.

Hobbes

Tue May 05, 2015 10:17 pm

P.S. One slightly bizarre app I would recommend is Flightradar24. Strangely relaxing sitting in the garden with the cricket on and a beer in hand being able to identify the planes overhead on my tablet. You know where they came from, where they are going to - what type of plane it is. It almost feels like a magical ability. + you get a feeling for the sky above you. You can start to anticipate where a plane will appear etc. I never thought I would become a plane spotter :) Worth a try. I would never use the app when people are sitting with me :)

Cheers,
Chris

Ebbingford

Tue May 05, 2015 10:43 pm

If you live by the sea this is similar http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/home

I'm not up to speed with the new technology, apps, tablets, etc, so a web page works well though :cool:
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 06, 2015 7:47 pm

There is Phantom leader in PC. Doesn't seem so it has sofisticated board game cards&rules. I'm waiting; from the same designer of 'Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic war' another game with pbem capability. Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations seems as a good sim but I doubt it is a 'game' in our sense. Oh it was a RPG game topic.. :D

Return to “General discussions”