75+
0%
You don't really want to know
No votes

Total votes: 576
Pocus

What is your age? (poll)

Fri May 04, 2007 11:26 am

We would be interested to know how the population split between age categories... Old Grognards or young blood, give us the info we want! :nuts:

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Rafiki

Fri May 04, 2007 12:09 pm

So far, I'm one of the youngsters here, it seems, at 33.

(Relatively speaking, of course ;) )
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Fri May 04, 2007 12:44 pm

Now, we're both in the strongest age group, 30-40. :cool:

Pocus

Fri May 04, 2007 1:21 pm

I'm very interested to know if the wargaming community is receiving younger players... this would be a good thing for the future of the games we like.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Chamberlain
Captain

Fri May 04, 2007 4:01 pm

Rafiki wrote:So far, I'm one of the youngsters here, it seems, at 33.

And so far, I'm the old timer at 51, but it's only a number.... :hat:

It has to be the PC games that keep me feeling young :niark:

Chamberlain

ltc taplett
Conscript

Fri May 04, 2007 4:04 pm

Actually the period of the game might influence the age bracket of the players :

I think you will probably find proportionally more younger players in WWII war games than in American Ciwil War or AWI or whatever.

pasternakski
Colonel

Fri May 04, 2007 5:45 pm

Chamberlain wrote:And so far, I'm the old timer at 51

Bah, humbug, sonny, y'ain't but a spring chicken.

I might not be older than dirt, but I remember when we was the only family in town to have any. Hee hee.

Age demographics are a two-headed beast for computer wargame companies, it seems to me. You've got to attract younger customers to maintain an economically viable base, but by pandering to their tastes, you run the risk of losing the interest of the older folk whose purchases helped you get started in the first place (of course, they erode with time like the Sphinx's face, only a lot faster).

One such company (nameless, of course) in which I once believed implicitly and with which I used to do business has managed to alienate me almost completely due to their frenzied pandering to the diaper-clad "dumb it way down and make it pretend to be in real time" set.

Of course, it doesn't help when I try to make payment with cheques chiseled in rock and drawn on the First Hammurabi National Bank...

Dr. Zoidberg
Civilian

Fri May 04, 2007 9:02 pm

Rafiki wrote:So far, I'm one of the youngsters here, it seems, at 33.

Pah, step aside monkey!
15 here. And already an accomplished lurker. :D

Jayavarman
Lieutenant

Sat May 05, 2007 2:40 am

I think we have a healthy demographic for at least another ten years. :D
"Sad fragility of human things! What riches and treasures of art will remain forever buried beneath these ruins; how many distinguished men - artists, sovereigns, and warriors - are now forgotten!"

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Rafiki

Sat May 05, 2007 5:53 am

Chamberlain wrote:And so far, I'm the old timer at 51, but it's only a number.... :hat:

It might just be a number, but it's a fairly large number, don't you think? ;)

[SIZE="1"](Sorry, couldn't help myself.... :D )[/size]
Jayavarman wrote:I think we have a healthy demographic for at least another ten years. :D

Indeed, especially when we get young whippersnappers like yourself among us :)

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Dunhill_BKK
Sergeant

Sat May 05, 2007 6:46 am

I have a feeling the larger brackets seem to relate to those folks who were young when boardgames really started to take off. I'm thinking of Avalon Hill and games like Squad Leader (or ASL).

I still fondly remember Gettysburg '77 as one of my first games.

ltc taplett
Conscript

Sat May 05, 2007 8:01 am

Dunhill_BKK wrote:I have a feeling the larger brackets seem to relate to those folks who were young when boardgames really started to take off. I'm thinking of Avalon Hill and games like Squad Leader (or ASL).

Yeah, you're probably right here. I suppose that over the years these gamers developped a large interest in many periods of time and conflicts.
So maybe the youngsters who directly started with WWI related computer games will just do the same in say, 10 years or so. :nuts:

PDF

Sat May 05, 2007 9:11 am

ltc taplett wrote:Yeah, you're probably right here. I suppose that over the years these gamers developped a large interest in many periods of time and conflicts.
So maybe the youngsters who directly started with WWI related computer games will just do the same in say, 10 years or so. :nuts:

Right for me also, one of my first wargames was SL when it came out in '78, I was 14 ... :8o: :sourcil:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun May 06, 2007 7:31 am

Mhmmm, I can see a clear bell shaped pattern... :indien:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant
Location: Born and raised in Lincolnton,NC, currently living in Honolulu,HI

Sun May 06, 2007 9:03 am

Dunhill_BKK wrote:I have a feeling the larger brackets seem to relate to those folks who were young when boardgames really started to take off. I'm thinking of Avalon Hill and games like Squad Leader (or ASL).

Sir, I have to agree 100% with you on this. I grew up wargaming and computer products that are turn-based will always appeal to me more, although this might have something to do with the fact that I cant point and click fast enough to be competetive in a real-time game against human opponents :cuit: To me these games remind me of the "good old days" of wargaming.

in 1977 I was ten years old and went to my local hobby shop to get a airplane model of some sort, when the owner asked me if I might be interested in wargaming. I told him I sure. He sold me a new copy of AH's Starship Troopers for ten dollars. ( It was all I had and he was looking for new opponents.)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Thirty years and over 100 different boardgames later, I'm still at it. Thank you John wherever you are now. You brought me more joy than you will ever know.
[CENTER]Grand Campaign Project[/CENTER][CENTER]President of the Confederate States of America[/CENTER][CENTER]Jefferson Davis[/CENTER][CENTER]Image [/CENTER]

Lasse
Sergeant

Sun May 06, 2007 10:02 am

28 here (but dirt poor as a elevenyear old that's just blown his allowance in the candyshop :niark: )

pasternakski
Colonel

Sun May 06, 2007 7:19 pm

Korrigan wrote:Mhmmm, I can see a clear bell shaped pattern... :indien:

...and I'm sitting right on the rim under the spot where the clapper hits.

I'm just glad someone has joined me in the "we're so old, we're not counting anymore" club. Now, if some real geezer would weigh in at over 60, I would be so happy ... removes bifocals, wipes away a tear

My first wargame was Tactics II. Man, I loved that game. I studied and worked on it until I thought I had created the perfect plan.

So, I went over to my friend Mike's house. We broke out his copy and set 'em up. I started my first move, busily running my units down those little red roads, when he stopped me. "I don't think you can get to that square." I looked at the board. His copy was slightly misprinted, so that the roads didn't run exactly through the corners of the squares. Mike maintained that you had to count every square the road went through (which slowed things down considerably, of course, and turned my "perfect plan" into nonsense). I argued that the designer's intention was obviously to run the roads through the corners of the squares, but good ole Mike wasn't buying it.

We played anyway. It was great fun. Oh, and Mike? A couple of years later, he and another friend of mine got into a fistfight over a game of D-Day. Duked it out right there in his mom's parlor. Scattered the game all over the room. The rest of us jumped in to break 'em up, and it turned into a four-kid free-for-all. His mom kicked us out and banned us from ever coming back (she reluctantly kept her boy Mike).

Ah, those were the days...

Lasse
Sergeant

Sun May 06, 2007 9:47 pm

ROFL :niark:

hkbhsi
Private

Mon May 07, 2007 2:34 pm

I am 37 and very happy to notice that a lot of people of the boardgame generation still play wargames after all this time. Cheers :siffle:

RELee
Lieutenant

Mon May 07, 2007 7:47 pm

DLing the demo as I write, confident in my abilities to crash and burn the 1st ten times out of the gate.

You just had to know that all the old grognards would wake up for this game. There was a reason why so many ACW titles were released as board games.

Plus, I just have this weak spot for new game companies, mom and pop shops, kittens, and anything ACW.

Caissa
Civilian

Thu May 10, 2007 10:34 pm

I am 37 and very happy to notice that a lot of people of the boardgame generation still play wargames after all this time. Cheers

Forever... ;) , I am 32 years old

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Age?

Fri May 11, 2007 5:08 am

Humbug! I am 64 and planning to go on and on and ... !! My first game was the original Gettysburg in early 60s. Much joy and sorrow. Tag :cwboy:

pasternakski
Colonel

Fri May 11, 2007 5:19 am

tagwyn wrote:Humbug! I am 64 and planning to go on and on and ... !! My first game was the original Gettysburg in early 60s. Much joy and sorrow. Tag :cwboy:

Please, tagwyn, I'm 58, and I haven't been called "sonny" or "punk" or any of that kind of stuff in a long time...

I feel so good now that I see there are a bunch of us "too old to rock & roll, too young to die" types here.

Ah, the original Gettysburg. First time I played it, we used the optional "lose a leader and his entire command is eliminated" rule. Woe was I when I discovered that just having a unit next to the square in which your HQ sat did not prevent an enemy unit from ignoring the combat unit immediately in its face so as to attack across the square corner into the next one and zap your HQ unit.

Oh, well. I guess I was always kind of a six-sided guy...

Lannes
Major

Fri May 11, 2007 7:55 am

I have 39

Ayeshteni
Captain

Fri May 11, 2007 3:17 pm

31 and still going strong.

Disappointed to see some certain reprobates posting here :fleb: Thought I had escaped them. :niark:

As someone else mentioned earlier, I think you will find people 'of a certain age' here. A WWII will bring in the new bloods (so please don't make one :p apy: )

Aye.

Adlertag

Fri May 11, 2007 7:47 pm

So currently, the most interesting thing is : what is the reward in this poll for voting in the line " even beyond that" after line 150 years old ?

Something like : "rest in peace " or else ?? :niark:
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

pasternakski
Colonel

Fri May 11, 2007 11:28 pm

Adlertag wrote:So currently, the most interesting thing is : what is the reward in this poll for voting in the line " even beyond that" after line 150 years old ?

Something like : "rest in peace " or else ?? :niark:

Hmmmph. When 900 years old YOU are, look so good you may not...

tremy
Corporal

Sat May 12, 2007 4:06 am

pasternakski wrote:Please, tagwyn, I'm 58, and I haven't been called "sonny" or "punk" or any of that kind of stuff in a long time...

I feel so good now that I see there are a bunch of us "too old to rock & roll, too young to die" types here.

Ah, the original Gettysburg. First time I played it, we used the optional "lose a leader and his entire command is eliminated" rule. Woe was I when I discovered that just having a unit next to the square in which your HQ sat did not prevent an enemy unit from ignoring the combat unit immediately in its face so as to attack across the square corner into the next one and zap your HQ unit.

Oh, well. I guess I was always kind of a six-sided guy...

Your posts are always entertaining and informative Pasternakski,I didn't realise that your just a snotty nosed kid and you can't hit me cos I'm a pensioner and I wear glasses!

pasternakski
Colonel

Sat May 12, 2007 5:29 am

tremy wrote:Your posts are always entertaining and informative Pasternakski,

Shhhh... don't let my kids hear you say that - they still think I'm an arrogant smart@$$, and I like it that way. Keeps down my expenses for travel and holidays...

I didn't realise that your just a snotty nosed kid and you can't hit me cos I'm a pensioner and I wear glasses!

Hey! After you reach a certain age, geezers are allowed to duke it out no matter their handicaps or other patheticness ... makes for great humor videos fer the younger folk.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed how, now that a bunch of us have escaped from the nursing home and crawled out of the iron lung to "vote" in this poll how that "bell curve" Korrigan was talking about seems to have developed a - shall we call it - "post-middle-age bulge."

Gray Panther power! Right on, brothers!

err ... ummmm ... what the heck was it I was so excited about ... ?

Rafiki

Sat May 12, 2007 1:20 pm

I'm tempted to post a poll:
[CENTER]
"Which of the following images comes to your mind when you hear tremy and pasternakski talking"

Image Image

:niark: [/CENTER]

Ayeshteni wrote:Disappointed to see some certain reprobates posting here :fleb: Thought I had escaped them. :niark:

I know *exactly* what you mean ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Return to “General discussions”