Hobbes

Halloween Quiz 2013

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:11 pm

[ATTACH]25216[/ATTACH]
Hi folks, another year another quiz!

Maybe this would be more apt (Harry)
[ATTACH]25217[/ATTACH]

This year has a Civil War theme although as always any posts are welcome - they don't even have to have a Halloween theme.
(See previous year's Halloween threads if you are new to this).

To win the wonderful mystery prizes (yes prizes!) simply PM me with the answers to the questions in the post below and your name will go into the hat for the draw on the 31st.
Attachments
Harry.jpg
HQ.jpg

Hobbes

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:16 pm

The first question. Name the famous Civil War skeleton below:
[ATTACH]25223[/ATTACH]

The second. Name the four movies:
[ATTACH]25227[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25226[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]25225[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25224[/ATTACH]

Answers in a PM before October 31st! I don't normally get many entries so if you know the answers you will have a very good chance of winning.

Don't forget to post anything that comes to mind! Pets with Pumpkins (or without) most welcome.

Cheers,
Chris
Attachments
Q4.jpg
Q3.png
Q2.jpg
Q1.PNG
Quiz.png

Hobbes

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:23 pm

Anyone have any good Halloween wallpapers? Strange this - if I set as desktop background from the forum image it's poor.
If I save to desktop and then open it and set as desktop it's fine.
[ATTACH]25261[/ATTACH]
Attachments
H2.PNG

Hobbes

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:59 pm

Only one correct entry so far (Mr Palpat is in the hat). Don't be afraid to give it a shot - if you are wrong I won't tell anyone :)
+ we want to see your pets!

Cheers,
Chris

Hobbes

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:46 pm

[ATTACH]25350[/ATTACH]

By the flow of the inland river,
Whence the fleets of iron have fled,
Where the blades of the grave-grass quiver,
Asleep are the ranks of the dead:
Under the sod and the dew,
Waiting the judgment-day;
Under the one, the Blue,
Under the other, the Gray

Francis Miles Finch
Attachments
ACWSoldier.jpg

Hobbes

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:50 pm

[ATTACH]25380[/ATTACH]

Can you hear the call? :cthulhu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHuY2wXTd0o

The thread is getting desperate - but at least we have a few entries now. The skeleton seems to be causing some problems.
So in desperation one turns to prog rock! Everyone has a favourite prog rock link right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDXccU0xgNo
Attachments
Cthulhu.jpg

Hobbes

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:28 pm

I have a feeling that the skeleton question may be a little too difficult so here is a clue. This young lady would probably know his name.
Really helps doesn't it? :)
[ATTACH]25385[/ATTACH]

There are several clues in this thread for any detectives out there - sorry for Palpat who managed to get all correct without the need for clues but it's for fun :)
I'll cut your hat slip a little bigger.
Attachments
Rigacci.PNG

Jim-NC

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:50 am

The skeleton's really tough. And your clues aren't shedding any light.

I must say that I prefer progressive rock bands that make concert albums.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pocus

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:36 am

amazing Cthulhu image, do you have it in bigger format Hobbes?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Hobbes

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:36 pm

That's the largest I can find I'm afraid

Franciscus

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Can't say who the skeleton is (was) :blink:

And although knowing fully well that I am derailing this thread :mdr: , and that Pink Floyd is not (to me and others) ProgRock, I can't resist to post a link to the version of Echoes by David Gilmour, the late Rick Wright :( and assorted friends, live at Gdansk in 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thwwd3S9rmA

Even if without Roger and Nick, to me, it is the best version of one of the best songs ever made (and it beats the Yes song by more than 2 minutes :neener :)

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Franciscus

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Now...Susana Rigacci...Ennio Morricone...Once Upon a Time in the West (amazing movie, seen it again a couple of weeks ago), A Fistful of Dynamite, The Good the bad and the ugly...

There are skeletons in that last one...

:wacko:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Franciscus

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:50 pm

Hobbes wrote:I have a feeling that the skeleton question may be a little too difficult so here is a clue. This young lady would probably know his name.
Really helps doesn't it? :)
[ATTACH]25385[/ATTACH]

There are several clues in this thread for any detectives out there - sorry for Palpat who managed to get all correct without the need for clues but it's for fun :)
I'll cut your hat slip a little bigger.

Haha !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hobbes

Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:04 pm

Franciscus wrote:Can't say who the skeleton is (was) :blink:

And although knowing fully well that I am derailing this thread :mdr: , and that Pink Floyd is not (to me and others) ProgRock, I can't resist to post a link to the version of Echoes by David Gilmour, the late Rick Wright :( and assorted friends, live at Gdansk in 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thwwd3S9rmA

Even if without Roger and Nick, to me, it is the best version of one of the best songs ever made (and it beats the Yes song by more than 2 minutes :neener :)

Regards

I'll see your Echoes and raise you a Supper's Ready in the duration stakes - at least 56 seconds longer :)
Another Brick in The Wall put me off Pink Floyd although I know they have many better songs. Never got into Zeppelin either for some reason.

For me it was Genesis (early of course) and Yes. My friends (mostly male) would come around and sit in my bedroom watching a slide show I'd prepared of photos of the moon and stars taken through my 2.5 inch telescope (dots on a light polluted background) while smoking dope (didn't inhale future employers) and listening to stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1UyZy-3Y-0

We thought we were having a good time. Then we would play chess with drinking fines when a piece was lost (sterilized milk).
Happy days.

We now have TWO correct entries and several fails! I ordered the prizes today - well worth winning you know - and shipped anywhere in the world.
Keep trying on the skeleton folks - there are enough clues in the thread to work it out. If you get it wrong you can try again.

Cheers,
Chris

Hobbes

Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Several more entries but still only two correct. The skeleton is the problem in most cases.

Time for some Calvin and Hobbes.
[ATTACH]25419[/ATTACH]

Not many posters. Where are the Aphrodites and Yellows this year?
Attachments
CH1.jpg

Hobbes

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:39 pm

There is Starship Troopers by Mr Heinlein and then there is Starship Troopers the movie (Hmmm :( ).
And then there is Starship Troopers by Yes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jhk5MEugJY

One of the best games ever made if you could find somebody to play it against.
A game with grenade sized nuclear weapons that talk, 'Spider' tunnels and dogs with psi abilities.
Could a wargame be any better?
[ATTACH]25424[/ATTACH]

In his 1959 novel Starship Troopers, Robert Heinlein refers to talking bombs that speak an alien language (to creatures called "skinnys").
This was a special bomb, one issued to each of us for this mission with instructions to use them if we found ways to make them effective.
The squawking I heard as I threw it was the bomb shouting in skinny talk (free translation): "I'm a thirty second bomb! I'm a thirty second bomb!
Twenty-nine! Twenty-eight! Twenty-seven!..."

Tactical Oxygen Nuke, or simply "Nuke", refers to grenade-sized tactical nuclear munitions used by the Mobile Infantry in the First Bug War.
Attachments
ST.jpg

Franciscus

Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:09 pm

Hobbes wrote:I'll see your Echoes and raise you a Supper's Ready in the duration stakes - at least 56 seconds longer :)
Another Brick in The Wall put me off Pink Floyd although I know they have many better songs. Never got into Zeppelin either for some reason.

For me it was Genesis (early of course) and Yes. My friends (mostly male) would come around and sit in my bedroom watching a slide show I'd prepared of photos of the moon and stars taken through my 2.5 inch telescope (dots on a light polluted background) while smoking dope (didn't inhale future employers) and listening to stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1UyZy-3Y-0

We thought we were having a good time. Then we would play chess with drinking fines when a piece was lost (sterilized milk).
Happy days.

We now have TWO correct entries and several fails! I ordered the prizes today - well worth winning you know - and shipped anywhere in the world.
Keep trying on the skeleton folks - there are enough clues in the thread to work it out. If you get it wrong you can try again.

Cheers,
Chris

I agree that Peter Gabriel is a genius and for complete showmanship in live concerts there are few who reach even close. See for example the brilliant Live at Athens 1987 Blu-Ray recently released and admire a great performer at one of it's solo career peaks.

Pink Floyd on the other hand most certainly did not get their fame by their dancing habilities on stage :mdr:

--

Now, trying to bring together a bit the Halloween and Classic Rock themes :) , I give you this live presentation of Careful With That Axe, Eugene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMpGdG27K9o

(A pity so little good quality stuff of Pink Floyd acting live in the 70's exist... :( )

Even after so many years, I regularly put my remastered Ummagumma live CD and play this "happy" tune. And my hairs still raise when Roger start screaming... :wacko:

(Note that this was on an age when bass guitars could still smoke on stage :neener: ...and whatever they did smoke, was certainly of a better quality than what is available for the instruments of today...:mdr :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hobbes

Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:18 pm

Franciscus wrote:Now, trying to bring together a bit the Halloween and Classic Rock themes :) , I give you this live presentation of Careful With That Axe, Eugene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMpGdG27K9o

(Note that this was on an age when bass guitars could still smoke on stage :neener: ...and whatever they did smoke, was certainly of a better quality than what is available for the instruments of today...:mdr :)

:thumbsup: I could definitely get into this.

Hobbes

Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:38 pm

You wouldn't find the name of the skeleton on this stone. I think that is it clue wise.
[ATTACH]25434[/ATTACH]
Attachments
NoName.PNG

Hobbes

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:51 pm

[ATTACH]25461[/ATTACH]
2-3 quarts water
Juice from 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 stalk celery with leaves, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped

2-3 dozen crawdads, gathered from nearby stream, upstream from where men have bathed, relieved themselves, or exercised the horses. Chop or twist off upper body of crawdad and throw them to the company dog, as only the tail has enough meat to be worth eating. Combine everything except crawdads in pot over fire and heat to boiling. Add crawdads and heat till it boils again, then back off from fire and cook until meat is opaque all the way through. Remove and eat at once or put in cold water to eat later; if left in hot water they will get overdone and tough.

Three correct so far! Still a week to enter.
Attachments
ACW1.jpg

Pocus

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:53 am

Your trivia is very hard for my feeble mind.

I always wondered what is the colored plastic part in Starship troopers, the wargame? Never got a chance to play it though, even if as a teenage I always wanted to put my hands on it. I know that PhilThib owns a copy, perhaps I should rob him? :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Hobbes

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:18 pm

On the map to the north east? That's a Skinny city. I didn't play it much as I could never find an opponent.

Hobbes

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:36 pm

[ATTACH]25493[/ATTACH]
In the early 1860s, the photographer William Mumler developed a self-portrait that appeared to feature the apparition of his cousin who had been dead for 12 years. This is widely credited as the first spirit photograph —a photograph of a living subject featuring the likeness of a deceased person imprinted by the spirit of the deceased. Spirit photography is thought to have been a lucrative business thanks to the families of those killed during the American Civil War seeking reassurance that their relatives lived on. His most famous work is the photograph of Mary Todd Lincoln with the "ghost" of her husband Abraham Lincoln.

We now have four correct answers. Gradually getting up to the regular number (about six :) )
Attachments
Lincoln.jpg

Hobbes

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:15 am

[ATTACH]25510[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25511[/ATTACH]

http://www.civilwarbummer.com/home/
Attachments
B2.PNG
B1.PNG

Hobbes

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:37 am

[ATTACH]25535[/ATTACH]
Still time to get an entry in folks! The draw will be made at 21:00 GMT tomorrow evening.

Good luck!
Chris
Attachments
W1.jpg

Pocus

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:49 am

'nice' drawing. You seem to enjoy fantasy, right?

Hobbes

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Pocus wrote:'nice' drawing. You seem to enjoy fantasy, right?

Well I'm still playing Baldur's Gate and still meaning to get into Dominions when I have time :)

A link I think Yellow would approve
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/oct/29/halloween-holiday-top-10-scariest-europe

Hobbes

Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:07 am

[ATTACH]25553[/ATTACH]
Last bump!

I should say that the Halloween prizes also have an American Civil War
theme so if you are interested in that then you still have time to enter.
If you are already in the pot but have no interest then PM me and I
will desecrate your entry.
Attachments
W2.jpg

Hobbes

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:03 pm

[ATTACH]25567[/ATTACH]
Attachments
W1.PNG

Hobbes

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:35 pm

Only four names in the hat this year. A poor turnout but a worthy winner!

As far as the clues go – they were not easy. But a quiz with difficult clues is a rare thing these days.
Not such a bad thing I think. The name of the young lady mentioned could be found by the filename of the photo – Rigacci.
Type this into Google or YouTube in particular and you would soon find yourself in Spaghetti Western territory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUNVBGHiBY0

Once there “Ecstasy of Gold” would come up and the clip would reveal a name on a grave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubVc2MQwMkg

Look a little longer and the skeleton would be seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP9cfQx2OZY

The skeleton was Arch Stanton
The films: Gone with the Wind, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Lincoln and The Horse Soldiers

As to the other minor clues. The rock could be found in the film “The Good the Bad and the Ugly” and the filename “NoName” alluded to the
main Spaghetti Western protagonist and also the unmarked grave adjacent to Arch Stantons and the fact that there was no name on the rock
Also “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” was one of the films in the second question.

Well done Jim. Perseverance can pay off! Please PM the address you would like me to send the prizes to.

Return to “General discussions”