Pocus

Jon Shafer post-mortem of Civ5

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:51 pm

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonshafer/jon-shafers-at-the-gates/posts/404789

An interesting article on what the lead designer of Civ5 thinks about the design process of the game, admitting some errors etc. Very honest of him.

I think he forgot to mention that he did not listen enough to betas. :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Pocus wrote: on what the lead designer of Civ5 thinks about the design process of the game, admitting some errors etc. Very honest of him.
I think he forgot to mention that he did not listen enough to betas. :)

Not honest: he even does not talk about the decision of removing the game from the pc non-console users.
Maybe the game will be someday released on pc (GOG?), removing the need of the Steam console.
But Civ4 is still the best even for many Steam adepts.

koningtiger
Lieutenant

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Now, he has another project, looks like civ 2. What doesnt a bad omen.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonshafer/jon-shafers-at-the-gates

Well, perhaps IF there is a second expansion for civ V people will began to modding. I think civ 4 dint become legendary until BTS, after all, right now the best mods for it are on the works.

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:57 pm

ERISS wrote:Not honest: he even does not talk about the decision of removing the game from the pc non-console users.
Maybe the game will be someday released on pc (GOG?), removing the need of the Steam console.
But Civ4 is still the best even for many Steam adepts.

+ 1 ! Civ 4 (beyond the sword) and Civ 2 are my favourites. I have never uninstall Civ4 in my pc.

:thumbsup:
[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

Pocus

Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Civ4: +1 ! Indeed, I'm still searching for the equivalent of Fall from Heaven, Cavemen to Cosmos, Dune or Planetfall/Chiron on Civ5 :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

koningtiger
Lieutenant

Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:45 pm

If you like history, as i know you do, try Pie Ancient Europe. There is a superb Diadochi Wars scenario that can force you to press over a Diadochi wars expansion for AJE. :d

Seriously, this mod is same qualitiy as FFH.

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Pocus wrote:Civ4: +1 ! Indeed, I'm still searching for the equivalent of Fall from Heaven, Cavemen to Cosmos, Dune or Planetfall/Chiron on Civ5 :)

Dune Wars ! super mod !

:thumbsup:

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

Carnium

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Civ2 was great. We even did some moding for it in my hight school days and the result was a WW2 scenario :)
The original Civilisation was revolutionary game that everybody played. Even the guys who basically hated the war/historical games.

Ebbingford

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:34 pm

Pocus wrote:I think he forgot to mention that he did not listen enough to betas. :)

Always listen to the betas :cool:
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Hobbes

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:44 pm

The last Civ game I played was Civ3. I was going to get Civ5 because it had hexes (I can't resist them) then I read Civ4 was a better game so I ended up getting neither.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Unit,worker stacking what I remember from civ4. Religions and missionaries to form easy predictable diplomatic relations. Civ 5 had faults but with fall patch much better. Before that AI was pushing all siege equipment front line and didn't know how to attack. But still isn't perfect either. :D . but no caveman or fall from heaven mod for Civ 5 sorry.

Anyway, Jon Shafer's At the Gates looks very good about ideas, I even like the season cycle effect on visuals. That game looks cool. Published yet?

Pocus

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:12 am

I don't play historical mods on Civ4, it seems always 'off'...

gekkoguy82
Major

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:24 pm

This thread resulted in me playing Civ4 until about 1AM this morning. This after resolving to quit by 11:30. Curse you Sid Meier, sleep thief! Always gets me!

Lafrite

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:45 pm

The lead designer of Civ4 was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soren_Johnson but, sadly, he sank in the dark side of gaming (Spore, Zynga) :p apy:

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:13 am

gekkoguy82 wrote:This thread resulted in me playing Civ4 until about 1AM this morning. This after resolving to quit by 11:30. Curse you Sid Meier, sleep thief! Always gets me!

playing at 23h00 and when i watch the clock it's 06h00 in the morning !!!

:w00t:

[/I]

Hobbes

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:31 am

Baris wrote:Unit,worker stacking what I remember from civ4. Religions and missionaries to form easy predictable diplomatic relations. Civ 5 had faults but with fall patch much better. Before that AI was pushing all siege equipment front line and didn't know how to attack. But still isn't perfect either. :D . but no caveman or fall from heaven mod for Civ 5 sorry.

Anyway, Jon Shafer's At the Gates looks very good about ideas, I even like the season cycle effect on visuals. That game looks cool. Published yet?

Maybe I'll give Civ5 a go then. I can devote 10 minutes a day to it :)

Cheers,
Chris

Pocus

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:26 am

10 minutes will be one hour, Chris. Even if Civ5 is less appealing than Civ4, game design wise.

gekkoguy82
Major

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:21 pm

When you boil it down, Civ is Civ! I didn't care for 5 at first, since to me it seemed a watered down version of what I was used to with some really different game mechanics, but it's grown on me over time. Not my favorite iteration of the game, but still can be quite enjoyable in it's own way. IMHO. :) Still, 10 minutes with civ4 last night before leaving for the local NHL club's game turned into 20! At least they included a handy clock in game to let you know how long past your self imposed deadline you've gone :neener:

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:26 pm

I too had reinstalled Civ4, played long in the night. I'm surprised that I'm better at the game (for I'm more cool/wise than before).
Yes, the game needs a heavy mod for false hexes (the rows have to be shifted, half-a-square, one row on two) and mainly to remove the staks of death (main flaw of the game for me). The most difficult should be to adapt the AI.

Return to “General discussions”