Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Game of Thrones

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Anyone else a fan? I love the show, love the books even more. I've read 1-4, about to get started on Dance with Dragons and get caught up.

Season 3 of the tv show is about to start next month. For those who've been watching the show but haven't read any of the books, what do you think is going to happen? For those who've read the books, do you think they'll stray much from the story for the show?

New teaser for Season 3 also just premiered. Promo time is about to kick off.

Pocus

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:15 am

I'm a fan too, of the tv show for now, can't get my mind around the too numerous names in the books though.

If only the Sword of Truth series was not butchered as it did, it could have been a so nice TV Show, but nope, thanks Disney for this epic failure.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

caranorn

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:43 am

I actually found Sword of Truth better than Game of Thrones (the TV-series, for the books it's the inverse). While I loved the first season of Game of Thrones, I stopped watching sometime during the second season. I have since read all the current Game of Thrones books and must say Martin is getting a bit confusing and he obviously has no plan for the books. But I neverless can't put them down (which is what I did with Goodkind's books sometime in the late 90's)...

Talking about those two series I wonder whether someone will pick up Jordan's "Wheel of Time" as a TV-series. I know among fans we were already speculating about that way back. But possibly the difference here is that Jordan died before completing his series (Martin might want to consider that) and even if Sanderson were to complete it now (no idea where he is at, I only bought his first volume and have quit the series for good now) I'm not sure anyone in TV business would dare take up that monstrum...
Marc aka Caran...

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:28 pm

I think Martin has plans, he's just taking his damn sweet time getting there. ;)

I've had some people who liked the show ask me what's different from the books, and I told them, 'just take all the characters and plots from the tv show and multiply them by about 200%.' Yeah, all the knights and houses and never ending schemes does make things a little foggy. I think my main problem with the books is that Martin seems to have developed a certain strategy in the later books which consists of 1 - major character/plot change to end chapter 2 - several chapters of characters roaming around the countryside and fighting a lot 3 - next chapter starts with lots of backstabbing, ends with major character change/plot 4 - rinse and repeat. His ability to string along a consistent narrative is really hampered by his use of writing chapters from character POVs as well. Still, good books overall. I was getting a little burned out on fantasy fiction there for a while, but GOT brought me back.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Pocus wrote:I'm a fan too, of the tv show for now, can't get my mind around the too numerous names in the books though.

If only the Sword of Truth series was not butchered as it did, it could have been a so nice TV Show, but nope, thanks Disney for this epic failure.

It is a shame how often good stories are butchered when they reach tv. Disney not only ruined the Sword of Truth series, but the John Carter of Mars story as well. It would have been so much fun to see the massive airship battles described in those books...

deguerra
Major

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Am loving the Game of Thrones series at the moment. Had read some of the books before, but put them down once things got a bit too wacky for my liking - am rereading them now thanks to the series. It is truly a marvel to have a series both be faithful to the books and of such quality. There are many series which are neither, but even faithful ones can often turn out to be badly translated to screen. This is definitely not one of them.

caranon, I hear you about Wheel of Time. I don't think it will ever happen, but it would be epic. That said, if people consider GoT to be a convoluted series of books, WoT is surely worse: Here is a character we mentioned once, 5 books ago. I hope you remember him because he is now briefly important. We will revisit him briefly again in 3 books time. :D Kind of fun in a series of books, but probably not translatable to the screen. Then again, I once said that of LotR.

-deguerra

Altaris

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:27 pm

WoT would be a great TV series, so long as they trim out a lot of the unnecessary fat from the edges. Could probably be shorted down into 6-7 powerful seasons (basically, just skimming over the stuff from about books 6-10, and some of the less important side plots).

For some reason, I've always thought the guy that did the old HBO show Carnivale would be capable of making a really fantastic WoT show. To translate properly to the screen, I think WoT needs a combination of old-fashioned style and creepy cerebral imagery (since insanity runs through the series quite a bit) - both of these Carnivale had in bucket-loads.

beuckelssen

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:58 pm

I am enjoying the tv show more than the books, specially the last two. I even wasn´t able to finish the last book: too boring IMHO. And I read the first one in a couple of days! But now there are too many meaningless characters and sub-plots.

I would like to see some of the work of Joe Abercrombie in the screen. I think that nowadays his work has surpassed Martin´s. "The heroes" is one of the best fantasy books that I ever read.

Jayavarman
Lieutenant

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:16 am

"Sad fragility of human things! What riches and treasures of art will remain forever buried beneath these ruins; how many distinguished men - artists, sovereigns, and warriors - are now forgotten!"

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Pocus

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:55 am

There is an AAR on this mod at
http://www.leqg.org/forum/index.php

(in French though). The poster said though that he had to take over the AI regularly so that the game don't ressemble rapidly a patchwork of scrambled realms.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

caranorn

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:38 pm

To note that that mod (iirc) takes place during the civil war prior to the books, which explains why there are so many living Targaryens. I took a lood at the mod some while back, a lot of research must have gone into that. Though I wasn't really interested in playing it for some reason...
Marc aka Caran...

Return to “General discussions”