What should be our next game subject. Max 5 choices please!

Antiquity Greek (Peloponnesian, Alexander the Great...)
8%
Antiquity Roman (including late Empire and invasions)
7%
Ancient China
4%
Middle/Dark Ages (incl. Byzantium, excl. Crusades)
8%
Renaissance
6%
30 Years War
11%
Feudal Japan
4%
Crusades
5%
Conquest of Americas/Age of Colonialism
4%
War in Americas II
2%
American Civil War II
5%
Napoleonic era
8%
China (Feudal, Taiping...) (excl Ancient China)
3%
World War I
5%
Pride of Nations II
5%
World War II (Global)
4%
World War II (Europe)
2%
World War II (Pacific)
2%
Vietnam
3%
Sci-fi, Fantasy or post-apoc
4%

Total votes: 1258
Hobbes

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:07 pm

redcoat2 wrote: The English Civil War / British Civil Wars of the mid-17th Century

:thumbsup:

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:36 pm

I already mentioned my choice for ancient eras, but I'll be more specific. A grand campaign or mini dynastic campaigns covering the Diadochi wars following Alexander the Great's death would be awesome. There's so many independent kingdoms that sprang up after the splintering of the Greek empire, so many charismatic leaders like Antigonus, Ptolemy, Eumenes, and Antipater. A lot of the Greek unit art is already in the new AJE game, and it would only be a matter of scripting some events, finishing some leader bios, and redrawing the eastern provinces to get it going.

Besides, aside from Alexander Total War and a few mods for some Paradox games, there really hasn't been much (decent) coverage of Greco-Roman times, which is why I'm so happy to see AJE finally arriving.

Surtur

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:47 pm

Pride of Nations 2 would be first on my list -> An optimized Pride of Nations 1 + More diplomacy options(EUIII) would be ideal.
30 years war is my second choice, but I do hope there will be a lot of expansions for AJE

vonRocko
Colonel

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:14 pm

Please, no WW2 or WW1 or Vietnam. This engine is just not right for it. Also, if you want it to sell, don't make a game about some obscure Chinese peasant uprising.(or 30 yrs.war for that matter)

Time for ACW2!

Random
AGEod Veteran

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:37 pm

WW2 has been done to death.

AJE appears to suit the AGE engine perfectly so more ancients; Greece and Rome.

The 30-Years War with its assorted factions, technological revolutions, events, scope, scale and complexity seems to be a good fit for the engine as well.

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Random wrote:WW2 has been done to death.

The 30-Years War with its assorted factions, technological revolutions, events, scope, scale and complexity seems to be a good fit for the engine as well.

[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

Reiryc

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Naploeonic era... but it needs to have the 'sandbox' mode where the player can build units and improve territories a la AACW. One of the things players seem to enjoy is not only the battles and history but also being able to change things around by building up their armies as they see fit and affecting production.

Robert E. Lee
Private

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:11 pm

Narwhal wrote:Making a game about Ancient China would be a leap of faith, as AGEOD is unknown there I believe. It could tank both directions.

Probably, but if its fully translated into chinese it could turn out to be a major success. A game during the period of the 3 kingdoms could attract a lot of attention in China.
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it"

Seven
Corporal

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Disappointed WW2 not scoring high on vote. I love the AGE engine, artwork & everything. Would have liked somehow to have seen WW2 done as AGE game.

Reiryc

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Seven wrote:Disappointed WW2 not scoring high on vote. I love the AGE engine, artwork & everything. Would have liked somehow to have seen WW2 done as AGE game.

I think that ww2 has been so many times and in so many ways that some folks are feeling a bit of burnout with the subject matter. I would imagine at some point it will be a subject though.

Hobbes

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:09 pm

What I would buy in an instant would be a PC version of the old Avalon Hill game Starship Troopers - get the rights to that and I would be a happy bunny :)
But yes I am just dreaming - would need a new game engine!

Ebbingford

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:31 pm

redcoat2 wrote:My first two choices weren't on the list.

1) The English Civil War / British Civil Wars of the mid-17th Century

2) The War of Spanish Succession / Marlborough's campaigns

Both of these sound good to me. :thumbsup:

I only voted for Napoleonic era though. The Peninsular war done properly would be the main attraction for me.

I suppose the Europe map project could lead to any thing though. :cool:

turenne08
Corporal

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:03 pm

I did choose three but if I had my choice it would have been the War of the Spanish Succession.

Ubercat
Sergeant

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:26 pm

AACW could definitely use a remake. The map is gorgeous, but it's so "busy" that it takes a lot of work to figure out where things are and how they connect. The Shenandoah valley appears to be an indistinct geographical region that could use more attention, though that impression may be due to my lack of game experience. Later games have much clearer maps, and AJE probably has about the best looking and clearest map I've ever seen!

A strategic/operational level Vietnam game would be awesome. Something on the scale of the old Victory Games "Vietnam" board game from the early 80's is sorely lacking on the PC. (Yes, I'm aware of the Advanced Tactics Gold mod.)

I never get tired of WW2.

Thanks for giving us a voice!

BodyBag
Private

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Random wrote:WW2 has been done to death.

Exactly my opinion!

Did not know it was multiple choice, so only Ancient Greece got my vote.

Also some overall "polish & chrome" to the future games would be nice. Like better and more detailed battlesounds, marching sounds and other sounds in general.

The new detailed battle-report is a step in the right direction.

Lets have some nicer graphics, and maybe cut-scenes and other kinds of graphic presentations, when something exiting happens in the game. Leader-casualties, sieges, battles, naval-clashes and other events in the game, could all be made much more interesting and engaging!

Right now the games seems very spartan and unresponsive ("dry") to the dramatic events it is supposed to show, - even for a niche-game on a budget.

With a higher production-value, I would gladly pay double the asking-price of today :D

Cheers,

Seven
Corporal

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:39 am

World War 2 has been done to death, sure. But it hasn't been done with AGE engine or with that beautful art or with the care and attention to historical accuracy and events.
If AGEOD brought it out people would buy it anyway and I will bet they would like it. Napoloeon has also been done to death but still scores highly on this poll. Sure, there would be many challenges to program this kind of new game as Pocus said, but once the new systems are in place, they would be useful for future games too.
I think WW2 would be a brave choice, and I think it is inevitable that AGEOD will do it, sooner or later. It would be impossible to not have an AGE WW2 game.

Is anyone really saying that they would NOT like to see those stand-up game counters with the art of Spitfires, B-17's, U-Boats, Panzers and other glorious units?

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:06 am

Is anyone really saying that they would NOT like to see those stand-up game counters with the art of Spitfires, B-17's, U-Boats, Panzers and other glorious units?

Yes, there are those of us who simply would not but the game.

This sounds a bit rude. What I meant was that some of us (myself included) do not think World War Two would be suitable for an AGEOD game, or that some of us (not me) simply are not interested in the War as anything other than a tragic occurence in history.

wosung

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:31 am

Gen. Monkey-Bear wrote:
What I meant was that some of us (myself included) do not think World War Two would be suitable for an AGEOD game.

Well, at least Ageod doesn't totally rule out the possibility of an AGE WW2 game. Otherwise there wouldn't be three options for voting. So, despite the problems AGE now might have with continuous fronts for them it might be suitable.

As for the SciFi / fantasy setting setting. You really need to have a strong *world plot* to make this work or pay a brazilian bucks for the rights.

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:53 am

Hobbes wrote:What I would buy in an instant would be a PC version of the old Avalon Hill game Starship Troopers - get the rights to that and I would be a happy bunny :)
But yes I am just dreaming - would need a new game engine!

Avalon Hill "Starship Troopers" :thumbsup: AH ! where is my youth !

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

Dale H
Private

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Think out the box. A post-apocalypse game would rock!

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Would not buy it and have no interest even if given away for free. There is a vast and still growing number of strategic WW2 titles out there and eye-candy lies at the very bottom of my prerequisites for a winning game design in my view.

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:14 pm

30-years war.
It's an interesting period, and the possibilities are huge.

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Dale H wrote:Think out the box. A post-apocalypse game would rock!

Yes, I can vividly imagine "Fallout: The Turn-Based strategy game". Control vital Nuka-Cola production facilities, capture Power-armour manufactories, defend against random raider and deathclaw encounters/appearances.
I'm serious: It'd be cool.

RystoII
Conscript

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:24 pm

le Anders wrote:Yes, I can vividly imagine "Fallout: The Turn-Based strategy game". Control vital Nuka-Cola production facilities, capture Power-armour manufactories, defend against random raider and deathclaw encounters/appearances.
I'm serious: It'd be cool.

kvob
Conscript

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:36 pm

I voted for Antiquity Greek.
One that isn't mentioned (although probably more likely to be suited to being a scenario within a game rather than a game itself) is the Jacobite Rebellion. I've always felt that it would work well with the AGE engine.

Hartford688i
Civilian

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Really, I would love to see China covered by AGEOD. So many interesting and new options - Warring States, T'ang, Ming, Taiping, and especially Civil War 1911-1949. Would be fascinating, potentially a lot of new customers, and genuinely new subject matter. Not WWII or Europe. Wow.

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:21 pm

Hartford688i wrote:Really, I would love to see China covered by AGEOD. So many interesting and new options - Warring States, T'ang, Ming, Taiping, and especially Civil War 1911-1949. Would be fascinating, potentially a lot of new customers, and genuinely new subject matter. Not WWII or Europe. Wow.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms by AGEOD?

Hartford688i
Civilian

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:27 pm

le Anders wrote:Romance of the Three Kingdoms by AGEOD?

Well, I was going the more "historical" approach, lose the magic, but whatever floats your boat. The civil war of 1911-49 would have more source materials for OOB of course.

Kavelioc
Conscript

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:07 pm

1. Ancient Greece - I have been desperate for a Peleponnesian War game for years.
2. 30 Years War - with the desperate hope that it would include an good sized English Civil War scenario ... I am desperate for one of these too.

In fact I think after AGEODs excellence in civil war wargames (ACW, RUS and now AJE) I' would suggest more focus on other civil wars including the English Civil War ... The Chinese, Spanish, Irish, Mexican etc.
Also would like to see some Latin American wars .. maybe a 'Birth of South America' game.

But hey im getting away from the multiple choice. Peleponnesian War please!

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Kavelioc wrote:1. Ancient Greece - I have been desperate for a Peleponnesian War game for years.
2. 30 Years War - with the desperate hope that it would include an good sized English Civil War scenario ... I am desperate for one of these too.

In fact I think after AGEODs excellence in civil war wargames (ACW, RUS and now AJE) I' would suggest more focus on other civil wars including the English Civil War ... The Chinese, Spanish, Irish, Mexican etc.
Also would like to see some Latin American wars .. maybe a 'Birth of South America' game.

But hey im getting away from the multiple choice. Peleponnesian War please!

[/I]

Return to “General discussions”