What should be our next game subject. Max 5 choices please!

Antiquity Greek (Peloponnesian, Alexander the Great...)
8%
Antiquity Roman (including late Empire and invasions)
7%
Ancient China
4%
Middle/Dark Ages (incl. Byzantium, excl. Crusades)
8%
Renaissance
6%
30 Years War
11%
Feudal Japan
4%
Crusades
5%
Conquest of Americas/Age of Colonialism
4%
War in Americas II
2%
American Civil War II
5%
Napoleonic era
8%
China (Feudal, Taiping...) (excl Ancient China)
3%
World War I
5%
Pride of Nations II
5%
World War II (Global)
4%
World War II (Europe)
2%
World War II (Pacific)
2%
Vietnam
3%
Sci-fi, Fantasy or post-apoc
4%

Total votes: 1258
Matto
Colonel

Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:56 am

I think that AGEOD engine is not good for modern war ... I think the best is before WWI (or like in PON)
Napoleon days in Austerlitz 2011 - photo gallery
My Czech pages agout AGEOD: AGEOD games, RoP AAR - Prussian side
My AGEOD games: WoN, TYW, EAW, CW2, AJE, PoN, NCP, ROP Gold, RUS Gold and BOA2

Franciscus

Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:59 pm

Personally no interest at all in Vietnam War... :(

Although the american market might (really ?) like it...

Kind of weird to bypass WW2 and jump to Vietnam...

Franciscus

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:00 pm

challlenge wrote:It is Parthan war the new project ?

Into wargamer.fr Philippe Thibaut talk about Vietnam War

I hope is that

Parthian Wars is an expansion for AJE, scheduled for next month.

Regards

Narwhal

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Viet-Nam ? Uh, not sure at all the Engine can handle it without so much tweaks / rubber patch that it does not look like Vietnam any more. Plus, how long would be the turn ? Reaction time in Viet-Nam was in hours, not in days / weeks.

PhilThib

Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:09 pm

I just mentionned that I'd love to make one game on the subject, because it's a real design challenge and the engine has lots of advantages for that kind of assymetrical war. But there are dozens of issues that the engine could not solve at the moment, so in all cases it won't be for now.... so NO, it's not going to be our next subject...

Carnium

Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:17 pm

AGE engine in WW2 settings would be cool as a stepping stone to Vietnam War. Guerilla/Partisan and Air Warfare still needs to be improved a bit and a Vietnam war game would have to simulate the local support and supply in a more marginal way than other AGE games.
Before that it would be fun to have a WW1 game on AGE engine too and ... Napoleonic i.e. Revolutionary wars :w00t:

Lindi
General

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:34 pm

For me the next big defy for the AGE engine is the aircraft.

I not sure why you can target one area, or said I protect here, but not here (where I have antiaircraft gun, but not where ennemy have antiaircraft gun)

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:58 am

I voted:
1. vietnam (I have been demanding a vietnam game since I joined the forum, but I dont just want the US era I want the french too)
2. Conquest of Americas/Age of Colonialism (too few games on the subject, simply too few games)
3. 30 Years War (same here too few, if any?)
4. Middle/Dark Ages (incl. Byzantium, excl. Crusades) (are there any games on this time frame?)
5. Antiquity Roman (including late Empire and invasions) (few but they are old or too gamey for my taste)
"Saw steamer, strafed same, sank same, some sight, signed smith" From "The Thousand Mile War" by Brian Garfield.

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:02 am

Hello !
I think age-engine and modern conflicts aren't compatible.
So :
1. Middle age
2.japan era of shoguns
3.napoleonic and french revolution
4.30years war

That's all folks !!
[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

Templer
General

Crusades

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Crusades

I would like to see the Crusades once implemented in AGEOD's games.
With knights against Saracens.

Do not forget the Pope! :D
Greetings
Templer

Count Miloradovich
Conscript

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Stop torturing yourself Phil and give us Napoleon's Campaigns 2.We all know that you want it.

PhilThib

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:55 pm

Templer wrote:Crusades

Would love that, one of my pet projects. A good point to help in there would be to supply me with nice soldiers/leaders pictures so that an artist/modder could start working on them. Please send everything by mail to pthibaut@ageod.net

PhilThib

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Count Miloradovich wrote:Stop torturing yourself Phil and give us Napoleon's Campaigns 2.We all know that you want it.

He he...who knows.... :neener:

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:01 pm

Count Miloradovich wrote:Stop torturing yourself Phil and give us Napoleon's Campaigns 2.We all know that you want it.

Et bien sûr ! pas la peine de tourner autour du pot ! Vive l'Empereur !

:p ouet:

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

schmolywar
Private

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:01 pm

As far as modern assymetrical operations go, Chechnya has had TWO wars with russia, much back and forth. Alot of characters with their own traits and influence on the operations. Very interesting challenges, much like the spanish campaign in 36.

I remember TOAW had a scenario depicting the first one and Ive always wanted a detailed remake done somewhere....

There is also Syria... not finished yet but.

Canon
Lieutenant

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:39 pm

That's #2 on my list, behind WWI (The AGE engine is perfect for the big theater but still pre-WW2 tactics, and it would be awesome to be in control of those grand armies, launching massive assaults for minimal gain!)

But I think the scenario system of individual campaigns that AGE uses makes itself perfect for a game on the Crusades, as you can cover all the major themes no problem. I imagine scenarios covering the 1st Crusade, Zengi vs Damascus and Edessa, Nur-ad Din vs Antioch and the 2nd Crusade, Saladin vs Jerusalem, 3rd Crusade, and King Louis the Saint's Egyptian Crusade (7th). The engine lends itself perfectly for this style of strategy. It's a shame that public support probably will never get there, more likely to be a mod by someone dedicated.

Kensai

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:37 pm

I feel that a WW1 game is imperative as we approach the 100th anniversary of the start of hostilities next year. The thing is, given that WW1 Gold is not that old, it might actually be better to provide a PON DLC of WW1 than a new game. This way, everybody wins as we could have a WW1 game on top of the magnificent AGE v3 engine plus bug fixes and new features for the venerable PON game. :)
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

PhilThib

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:12 am

We had a work-in-progress for a 1914 scenario for PON. The OOB is done, same for colonies...but all the rest remains to be done: economics, trade, technologies...and we have no time for it now

Lindi
General

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:24 am

PhilThib wrote:We had a work-in-progress for a 1914 scenario for PON. The OOB is done, same for colonies...but all the rest remains to be done: economics, trade, technologies...and we have no time for it now

good new :)

Kensai

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:31 pm

PhilThib wrote:We had a work-in-progress for a 1914 scenario for PON. The OOB is done, same for colonies...but all the rest remains to be done: economics, trade, technologies...and we have no time for it now

There is always time until the 28th of July 2014 to coincide with the anniversary! :D

Now that Espana and CWII have been released, I wonder what the future plans are anyway. DLCs might not command the full price but are very good chances to improve already established games, especially the ambitious project PON was. A 1914 scenario for PON might reignite interest for this title (and its other scenarios) and there are many good features that could be reused from World War One Gold itself. I mean, most events are already there and are well documented!

My hope dies last!
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

marek1978
Colonel

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:44 pm

PhilThib wrote:He he...who knows.... :neener:

Oh come on, give a hint, a small one...

Is there a chanse that some of the Louis XIV or Charles XII, wars would be inluded?

Does it make sense to create game like pon a bit but in XVII/ XVIII century? With more detailed map?

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:50 pm

My personal wishlist for AGEOD's next project is to expand RUS (go GOLD), and fix whatever small annoyances remain, integrate the improvements from España 1936 (brigades and the "cards").
Then go make a good 30-years war game. That's about the only period of time not covered well by any computer game I know.

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Actually, the better thing to do is...
1. RUS gold (in the way)
2. IMPROVE ROP gold !!!

and then, a napoleonic game with a great campaign !

:wavey:

[/I]

RELee
Lieutenant

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:00 pm

FENRIS wrote:Actually, the better thing to do is...
1. RUS gold (in the way)
2. IMPROVE ROP gold !!!

and then, a napoleonic game with a great campaign !

:wavey:

I could go along with this. :thumbsup:

Templer
General

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:52 pm

Crusades
Just imagine how much new, beautiful and colorful uniforms we would get to see.
It should not be forgotten that knights teams, The Knights Templar, the Deutsche Knights = Deutsche Herren Ritter, and perhaps the Lazarus knights, have played an important role during the Crusades.
I want to say, I hope that the Knights teams will be also duly integrated into the game.
[color="#FF8C00"]Note:[/color]
There are no ‘Knights teams’. I’m talking about ‘Ritterorden’, but I can't find the correct English translation for it.

WW II
This conflict was handled by game developers already more than enough.
Nevertheless, in the past, some games have had great success with this Scenario setting.
For this I have in mind the fantastic Command Ops series by Panther Games and War in the East by Gary Grigsby.
Perhaps it would also be room for the AGEOD engine in this conflict.

Personally I could well imagine how I go with beautiful tiger tanks on my counters against Stalingrad.
Greetings

Templer

PhilThib

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:29 am

There are no ‘Knights teams’. I’m talking about ‘Ritterorden’, but I can't find the correct English translation for it.

Knight Orders would be a good translation (and close to German in addition :) )

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:33 pm

you can explore the entire middle-age like AJE with the Roman empire (from the beginning to second century AD)
the crusades, the 100years war, the war of the Roses, the war between Louis XI and Charles le Téméraire...

Yes, I know, a gigantic work !

:thumbsup:

[/I]

schmolywar
Private

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:43 pm

The First Anglo-Afghan War
The Second Anglo-Afghan War
The Third Anglo-Afgan War

The Boer Wars

The Caucasian War of 1817–1864

Knight of the Realm
Sergeant

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:05 pm

I'd still like to see the English Civil War... Or anything else from around then...

Ekaton
Private

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:03 pm

30 Years War - definitely pretty hard to represent that many countries existing at a time and the role dynasties played in a society but I'll say it's a good call.

Antiquity Greek - lots of great opportunities and I think that your engine suits antiquity era best.

Renaissance - lots of great wars to present, can be really great. Also, you lack Total War competition in this era so this might be good advantage.

Crusades - interesting topic, maybe much expolited in the games but still worth it.

Middle/Dark Ages - I'd love to play as Byzantine Empire or Charlemagne or Vikings.

Also - how about The Great French Revolutions? It provides you a lot of interesting battles, campaigns, what-ifs and many interesting events.

Return to “General discussions”