Aphrodite Mae

The Winner of the March AGEod quiz!

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:15 am

Solemnace wrote:Any Idea when we'll be finding out who won

The winner of the March quiz is Jim-NC! :p ompom:

[CENTER]ImageImageImageImageImage[/CENTER]

Jim was the only contestant to answer all primary and tie-breaker questions correctly! Congratulations, Jim!

Jim, how did you find the answers? I'm sure that many members of our community would be very interested in knowing!

As soon as Jim is officially confirmed as our winner by AGEod, I'll post the answers to the quiz!
Thanks to all contestants, for your participation! :)

Aphrodite Mae

Jim-NC

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:41 am

Wow, I can't believe I got every answer correct. I thank you for the generousness of your praise (he said with a deep courtly bow to her Majesty).

1. I had seen it enough to know what it was. I spent over a week looking for that exact picture, but couldn't find it.
2. Research. I looked for Eugenie, Sept 4, but then inspiration struck. I searched for Eugenie and Lourve, buried in file was 1 sentence about the painting being too large to move. So then I searched for the name of the painting, and there it was.
3. I searched for 1676. The only war I found was King Philip's War. While looking around, I got lucky and saw a picture of a man with a beard that looked similar to the picture posted. Searched for the town to find the exact picture.
4. Searched for "last secessionist town". It was the 1st result.
5. This was a tough one. I started searching for motorcycle troops, and various permutations. Couldn't find anything. I noticed that the troops were wearing "coal scuttle" helmets. Searched for countries that used said helmet. Picked a country, and then searched for the motorcycles they used. Got lucky with that, and found the 10th cav (hint).
6. Searched for the title. Found 4 gentlemen that could have been the correct answer. Then had to determine which one. I kept looking, and found in an article where some luggage was lost, leading to certain events.

The hardest part was the motorcycle troops. The longest search was the 1st question, as I could never find the exact picture. Number 6 was tough, as I had to decide who it was.

I will await confirmation from AGEOD that I have won, and then can provide my answers if asked (or they can).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wosung

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:29 am

Congrats! This was quite a riddle - cudos to Ageod SpecOp - and you've got all the right answers.

Could you please post the right answers when Ageod has confirmed your win?

Best regards

Pocus

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:54 am

Amazing feat indeed from Jim-NC, as some questions were particularly devious! :)

Nice GIFs Aphrodite, may I borrow them for future use?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Carnium

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Congratulations Jim-NC :thumbsup:

Le Ricain

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:28 am

Jim-NC, well done. I supplied two of the questions (No 2 & No 6) and I thought that No 2 would have slowed you down.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Jim-NC

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:38 am

They were tough questions, but a little research (well, maybe a lot of research) pointed the way.

The answers I provided are:

1. Leonardo Da Vinci's armored Car (tank). As drawn by Da Vinci, the vehicle only moves in circles as the gearing is wrong.
2. "The Raft of the Medusa", a very large painting about the survivors of a disaster at sea. The painting was apparently too large to move, and was left in the museum.
3. Hadley Massachusetts. The story goes that men who were hiding out after executing King Charles saw the approaching Indians.
4. Jan 2 1946. Interestingly enough the town is located in upstate New York. President Harry S. Truman sent them a note asking them to rejoin. Don't know why part of upstate New York seceded, but it did.
5. The motorcyclists belong to the Polish 10th Cav. The pictures were taken in 1938, when Franklin D. Roosevelt was president. Apparently Poland and Germany used the coal scuttle helmet.
6. Wilhelm Wassmuss. He was formenting rebellion in British territory. He lost his luggage containing German cyphers. The British eventually opened the luggage, and decoded the German codes, allowing them to break the Zimmerman Telegram. This telegram helped push America to war against the central powers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gchristie
Brigadier General

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:04 am

Bravo Jim-NC. "Well played" as my teenage kids would say :winner:
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

wosung

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks for posting!

Apparently some of the question have more than one answer, which I think is stimulating & amusing and no drama at all.

This is what I found:

2. Pieter Paul Rubens: Arrival of Maria di Medici in Marsiglia, (one of 21 paintings of Rubens Medici cycle, still in the Louvre).

History of the War Germany and France. von James Dabney McCabep. General Books LLC, 2009, p. 292.
http://books.google.de/books?id=43tBAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA293&hl=de&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

“Calm and relaxed the Empress was sitting on a fauteuil, in front of the grand painting Arrival of Maria di Medici , made by Rubens genius.”

6. Max von Oppenheim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_von_Oppenheim
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_von_Oppenheim

The German Wiki is much more detailed about Oppenheim, plus quite recently there was TV documentation about him:
Transl.: “During WW1 he worked in the German Foreign Ministry, founded the so-called News Bureau for the Orient, and worked in the German ambassy in Istambul [with personal contacts to Abdülhamid II, Hussein ibn Ali]. During WW 1 Oppenheim tried to mobilize the islamic people in the Mid East, thus, he nearly was the German pendant to Lawrence of Arabia. German Foreign office’s strategy was to foster islamic Revolts in the colonial Hinterland of the Entente. The founding father of this double concept of 1. a conventional war and 2. tribal revolts in the hinterland was von Oppenheim.”

Bottom line: Von Oppenheim, fluent in Arabic, lived from 1892-1910 in Cairo, 1896 attaché and later charge d'affaires of the German consulate-general in Cairo, 1910-13 as an amateur led international well-known archeologist surveys in Tell Halaf, there he was visited by young Lawrence. It is said the two of them didn’t like each other. But most important: in the context of WW1, von Oppenheim, a catholic christened German jew, was one of the spiritual founding fathers of modern jihad, as an pan-islamic anti-imperialistic ideology , in his version under turkish leadership, by his writings, his propaganda agency News Bureau for the Orient, and his diplomatic maneuvres in Istambul during the war.

Best regards

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:32 pm

wosung wrote:
6. Max von Oppenheim.

The German Wiki is much more detailed about Oppenheim, plus quite recently there was TV documentation about him:
Transl.: “During WW1 he worked in the German Foreign Ministry, founded the so-called News Bureau for the Orient, and worked in the German ambassy in Istambul [with personal contacts to Abdülhamid II, Hussein ibn Ali]. During WW 1 Oppenheim tried to mobilize the islamic people in the Mid East, thus, he nearly was the German pendant to Lawrence of Arabia. German Foreign office’s strategy was to foster islamic Revolts in the colonial Hinterland of the Entente. The founding father of this double concept of 1. a conventional war and 2. tribal revolts in the hinterland was von Oppenheim.”

Bottom line: Von Oppenheim, fluent in Arabic, lived from 1892-1910 in Cairo, 1896 attaché and later charge d'affaires of the German consulate-general in Cairo, 1910-13 as an amateur led international well-known archeologist surveys in Tell Halaf, there he was visited by young Lawrence. It is said the two of them didn’t like each other. But most important: in the context of WW1, von Oppenheim, a catholic christened German jew, was one of the spiritual founding fathers of modern jihad, as an pan-islamic anti-imperialistic ideology , in his version under turkish leadership, by his writings, his propaganda agency News Bureau for the Orient, and his diplomatic maneuvres in Istambul during the war.

Best regards

6. Spot on. One of the titles is archaeological thief.

But I don't know how "lawrence" interpreted a historical meaning in American,British terms. But Von Oppenheim sounds more of a "Lawrance" ;) that he deserves that sumptuous nickname and more as he was a theorist maybe not a hero for revolting poor native tribes.
Among Ottoman officers only Enver Pasha and some lower ranks officers interested in pan-islamist movement. Enver Pasha shot dead by Red army later in Turkestan. But Abdülhamit were more than willing to cooperate with anything with Prussia to stay alive.

Jim-NC

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:31 pm

wosung wrote:Thanks for posting!

Apparently some of the question have more than one answer, which I think is stimulating & amusing and no drama at all.

This is what I found:

2. Pieter Paul Rubens: Arrival of Maria di Medici in Marsiglia, (one of 21 paintings of Rubens Medici cycle, still in the Louvre).

History of the War Germany and France. von James Dabney McCabep. General Books LLC, 2009, p. 292.
http://books.google.de/books?id=43tBAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA293&hl=de&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

“Calm and relaxed the Empress was sitting on a fauteuil, in front of the grand painting Arrival of Maria di Medici , made by Rubens genius.”

6. Max von Oppenheim.

Best regards

In regards to the painting of Maria arriving. I saw that link as well. In fact, I was going to use it, until I noticed that the painting is listed as being in the palace, not in the Lourve. So I did some more searching, and found this and got the answer.

As for Oppenheim, I found references to 4 men have been called the "German Lawrence", however, only 1 listed anything to do with America. This one required extra research. I was not 100% sure on the answer, but could not find where Frobenius or Oppenheim or Borchardt had done anything with/to America to get them into war. Wassmuss lists about how his luggage was lost after he was captured, and the British were able to use it for code breaking.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wosung

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:45 pm

You defenitely invested a lot of time into this riddle.

And I was desperately searching for Oppenheims US war entry connection (A Zimmermann code breaking tie? Some family-banking ties?!).

Best regards

Pocus

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Jim, what is the game you would like? The upcoming one, featuring kittens and horseshoes, or another one?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Jim-NC

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:57 pm

I'll take kittens and horseshoes Please.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Franciscus

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:03 pm

Congratulations, Jim-NC.

And I hope you enjoy your future game ;)

gchristie
Brigadier General

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Pocus wrote:The upcoming one, featuring kittens and horseshoes

Such a tease thou art.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Le Ricain

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:24 pm

Jim-NC wrote:I'll take kittens and horseshoes Please.

Good choice.

As I came up with questions 2 and 6, I was surprised to learn that there were multiple possible answers.

Raft of the Medusa:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/cdv-the-empress-eugenie-s-escape-from-the

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19530121&id=kfwjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=fSMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5402,2197153

Wassmuss:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Wassmuss
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Jim-NC

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:41 am

What can I say? I couldn't pass up kittens. :niark: And who doesn't love horseshoes? :thumbsup:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aphrodite Mae

Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:27 pm

Pocus wrote:Amazing feat indeed from Jim-NC, as some questions were particularly devious! :)

Nice GIFs Aphrodite, may I borrow them for future use?

Thank you, Pocus! You may use anything I've ever posted in these forums, or ever will.[SUP]1[/SUP] :)

Pocus wrote:Jim, what is the game you would like? The upcoming one, featuring kittens and horseshoes, or another one?

I'm kinda surprised that you revealed the nature of the new game, frankly. But now that you've let the kitten out of the bag, so to speak, I have to say that I think that AGEod doing a Flash game to grab market share from the "Farmville" and "Angry Birds" demographic is just brilliant.

Smooches to you, sir, for your shrewd marketing move! :coeurs:

Aphrodite Mae

[SUP]1[/SUP]Anything I've posted, except the hottie string bikini pictures of me that I posted in the non-public forum, in my Beta blog. Please don't use those, OK?

Aphrodite Mae

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:15 pm

Just in case anyone is wondering... Yes, we'll be doing another quiz, in May! :) It will also involve several picture-related questions, but hopefully you won't find it to be quite as difficult as our last quiz!

There is also going to be a new rule added, involving a way for you to get bonus points for your quiz. It's simple: the sooner you send in your quiz response, the more bonus points you'll receive! The formula is as simple as can be: (Last day of the month - date your entry is received) / 10. So, for example, if you send your response in on May 11th, then since May has 31 days, you would receive 2 bonus points!

We're also discussing the idea of having hints for each question. The hints won't be publicly posted. Instead, if you're really stumped, you can request a hint! The hint will cost a half point, so using two hints on a question will cost a full point. Maybe you're thinking, "well, if I only get one point for each question, why use two hints?" The reason is so that you can collect more bonus points, by sending your entry in earlier!

So, get ready! On May 1st, we'll reveal the second AGEod quiz, the winner of which will receive another free game! :p ompom:
Aphrodite Mae

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Just in case anyone is wondering... Yes, we'll be doing another quiz, in May! :) It will also involve several picture-related questions, but hopefully you won't find it to be quite as difficult as our last quiz!

There is also going to be a new rule added, involving a way for you to get bonus points for your quiz. It's simple: the sooner you send in your quiz response, the more bonus points you'll receive! The formula is as simple as can be: (Last day of the month - date your entry is received) / 10. So, for example, if you send your response in on May 11th, then since May has 31 days, you would receive 2 bonus points!

We're also discussing the idea of having hints for each question. The hints won't be publicly posted. Instead, if you're really stumped, you can request a hint! The hint will cost a half point, so using two hints on a question will cost a full point. Maybe you're thinking, "well, if I only get one point for each question, why use two hints?" The reason is so that you can collect more bonus points, by sending your entry in earlier!

So, get ready! On May 1st, we'll reveal the second AGEod quiz, the winner of which will receive another free game! :p ompom:

If you send your answer in early but don't ask for any hints, will that increase your score? Or are the bonus points only to be used for buying hints?

Apart from that, I thought the level of difficulty of the last quiz was just fine. There was a bit of ambiguity in the phrasing of the definition of the right answer to some of the questions (especially the last one), but by staring at the tie-breaker questions it was possible to figure out what answer you were fishing for. But I am most certainly opposed to the idea of making the quiz easier, because the challenge of the thing is what makes it fun.

Hobbes

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:47 pm

I suppose the success of the quiz can only really be judged by the number of new people it brings to the site, or existing lurkers that finally log in (but also the number of existing members that enjoy the quiz). Hmm. How to please all these people :confused: We could run two quizzes - a hard and simple :)

Jim-NC

Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:25 am

I assume that as I won the last quiz, I am ineligible to win again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aphrodite Mae

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:21 am

Jim-NC wrote:I assume that as I won the last quiz, I am ineligible to win again.

It's a reasonable assumption, but you're mistaken! :) I strongly suspect that the May quiz will end with a supplementary tie-breaker quiz. If you once again are a finalist, and then win by taking another quiz...? I'll not only award you the game of your choice, but I'll also create a medal for such an astonishing achievement! :)

Philippe wrote:If you send your answer in early but don't ask for any hints, will that increase your score? Or are the bonus points only to be used for buying hints?

The bonus points are added to your total score, whether you use any hints or not.

Philippe wrote: [...] I thought the level of difficulty of the last quiz was just fine. [...] I am most certainly opposed to the idea of making the quiz easier, because the challenge of the thing is what makes it fun.

I thought that the difficulty level was about right, too. Even so, it would appear that I was wrong, since we had less than ten percent of the expected response! And yet, this thread had over a thousand page views when the March deadline arrived. Having less than twenty people respond to a six question quiz that's easy to enter in a thread with over a thousand page views says to me that the quiz was too difficult... especially with the new Kittens and Horseshoes: Scourge of Suburbia game coming out as a potential prize!
Aphrodite Mae

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:15 pm

Does that mean the next Ageod game won't be Slaves of Zenobia?

Return to “General discussions”