hannibal128
Private

new ideas for agoed games

Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:14 pm

1. I think a great idea is the achievements implemented in steam based games. Why ? because its a motivator and archives what you have done (i.e. has won a major victoy in AACW as the south in the grand campaign for example) and second you as company can see how often people play what scenarios/campaigns from what games and how balanced they really are. for example 500 started scenario or campaign 1 as side A and lost 90% of the time. I like the sometimes historically correct and realistically unbalanced designs of the scenarios unfortunatelly it is often hard to know which side is at a definitive disadvantage until you try a multiple amounts of times and then realise this was designed to be hard.

2. The play per email seems awkward a server based thing even its boils down to the play per email type mechanism would make online (turn by turn obviously) more accessible to all.

my 2 cents

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:39 pm

And AGEOD would have to forbid modding, and to be sure and control they'll compel players in using the Steam drm, like it's done for Civilization and Total War (mods are jokes on these Steam games).
No thanks.

hannibal128
Private

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:33 pm

I dont believe E3-divine winds is unmoddable and steam is not the only platform see http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?512931-What-is-Paradox-Connect

rsallen64
Private

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Personally, I can't stand Steam. When I want to play a game, I just want to fire it up and go. I don't want to have to log in to a server online and then access my games, which takes so much longer. I understand why some people like it, but I've tried it, and dislike it intensely, to the point that I refuse to purchase a game that requires the Steam engine. This would be a non-starter for me if Ageod went that way.
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]"Time has convinced all reasonable men, that war in theory and practice are two distinct things." William Tecumseh Sherman, 1863.

"This is especially true in AGEOD games." Me. ;)[/font]

Gray_Lensman

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:34 pm

deleted

rsallen64
Private

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Then I stand corrected, Gray, so thanks for the info. It's been a while since I had a Steam game, but, like you, I prefer Ageod's system much better.
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]"Time has convinced all reasonable men, that war in theory and practice are two distinct things." William Tecumseh Sherman, 1863.

"This is especially true in AGEOD games." Me. ;)[/font]

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:26 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:there are MODs available for these Total War games, so being distributed via Steam does NOT prohibit Mods as implied in the 2nd post above.

I said those mods were jokes.
If a Steam Medieval3 TW is to be released, there will be no way to do a Third Age mod with...

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:35 pm

GL: I have tried to purchase RUS from AGEOD. Was unable to download it!! Tried to purchase it from Matrix, download + Box. Will not download. I will await receipt. I wanted to buy it from Pocus/PhilThib, very much wanted to. But ... . I am very frustrated. I like to buy and download games. Have no Idea why download is no longer working. Any suggestions? I want to buy PON from AGEOD but ... . L3

Pocus

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:40 am

You should be very worried Tagwyn then, if you can't download from Matrix or Ageod. It means your computer has a problem, as I told you. Ask a friend of your to check for Malware, viruses and such like, this will be more prudent.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Hohenlohe

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:36 am

Pocus wrote:You should be very worried Tagwyn then, if you can't download from Matrix or Ageod. It means your computer has a problem, as I told you. Ask a friend of your to check for Malware, viruses and such like, this will be more prudent.

Dear Tagwyn, I suggest you to intensively follow the advice of Pocus. I had in the last 12 months three times some heavy problems with my PC alone as I found out. My PC was for some time misused as a BOT-System and sometimes I had some guests on my PC and even one evening in a very strange way on my Laptop, so that I had to delete all my Data on the Laptop because the intruder circumvent my Zonealarm-Firewall which I am constantly using. Usually I use a free Zonealarm-Version but now I have to rethink.
I would suggest you the following. Secure your personal documents and photos on an USB-Stick and if necessary most of your savegames too. Then please delete your whole system and data and make a totally new partition on your system, so that nothing will be anymore on your system. If you have not the necessary experience for that...(I think you must have that as a longtime computer user and player) you should look for someone trustworthy in your friendship circle or at your relatives. So it will be easier for you to reinstall your system and any software on your PC in a very secure way.
I think that it could be possible that someone has even misused your PC to get access to any webshop you have visited the last months so it will be better to check all your credit card transactions you have made and eventually your paypal account if you have one.

Sofar my advice due to some very strange experiences of my own...

greetings

Hohenlohe

edit: to be trustworthy seems good, but sometimes control will be better...
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

RELee
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:25 pm

Listen to these folks, Tagwyn. They are your friends. Hopefully your problems are merely a configuration issue with the new features in IE, but always expect the worse when dealing with email and the internet these days. At the moment, the bad guys have regained the initiative and are circumventing security solutions just about everywhere. People like myself are working overtime to help stop them. I'm working this weekend, as a matter of fact, with a McAfee tech who is coming on-site to help me get my anti-spam/anti-virus gateways re-configured properly.

Good luck.

Franciscus

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Reading this, I only wish that (good) games were also made for mac instead of only to Windoze... :bonk:

(I must say that if not for the games, I would have gone fully to mac long ago...)

gchristie
Brigadier General

Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:14 pm

No suggestions for new games...as I am still hoping for the finalized AACW patch once Lodilefty recovers and makes it so.

Then my next hope is that Clovis can quickly release the next version of the Struggle for a Vast Future mod.

Any thing beyond that is all gravy.

BTW, it looks like Spring has broken the back of Old Man Winter here in Maine. Hoping the sun is shining upon all of you as appropriate to your time zone :cool:

In honor of my 300th post, and making colonel...
Attachments
300-a.jpg
300-a.jpg (57.16 KiB) Viewed 5633 times
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Return to “General discussions”