Zookie
Civilian

Which AGEOD game?

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:58 am

I have been a fan of Paradox games for a long time and I thinking about giving AGEOD games a chance. So I am looking for a recommendation of which one to start with. Here is some info about what I like to help with the recommendation. Of all the Paradox games I have liked the HOI series (and its many mods) the best. I never got that into EU, don’t really know why, I think it because it was so open ended (which is not necessarily a bad thing it just did not click with me) that I felt like there was no incentive to do anything. My games always seem to stagnate and I felt like I was playing on autopilot or go on ridiculous conquering sprees (Hooray! Serbia conquers all the Middle East for some reason!) (Note: I am not bashing EU it just did not click with me). I liked Vicky and bit better because feel like there was bit more structure to the power struggles of the 19 century and I liked the domestic policy side of it (I have not tried Victoria II yet).

Anyway I prefer games that have political, economical, and diplomatic aspect, that are not purely war games. As for interest in the subject matter I am most interested in the AGEOD about WWI and the American Civil War. But I have hear less then positive things about the WWI games (which is sad because that is probably the historical period I am most interested in) and that the Civil game can be a little daunting to people with no other AGEOD experience and that it need to be clean up a little.

So here is my question would you recommend either the American Civil War or WWI gold edition? And why or why not, and would you recommend a different AGOED and why?

Hohenlohe

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:50 am

Zookie wrote:I have been a fan of Paradox games for a long time and I thinking about giving AGEOD games a chance. So I am looking for a recommendation of which one to start with. Here is some info about what I like to help with the recommendation. Of all the Paradox games I have liked the HOI series (and its many mods) the best. I never got that into EU, don’t really know why, I think it because it was so open ended (which is not necessarily a bad thing it just did not click with me) that I felt like there was no incentive to do anything. My games always seem to stagnate and I felt like I was playing on autopilot or go on ridiculous conquering sprees (Hooray! Serbia conquers all the Middle East for some reason!) (Note: I am not bashing EU it just did not click with me). I liked Vicky and bit better because feel like there was bit more structure to the power struggles of the 19 century and I liked the domestic policy side of it (I have not tried Victoria II yet).

Anyway I prefer games that have political, economical, and diplomatic aspect, that are not purely war games. As for interest in the subject matter I am most interested in the AGEOD about WWI and the American Civil War. But I have hear less then positive things about the WWI games (which is sad because that is probably the historical period I am most interested in) and that the Civil game can be a little daunting to people with no other AGEOD experience and that it need to be clean up a little.

So here is my question would you recommend either the American Civil War or WWI gold edition? And why or why not, and would you recommend a different AGOED and why?

First welcome to the decent AGEOD Community...*grin* Although I am playing many Paradox games for a long time I am more addicted with the AGEOD games because they are more related to the history than some PDOX games, but also they reflect the related historical timespan at the best and give me the good feeling to be a general in the old ages like the ACW.
One other important point I want to make clear is that the WWI game -although a good one of his kind - is NOT an AGEOD game sofar because it did not use the AGE-engine and was produced by a very small team but it is very good sofar. For someone with your gameplay experience I would suggest that you give either AACW or RUS a decent try to learn more about the AGEOD games. AACW reflect due to my personal opinion the ACW period very best related to other similar games. But that depends on your personal interests and gameplay style... :thumbsup:

greetings

Hohenlohe :coeurs:
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Zookie wrote: I have liked the HOI series (and its many mods) the best. I never got that into EU because I felt like there was no incentive to do anything. I liked Vicky and bit better because feel like there was bit more structure to the power struggles of the 19 century and I liked the domestic policy side of it (I have not tried Victoria II yet).

Same as you. I very much like HoI2, and Victoria too (for its social control).
I prefer games that have political, economical, and diplomatic aspect, that are not purely war games. As for interest in the subject matter I am most interested in the AGEOD about WWI and the American Civil War.
would you recommend either the American Civil War or WWI gold edition?

RUS is a some mix of both (Civil War and WWI era :D ).
Beware: You must have a normal screen for its resolution (i.e. not a 1280x1024 17" but a 19" or more, nor a 1920x1080 21.5" but a 23" or more), as the AGE game fonts are already the more small the devs could make, and won't fit the game windows if you make them bigger.

Daniel_Morgan
Corporal

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:25 pm

In the past two weeks I have played Birth of America II; War in America, and The Civil War and have immensely enjoyed them both.

If you have an older closer to the minimum requirements machine, AACW seems to run better.

Newer machines would handle either with ease.

Sanz de Acedo
Private

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:41 pm

You could try with Rise of Prussia, is a great game.

Carnium

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:24 pm

I am no great fan of Paradox games as I always had the fellig that they were too ambitious in therms what and how they played at the end.
If you want a nice and easy one to get into AGEOD games, then I strongly suggest you start with Wars in America (WiA). It is easy to learn, it has a lot of smaller scenarios and it is extremely addicting (as all AGEOD games).
Next in line would be RUS (they only one that I have not yet played) and Rise of Prussia (ROP) as both are a step forward in the learning curve.
American Civil War (AACOW) remains the AGEOD masterpiece and it is for me the most complete game that I have ever played. The only drawback is that it will take all your free time and that it is not to be recommended as "a first" AGEOD game to try. It is not so easy to learn, but as I said, the best one yet!
Napoleon's Campaigns has really nice battles, but is lacking a true grand campaign. The possible sequel could be MUCH better ;)
So my suggestion would be:
- WiA to learn the basic
- ROP and RUS to expand your knowledge, have even more fun and learn even more
- AACOW to complete the learning curve and enjoy the masterpiece until PON is out :D

hgilmer
Captain

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:23 am

Anyway I prefer games that have political, economical, and diplomatic aspect, that are not purely war games.

In my opinion, there is very little of political or diplomatic about AACW. That does not mean I don't really like and enjoy AACW. But, there is no diplomacy that I can think of and the political is a series of decisions on how you get money and get people to fight.

I consider it, imo, 95% war game. Others may not think so. I really like it, though.

Mortar
Sergeant

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:11 am

I am a very big fan of Aegod games since discovering a hard copy of AACW in a local game game store. I have just purchased BOA2 and I intend to purchase others eventually, in hard copy form, as I love that they have taken historical strategy games in such a serious direction. I love the PBEM system of play as it conforms perfectly to any schedule that has any open time. This work will only continue if the effort is supported by enough people, and you Sirs, have my support :thumbsup: (...albeit only that of one person).

Return to “General discussions”