13%
No way, Paradox will tell them what to do, hopefully a WW2 game
1%

Total votes: 80
Nikel

Which one first? NCP2 or AACW2

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:17 am

Let's mess a bit

2 secret projects? Hmm... my guess is HCP and APW :D ;)

But this poll is to ask another thing, after VGN that seems to be exhausting the resources, in which one should AGEod focus?

Carnium

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:48 am

NPC2 for me.

Reasons for NPC2?
AACW was/is a fantastic game with lots of features while NPC has left something to be desired.
AGEOD is a French company and this period was "their finest hour"
It would sell really good, but AACW 2 would be a hit too.
There are no really good games from this period that would cover the Napoleonic grand campaign and there are NO games that would cover French Revolutionary Wars. So an expansion for NPC2 could be worth considering.
Reasons against:
are there any? :D

Reasons for AACW2
North vs South is always popular and it would sell like crazy in NA
AACW is getting old and it seems that there is little room for improvement as drastic changes would need a new engine which will be soon available (VGN)
Reasons against:
AACW remains for me the AGEOD masterpiece and the most polished and complete of all AGEOD games to date, so a sequel is not THAT important right now.
A new NA map would only be useful for the American Civil War, Mexican-American War and the Indian Wars - limited options for an expansion and future scenarios.

Conclusion: I have a funny feeling that AGEOD bosses are thinking about completely new game set it .... :D

PhilThib

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:01 am

I cannot comment or vote now, as we have to wait while VGN reaches pre-release state to see which one is next. ;) :D

Now, to avoid future confusions, just note that AGEOD team works on official projects (among which those mentionned here are part) ... and we have Modders teams who are working on the so-called 'secret' projects....

So in the long run, players are the winners, as they will just get more games :cool: :thumbsup:

PascalB
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:49 am

NCP2 for me... but choice was really hard.
AACW is a so good game too.

But I stay disappointed when I saw that NCP didn't include a great campaign game with diplomatic and production... So I'd like to see this in a new Ageod game! Please gimme gimme gimme ! (Empires in arms was a true "0", I enjoyed so much the boardgame :( .)

I'm sure it'll be another great succes of your team !

Lannes
Major

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:59 am

I vote for other period, a global WW2 war. :thumbsup:

Pocus

Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:06 pm

To help people decide, if the choice boils down to NCP2 vs AACW2, they can try to picture what they would want in a version 2 which is presumably missing from version 1.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

sergentboetch
Sergeant

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:08 pm

NCP2 pour moi !!
Sans hésitation, avec en plus une partie maritime (même si c'était pas notre point fort) une grand campagne "Empire" et d'autres allant de Valmy à la campagne d'Italie... en passant par l'Egypte...avec la profondeur de ACW version 2010... :w00t:
Je suis pour :thumbsup:

vonRocko
Colonel

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Whatever game it is, have a boxed version! $1.00 for cardboard and 25 cents for a cd. Charge $20.00 more for a physical copy, how do you loose money? Just make a few sets because it seems most people are happy with downloads anyway. I'll bet the boxed sets would sellout immediately. You don't even need to print the manual, just sell me a cd! I would even bankroll the boxed sets, I know I would make some profit from it. Companies are just getting lazy.

Generalisimo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:09 pm

If it was up to me... I think NCP deserves another chance... :thumbsup:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Generalisimo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:11 pm

vonRocko wrote:Whatever game it is, have a boxed version! $1.00 for cardboard and 25 cents for a cd. Charge $20.00 more for a physical copy, how do you loose money? Just make a few sets because it seems most people are happy with downloads anyway. I'll bet the boxed sets would sellout immediately. You don't even need to print the manual, just sell me a cd! I would even bankroll the boxed sets, I know I would make some profit from it. Companies are just getting lazy.

:blink:
With all due respect... I think you are not aware how the distribution of games works. ;)
Napoleon Bonaparte

caranorn

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:53 pm

I voted AACW2. Mostly because I think that by the time VGN is out this game could use an overhaul/expansion. Also because it should be a sure sell, so almost cheap money to finance a more risky game design...

For that game after AACW2 I'd be in favour of either WWII (global or maybe the West, Meditarenean and North Africa (the British (and French (and US, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, South Africa and I expect 90% of potential customers' home countryies')) theaters of operation)) or medieval fiefs (maybe the VGN engine could handle something of the kind)...
Marc aka Caran...

Franciscus

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:05 pm

Pocus wrote:To help people decide, if the choice boils down to NCP2 vs AACW2, they can try to picture what they would want in a version 2 which is presumably missing from version 1.

NCP2 - because a grand campaign is missing from NCP ;) :D

Franciscus

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Generalisimo wrote: :blink:
With all due respect... I think you are not aware how the distribution of games works. ;)

With all due respect ;) , I don't think you are that much more aware of games distribution... Or are you also a publisher ? :D
I have nothing against digital downloads. Some of the best games I have are DD. But it is still possible to be different. Let me tell a story: I bought HWLG. I chose a collector's edition. Immediate access to DD. After a few weeks I received a beautiful book-like cardboard box; a 200 pages color manual (with another 200 pages in pdf :wacko :) ; 8 color cards with additional info; a leather-bound USB key; and a CD with my name !! :coeurs: . I paid aprox 90€. I would have paid more. Is it finantially wise to release such a box ? I do not know. Maybe RoP in DD is also not finantially rewarding, only Ageod knows.
Printed manuals, maps, cards are something that I love and for sure add an Incredible value to our hobby.
Regards

lodilefty

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Franciscus wrote:With all due respect ;) , I don't think you are that much more aware of games distribution... Or are you also a publisher ? :D
I have nothing against digital downloads. Some of the best games I have are DD. But it is still possible to be different. Let me tell a story: I bought HWLG. I chose a collector's edition. Immediate access to DD. After a few weeks I received a beautiful book-like cardboard box; a 200 pages color manual (with another 200 pages in pdf :wacko :) ; 8 color cards with additional info; a leather-bound USB key; and a CD with my name !! :coeurs: . I paid aprox 90€. I would have paid more. Is it finantially wise to release such a box ? I do not know. Maybe RoP in DD is also not finantially rewarding, only Ageod knows.
Printed manuals, maps, cards are something that I love and for sure add an Incredible value to our hobby.
Regards

Nice discussion of attractions used in marketing, :thumbsup:
but with all due respect, it has no bearing on distribution... :confused:
...and before you pounce, yes, I have been involved professionally in distribution. :)

...but I do agree that 'Collector's Editions' are truly treasures. :thumbsup: :coeurs:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

PhilThib

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:53 pm

I am still carrying over 2,000 unsold boxes of previous games....so this does not push for making boxes (at a non-prohibitive price) :(

Nikel

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:07 pm

PhilThib wrote:I am still carrying over 2,000 unsold boxes of previous games....so this does not push for making boxes (at a non-prohibitive price) :(

Preorder could be a solution?

Nobody knows what is the uselfulness of preordering, and this could be one, only for boxed copies at an extra price

Those who want a boxed copy will get it and you will not carry unsold boxes ;)

Generalisimo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Franciscus wrote:With all due respect ;) , I don't think you are that much more aware of games distribution... Or are you also a publisher ? :D

Sadly for you... I do know people that work on that. ;)
I do not need to be a publisher to talk about that type of business if I know what I am talking about.
If we would need to follow your logic, then you can't talk about games because you are not a game developer. :blink: :wacko: :D
:mdr: :mdr: :mdr:

Franciscus wrote:I have nothing against digital downloads. Some of the best games I have are DD. But it is still possible to be different. Let me tell a story: I bought HWLG. I chose a collector's edition. Immediate access to DD. After a few weeks I received a beautiful book-like cardboard box; a 200 pages color manual (with another 200 pages in pdf :wacko :) ; 8 color cards with additional info; a leather-bound USB key; and a CD with my name !! :coeurs: . I paid aprox 90€. I would have paid more. Is it finantially wise to release such a box ? I do not know. Maybe RoP in DD is also not finantially rewarding, only Ageod knows.
Regards

In the past, I liked to have boxed copies of games... nowadays, I totally preffer Digital Downloads.
If you want, you can add my user as a friend to your Steam account (since you got ETW, you MUST have one :neener :) ... then you will know what I mean. :w00t: :D

What you are saying about "only AGEOD knows" is a futile discussion... Paradox already talked about this issue... maybe you have missed that discussion? :D
Napoleon Bonaparte

Generalisimo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:19 pm

lodilefty wrote:...but I do agree that 'Collector's Editions' are truly treasures. :thumbsup: :coeurs:

Sure... I have bought Fallout 3 Collectors Edition just to have all the unique content... plus:
:mdr: :mdr:
Napoleon Bonaparte

Generalisimo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Nikel wrote:Preorder could be a solution?

Nobody knows what is the uselfulness of preordering, and this could be one, only for boxed copies at an extra price

Those who want a boxed copy will get it and you will not carry unsold boxes ;)

Preorder was available for ROP on GamersGate... and on Steam too.

So, you want to only manufacture/sell boxed copies that people have already paid? You want to create boxes "on demand"? :confused:
Napoleon Bonaparte

Franciscus

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:22 pm

I believe the majority of games buyers do not care about manuals, etc. But I believe some of us "old-timers" ;) value tremenduosly such things. Let's talk about RoP. I know next to nothing about the 7yW. (although I already bought a couple of books on the subject). I assure you, though, that I would have paid double RoP's price for a box edition with a manual, a printed color historic map, some cards with game art, etc.
And such extras would for sure attract much more wargamers not familiar with the 7yW.
Imagine a NCP2 box with a manual; a small Napoleonic history booklet with the explanation of the main campaigns, armies, leaders, etc. A full color map of Napoleonic Europe... :coeurs:

Regarding distribution, I know nothing :neener: . I only know that HWLG is self published by JMM and his daughter, that probably packed and shipped those boxes themselves. Is it sane ? Probably not :wacko: . Is it great and comendable ? IMHO yes !
@ Generalisimo: I understand you have difficulty in finding good games in your country. Why don't you try the experience of receiving in your mailbox LG ? They have even shipped it to Australia :D

Jim-NC

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:28 pm

Alas, I can not vote, as it would not be fair. I have only 1 of the games in question, and so can not make an informed decision.

I must say that either way, there are good reasons for doing either one, and no lack of helpful suggestions from the forumites.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Generalisimo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:30 pm

Franciscus wrote:I believe the majority of games buyers do not care about manuals, etc. But I believe some of us "old-timers" ;) value tremenduosly such things. Let's talk about RoP. I know next to nothing about the 7yW. (although I already bought a couple of books on the subject). I assure you, though, that I would have paid double RoP's price for a box edition with a manual, a printed color historic map, some cards with game art, etc.
And such extras would for sure attract much more wargamers not familiar with the 7yW.
Imagine a NCP2 box with a manual; a small Napoleonic history booklet with the explanation of the main campaigns, armies, leaders, etc. A full color map of Napoleonic Europe... :coeurs:

I still remember the days where people said Dominions 3, a manual with a game :blink: (yes, it is that way :neener: ) will never be on digital download.
Guess what?.... you can buy it now on DD... ;)
Sadly, for all of us, the days of boxed copies for niche markets are over. :(
It is only a viable (=profitable) option for blockbuster games.

Franciscus wrote:Regarding distribution, I know nothing :neener: . I only know that HWLG is self published by JMM and his daughter, that probably packed and shipped those boxes themselves. Is it sane ? Probably not :wacko: . Is it great and comendable ? IMHO yes !

An effort of one "family" to live their dream doesn't mean that Paradox should implement such a system... really. ;)

Franciscus wrote:@ Generalisimo: I understand you have difficulty in finding good games in your country. Why don't you try the experience of receiving in your mailbox LG ? They have even shipped it to Australia :D

Shipment to Argentina is NOT recommended, at all... unless you pay extra higher cost for extra security (+US$40) .
If the shipment is not lost... it is stolen by the post office workers :blink: ... so, it is more or less the same in the end... :(
If you are lucky enough, they will not like what you are receiving... but they will ask you for a "little extra fee" to release the package :blink: ... or it will be lost forever on the bureacratic offices of the postal office. Yes, just like that...
I have suffered them enough times already... :(
Napoleon Bonaparte

Nikel

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:37 pm

Generalisimo wrote:So, you want to only manufacture/sell boxed copies that people have already paid? You want to create boxes "on demand"? :confused:

Yes, and of course only available if a minimum of copies are sold

Franciscus

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:42 pm

nikel wrote:yes, and of course only available if a minimum of copies are sold

+ 1

vonRocko
Colonel

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:28 pm

Generalisimo wrote: :blink:

You think wrong. Boxed games can be made and sold without losing money. Bad management and planning is to blame for having enormous excess stocks laying around. Why don't we cut the excuses and admit that they they just can't be bothered to do it. I have every game from these guys,up to ROP,and they are boxed games. As was mentioned before, I would have ROP also,despite a lack of interest in that conflict,if I could get a cd! Forget the box, how about just the cd in an envelope? Or is that cost prohibitive also?
Heck, I'll send Ageod a Cd to burn the game for me, since I just can't seem to be able to do this simple procedure.

Generalisimo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:46 pm

vonRocko wrote: Forget the box, how about just the cd in an envelope? Or is that cost prohibitive also?
Heck, I'll send Ageod a Cd to burn the game for me, since I just can't seem to be able to do this simple procedure.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I really can't understand your frustration... what you are asking is EXACTLY what you can do at home in front of your PC after you have bought your game on the AGEOD webshop.

The process is quite simple:
1-Buy the game on the AGEOD webshop (using PayPal or your favourite Credit Card).
2-Download the installer
3-Optional: Install the game :D
4-Create a txt file with your serial number
5-Burn the installer and the txt file on a DVD
6-Now install your game from the DVD :D (if you haven't done it already on step 3)
7-Put on a safe place your new "boxed copy"
8-Play the game

Really, I will suggest you give it a try... ;)
Napoleon Bonaparte

vonRocko
Colonel

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:56 pm

I have tried. I get it on the disc, but never get it to reinstall. Thanks for the directions, and I will keep trying. Regardless, I still want a cd for my money.

Generalisimo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:57 pm

Nikel wrote:Yes, and of course only available if a minimum of copies are sold

Like I said before, this discussion is completelly futile. The ones that have "the numbers" and more experience on the market have already make up their mind. There will be no boxed copies from certain games distributed by Paradox. ;)

I will quote someone from Paradox:
To be able to sell a boxed version of the smaller titles we sell, and make a profit from that, we would have to make the box so expensive that no one would buy it. See how that makes no sense? That's why this is download only.

Done. :)
Napoleon Bonaparte

Generalisimo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:58 pm

vonRocko wrote:I have tried. I get it on the disc, but never get it to reinstall. Thanks for the directions, and I will keep trying. Regardless, I still want a cd for my money.

I have done that with all AGEOD games... plus others that I have bought through GamersGate and/or Steam.
So, you must be doing something wrong along the way...
What's exactly the problem/error you encounter?
Napoleon Bonaparte

caranorn

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:06 pm

vonRocko wrote:I have tried. I get it on the disc, but never get it to reinstall. Thanks for the directions, and I will keep trying. Regardless, I still want a cd for my money.

Like Generalismo I don't understand what problem you might be encountering. I've reinstalled Ageod's games many times before, be it from external disks (CD, DVD, USB-stick, hard drive) or from my main drive. All you need is the installer and your serial number. If there is a problem with either you can always contact Ageod's technical support...
Marc aka Caran...

Return to “General discussions”