marcd0g
Conscript

Looking for a old windows 95/ (maybe) 98 Fantasy Strategy Game

Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:24 am

I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong area, new to the forums.

I can't remember the name or anything to definative about it other than:
1 It's a fantasy strategy game
2 You could play any faction, but the evil one
3 It was turnbased
4 It had medevil units (pikemen, archers, ect.)
5 It was similar to Total War, in that it had a regular map, but fought in realtime battle units
6 If it is any help, the evil faction was impossible (or almost) to beat

This game is driving me crazy, I want to find it, so if you can please help

Pocus

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:26 am

that's the right area.

Lords of Magic fits all your description but for the AI which was non existent.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

marcd0g
Conscript

thanks

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:54 am

thanks for the help, it is much appreciated. i googled LOM and saw some screens of it, the game i saw was more like Diablo. the game i'm looking for has unit fighting, something which i failed to put in. the graphics for battles is alot like Shogun: Total War. thanks again pocus

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:13 am

What about Myth (1, 2 & 3), or Warhammer? (much older)?

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Hidde
Sergeant

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:35 am

I think this might be the Warhammer game that Korrigan mention
Dark Omen.
Attachments
wardark_screen003.jpg
wardark_screen003.jpg (48.33 KiB) Viewed 10415 times

marcd0g
Conscript

All good finds

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:18 am

Still the enviroments aren't the same and I'm pretty sure it wasn't WH game. It's battle graphics were very similar to Shogun TW, same as formation of units, plus out of battle the game is turnbased.

Hidde
Sergeant

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:05 am

Pocus

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:55 am

yes this is lord of magic again. It could have been a real cool game if the AI existed in the game, but it posed no challenge at all on the strat map.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Hidde
Sergeant

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:31 am

Oops, didn't pay enough attention to earlier contributions. My bad. :nuts:

marcd0g
Conscript

all good tries

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:02 pm

let me use some screens from other games to help

1 k, the turnbased map was similiar, but it looked like more of a real map (like a treasure map, Arghh)

2 when you do a battle it is very similiar to this, but couldn't zoom in that much. it is alot like Shogun:TW where you could only zoom in a bit

i know these are images from M2TW, but they're best example i can get. there was also a unit tray just like in magic and total war. after thinking a bit more too. i remembered one of the factions on there were call, i think, the storm nation and the person incharge was a regent.

i checked the dominions post too, it kind of reminds of that, but the game has no mythological creatures (as far as I can remember).

PDF

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:18 pm

Wasn't that game Lord of the Realm 1/2 ?
It had a strat map and tac battles, no mythology as you were playing a medieval lord, it was about crop rotation, sheep management, weapons production and troop management also. A rather fun game but becoming repetitive rather quickly IIRC :sourcil:

marcd0g
Conscript

nice find, but not it

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:47 am

sorry, while i looked through the games (which i bought #3 of ebay), this is not the game. the world it is set in is not europe or in any factual continent. it seems we are all stumped on this one.

Chris0827
General

Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:17 am

Fantasy General?

Hidde
Sergeant

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:52 am

Ok, seems like a long shot but what about:
Majesty:The Fantasy Kingdom
http://pc.ign.com/articles/163/163230p1.html

Pocus

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:39 am

I really like Majesty, playing it to death. I know it displeased many people to not be able to control directly your heroes, but for me it was THE idea of the game. Indirect control, incentives and such, this was a gust of fresh wind.

PDF

Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:38 pm

Looks fun and a rather fresh approach, I'll give it a try :cwboy:

joe33
Civilian

Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:16 am

Was it not an old game called,Warrior Kings: Battles,a sequal to warrior kings dealing with more fighting.This one had a campaign map,and then had a rts style battles,but was really good i still have my copy,and is still fun to play,though the control was not great you could get some huge epic battles going off.
Also it had spearmen,archers etc and huge giants and magic,really good game,you had to build supply lines on the rts bit,and that made it far harder then most games.Sadly they never seemed to bother with a new version,doubt it sold well.
Heres a old review of it- http://uk.pc.ign.com/objects/489/489799.html

marcd0g
Conscript

nope

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:59 am

unfortunately none so far are the game. think more multi-unit fighting squads like TW style. there was also a faction that was impossible to beat and that was the objective, along with making alliances and fighting other factions. i think i might offer a reward for the right title.

marcd0g
Conscript

remembering

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:47 am

ok, it might be by dungeons and dragons... maybe. i'm pretty sure it has the word "wrath" in the title.

VladTepesz
Private

Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:56 am

Could it be Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance? http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/birthrightthegorgonsalliance/screenindex.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gsimage

Kind of a sleeper hit, slightly unplayable yet compelling. :)
It had a strategic layer and an rpg layer...

My first post here - thank God I found AGEOD (through steam/BoA) - who could have thought that getting HL2 as an unexpected christmas gift some year ago could lead to finding the home of excellent strategy games!? :coeurs:

Primasprit

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:43 pm

VladTepesz wrote:My first post here - thank God I found AGEOD (through steam/BoA) - who could have thought that getting HL2 as an unexpected christmas gift some year ago could lead to finding the home of excellent strategy games!? :coeurs:

Welcome :)
I found the game via Paradox/Gamersgate. I think it is really good that BoA is distributed via a lot of channels. Paradox, Steam, Matrix, in Germany also as boxed version. So sooner or later everyone will find it. :cwboy:

VladTepesz
Private

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:21 pm

Primasprit wrote:Welcome :)
I found the game via Paradox/Gamersgate. I think it is really good that BoA is distributed via a lot of channels. Paradox, Steam, Matrix, in Germany also as boxed version. So sooner or later everyone will find it. :cwboy:

Thanks! :)

And oh how I have waited for a GOOD ACW strat level game... there have been some tries during the years, but none has made me tick yet. In the hexagon world it's easier to find quality (CoA's War for the Union, VG's Civil War - not my fave but ok, GMT's For the People), but on the pc market it is long overdue methinks.

PDF

Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:15 pm

VladTepesz wrote:Thanks! :)

And oh how I have waited for a GOOD ACW strat level game... there have been some tries during the years, but none has made me tick yet. In the hexagon world it's easier to find quality (CoA's War for the Union, VG's Civil War - not my fave but ok, GMT's For the People), but on the pc market it is long overdue methinks.

Now you should be happy !
You already have FoF available (not sure it's really "good" but it's fun sure), then soon AACW (this one will rock !), and even then Grisby's ACW game (with the WaW engine, it'll be higher level but surely good).
:siffle:

VladTepesz
Private

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:28 pm

PDF wrote:Now you should be happy !
You already have FoF available (not sure it's really "good" but it's fun sure), then soon AACW (this one will rock !), and even then Grisby's ACW game (with the WaW engine, it'll be higher level but surely good).
:siffle:

Yup! Already got FoF on the drive, not my cup'o'tea though, feels too "generic" to me. Grigsby's/2by3's will be interesting, and, obviously, AACW is already earmarked for DD. :cwboy:

Meanwhile, I bought GMT Games' 'For the People', my first boardgame in ages... then I started digging out my old copy of 'War for the Union' (Clash of Arms) - just to read the rules, feverishly ponder the mapboard, touch the counters and read the designer notes countless times while waiting for that magic "early 2007" date to turn up... :bonk:

marcd0g
Conscript

i think we found a winner

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:49 pm

did they make any more gorgon's series after birthright? cause i the story seems to fit, but i think it might be the one after this (if there was one). it was also made by sierra, which is the company i remember.

VladTepesz
Private

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:03 pm

marcd0g wrote:did they make any more gorgon's series after birthright? cause i the story seems to fit, but i think it might be the one after this (if there was one). it was also made by sierra, which is the company i remember.
Nope, not that I know of or can find any info on anyway. Maybe some ultrafans made unofficial mods/patches or such though, who knows.

Return to “General discussions”