Generalisimo

Taking showers 'can make you ill'

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:37 pm

[SIZE="4"]Taking showers 'can make you ill'[/size]
Showering may be bad for your health, say US scientists, who have shown that dirty shower heads can deliver a face full of harmful bacteria.

Tests revealed nearly a third of devices harbour significant levels of a bug that causes lung disease.

Levels of Mycobacterium avium were 100 times higher than those found in typical household water supplies.

M. avium forms a biofilm that clings to the inside of the shower head, reports the National Academy of Science.

In the Proceedings journal, the study authors say their findings might explain why there have been more cases of these lung infections in recent years, linked with people tending to take more showers and fewer baths.

Water spurting from shower heads can distribute bacteria-filled droplets that suspend themselves in the air and can easily be inhaled into the deepest parts of the lungs, say the scientists from the University of Colorado at Boulder.

Potential threat

Lead researcher Professor Norman Pace, said: "If you are getting a face full of water when you first turn your shower on, that means you are probably getting a particularly high load of Mycobacterium avium, which may not be too healthy."

While it is rarely a problem for most healthy people, those with weakened immune systems, like the elderly, pregnant women or those who are fighting off other diseases, can be susceptible to infection.

They may develop lung infection with M. avium and experience symptoms including tiredness, a persistent, dry cough, shortness of breath and weakness, and generally feel unwell.

When the researchers swabbed and tested 50 shower heads from nine cities in seven different states in the US, including New York City and Denver, they found 30% of the devices posed a potential risk.

Since plastic shower heads appear to "load up" with more bacteria-rich biofilms, metal shower heads may be a good alternative, said Professor Pace.

Showers have also been identified as a route for spreading other infectious diseases, including a type of pneumonia called Legionnaires' disease and chest infections with a bacterium called Pseudomonas aeruginosa.

Hot tubs and spa pools carry a similar infection risk, according to the Health Protection Agency.

A HPA spokesperson said: "This is an interesting paper which provides further information about the occurrence of opportunist organisms - germs which do not usually cause infections in humans - in the environment.

"These bacteria, which belong to the same family as TB, can be found in the environment and occasionally in water supplies but rarely cause disease in healthy people.

"Further work will need to look at whether finding these organisms is associated with any increased risk of infection."

LINK:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8254206.stm

Maybe someone is happy about this news? ... now you have something to say to not take a shower! :blink: :wacko:
:D
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

vonRocko
Colonel

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:40 pm

Maybe If people would actually clean their house and bathroom, they wouldn't have this problem. :bonk:

arsan

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:50 pm

vonRocko wrote:Maybe If people would actually clean their house and bathroom, they wouldn't have this problem. :bonk:

Bah! House cleaning is highly overrated! :wacko:
At home we just put names to our fluff balls and pretend they are our pets :neener: :D
But really, do somebody clean their shower heads?? :confused:
C'mon! they must be the cleanest things on the world!! They are always taking showers!! :thumbsup:

lodilefty

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:53 pm

Recent research has uncovered a nasty truth:
Life is hazardous to your health :wacko:

Also, there is growing evidence that reported increases in juvenile asthma may be the result of 'too clean' a life style for children. They don't get exposed to allergens, and thus build no immunities... So, be sure your children eat dirt. I did, and look at how I've ended up :neener:

:mdr: :mdr: :mdr:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

TiFlo
Captain

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:17 pm

vonRocko wrote:Maybe If people would actually clean their house and bathroom, they wouldn't have this problem. :bonk:

Maybe if people stopped being paranoid about bacterias and making their home a sterile laboratory-like environment, there would be less kids prone to alergies and diseases.

@ lodi
+1
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

Generalisimo

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:36 pm

lodilefty wrote:Recent research has uncovered a nasty truth:

I completelly agree. :thumbsup:

lodilefty wrote:Also, there is growing evidence that reported increases in juvenile asthma may be the result of 'too clean' a life style for children. They don't get exposed to allergens, and thus build no immunities... So, be sure your children eat dirt. I did, and look at how I've ended up :neener:

Napoleon Bonaparte

Pocus

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:03 pm

Also, there is growing evidence that reported increases in juvenile asthma may be the result of 'too clean' a life style for children. They don't get exposed to allergens, and thus build no immunities... So, be sure your children eat dirt. I did, and look at how I've ended up :neener:

We will all eat dirt in the end anyway. :blink:

What, I can't make some dark humor at time? :neener:

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Franciscus

Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:34 pm

Pocus wrote:We will all eat dirt in the end anyway. :blink:

What, I can't make some dark humor at time? :neener:

Sure you can...Image

vonRocko
Colonel

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:39 pm

TiFlo wrote:Maybe if people stopped being paranoid about bacterias and making their home a sterile laboratory-like environment, there would be less kids prone to alergies and diseases.

@ lodi
+1

I'm not saying sterilize your house.But if your showerhead is producing a TB like bacteria,then you have a disgusting bathroom.I guess a little calcium and lime cleaner every few months is just to much to ask.

Jim-NC

Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:18 am

Not only dirt, but add pets, there is nothing like an animal licking your child after performing a thorough cleaning on itself. EWWWWWW!!!! :mdr: :mdr: :mdr:
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TiFlo
Captain

Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:56 pm

vonRocko wrote:I'm not saying sterilize your house.But if your showerhead is producing a TB like bacteria,then you have a disgusting bathroom.I guess a little calcium and lime cleaner every few months is just to much to ask.

That sounds indeed most reasonable :)
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

Generalisimo

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:03 pm

vonRocko wrote:I'm not saying sterilize your house.But if your showerhead is producing a TB like bacteria,then you have a disgusting bathroom.I guess a little calcium and lime cleaner every few months is just to much to ask.

Well, I always think that, specially in the bathroom and in the kitchen, it is never "clean" enough... so, I always clean again just in case... :wacko:
:D
Napoleon Bonaparte

Return to “General discussions”