Which is you preference for future AGEod games?

Antiquity Greek: Peloponnesian, Alexander the Great.
9%
Antiquity Roman: Punic, Cesar, Civil wars.
13%
Middle ages. Renaissance
9%
30 Years war
12%
NCP with Grand Campaign and production
13%
ACW, just in case it can be improved even more ;)
7%
WW1 with AGE engine
6%
WW2 East
3%
WW2 West
2%
WW2 Mediterranean and Africa
2%
WW2 Pacific
2%
WW2 Global
7%
Vietnam
5%
Fantasy: orcs, elves,...
2%
SF, space.
3%
Other, specify
3%
WW2, Europe only
2%

Total votes: 949
yoshino
Conscript

Sat May 14, 2011 9:27 am

If you enjoyed tactical part of L'Empereur, you would also be satisfied with Crown of Glory:Emperors Edition on Matrix Games.I highly recommend it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/366/details/Crown.of.Glory:.Emperors.Edition

Personally, I think the AGEOD engine couldn't handle tactical hex battles well, and I don't like to import this part because it would be too time consuming to playing a game.

Peeking Duck?
Conscript

Sun May 15, 2011 4:27 pm

yoshino wrote:If you enjoyed tactical part of L'Empereur, you would also be satisfied with Crown of Glory:Emperors Edition on Matrix Games.I highly recommend it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/366/details/Crown.of.Glory:.Emperors.Edition

Personally, I think the AGEOD engine couldn't handle tactical hex battles well, and I don't like to import this part because it would be too time consuming to playing a game.

Actually. CoG is precisely what I don't want :) IN fairness, I haven't played the new edition, but the original did exactly what I outlined in my post - generate some random tactical map with roughly the same terrain and weather conditions as the strategic map. If you were defeated in that battle and came back again with a new army, the tactical map would be entirely different - even if you approached from the same direction.

I looked through the new features list on the link you gave me and it made no mention of changing that aspect of the game. Hopefully, NCP2 can pick up where L'Empereur left off.

PS - I just re-read my post and it came across sounding rather bitchy - it certainly wasn't meant to ;)

Gjergj K.
Private

Mon May 23, 2011 7:51 am

I think a game based on either the second Sino-Japanese war (1937-45) or else the Chinese Civil war. There is some air war, but not a great deal, so it would be well served by an existing AGEOD engine. Lots of potential customers in Taiwan/China and Japan.

gchristie
Brigadier General

Mon May 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Based on the activity in the football thread, I'm surprised noone has suggested a World Cup game :D

JK as my kids would say.

Regards
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

marcusjm
Colonel

Tue May 24, 2011 3:21 pm

I thought Crown of Glory was pretty bad.

Philippe Thibaut is capable of doing much better game designs and I (really) hope that PON shows where the cupboard should stand as we say here in Sweden :) .

Then on to EU as originally envisioned by P.T ;) .

But if it was sports then maybe a Rugby Manager game would be in order? I don't think anyone can crack the lead of the mighty FM series.

Narwhal

Sat May 28, 2011 2:29 pm

Rise and Fall of Imperial Sweden
(or another cool title : Battle for Scandinavia, ...)

A war game about the war in Northern (Scandinavian / Baltic) Europe in the XVIth century would be outstanding in my opinion. It would be centered on Sweden as Sweden was the major land power of the area, with a situation not unlike the one of Prussia : all its neighbours wanted it dead.

It would work perfectly with the RoP engine, as each war saw little to no shift of alliances.

You could make a lot of campaigns with these wars :

The War of Deposition (1598-1599) - Civil War in Sweden, with lots of Polish troops everywhere
Kalmar War (1611-1613) - A rather classical war, with Sweden as the underdog but in defense against a Denmark short of time due to Dutch and England threats
Ingrian War (1610-1617) - War in Northern Russia to cut Russia from having a port. Sweden has high quality troops, but they are far away from home.
The Hannibal War (a.k.a. the Northern Punic War) (1643-1645)
The Little Northern War (1655-1660) - A rather classical war, with Denmark stronger on land but much weaker on sea, and having troubles coordinating its superior forces (one in Denmark, one in Norway). Despite its name a fairly major war.
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Swedish_War_%281656%E2%80%931658%29[/url]The Russo-Swedish War[/url] (1656-1658) - a rather classical war for the control of Ingria and Livonia
Scanian War (1675-1679) - a major war with a very mobile front and territory being taken and lost very quickly. Lots and lots of naval battles.
The Great Northern War (1697-1721) - whose sheer scope would humble the 7-years war. In my opinion the most important war of the Ancien Régime 17th century (more than the 7YW)

The map would include Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, North-Western Russia, Livonia, Lithuania, the Northernest third of Polan, the North of the HRE. The control of the central seas would be absolutely crucial (which is unfortunately not the case in RoP), and winter would be a killer : 6 to 8 months of campaign a year, and then everything stops - or die.

If the game is successful, many other wars can be added in the same map : earlier wars (XVIth century has quite a few) or later ones (mostly Sweden vs Russia : the Hat's War, the War of 1788 and the Finnish War). Most Swedish-Polish wars would be out, though, as they occured in the heart of Poland for most of them.

A part of the 30-years war could be included. The 30-years war would be difficult to model in full with AGEOD engine due to the number of belligerant dropping out or in the war.

OneArmedMexican
General

Sat May 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Narwhal wrote:Rise and Fall of Imperial Sweden
(or another cool title : Battle for Scandinavia, ...)

A war game about the war in Northern (Scandinavian / Baltic) Europe in the XVIth century would be outstanding in my opinion. It would be centered on Sweden as Sweden was the major land power of the area, with a situation not unlike the one of Prussia : all its neighbours wanted it dead.

It would work perfectly with the RoP engine, as each war saw little to no shift of alliances.

Excellent idea. :thumbsup: I sure would love such a game.

Narwhal wrote:A part of the 30-years war could be included. The 30-years war would be difficult to model in full with AGEOD engine due to the number of belligerant dropping out or in the war.

It might not be easy but I think it could be done. Perhaps it would be possible to assign each sub-faction a NM. If it gets too low the sub-faction drops out of the war. For example, Denmark's involvement in the 30-years War would end if its moral drops under a certain level. Such a concept would nicely simulate how certain factions retreated from the war after crushing defeats.
Similarly, the entry of new nations could be bound to the NM of Austria: For example if Austria's NM rises above a certain level, foreign nation intervene: first Denmark, then Sweden and finally France. This way, one could represent the German protestant's need for new champions as well as France desire to keep the Habsburg monarchy in check.

Working along these lines the 30-years War could be simulated as a two player game.

Personally, I think it would be amazing.

marcusjm
Colonel

Sun May 29, 2011 12:08 am

I like both ideas. I would love to see 30years war too,even if it has to be broken up into scenarios. This war had a huge impact on history and his without question the most under-represented war in games. Few wars left such a longlasting memory even among common folk due to it scale and brutality it also helped shape the future of North America.

hgilmer
Captain

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:09 am

A part of the 30-years war could be included. The 30-years war would be difficult to model in full with AGEOD engine due to the number of belligerant dropping out or in the war.

I think that Rise of Prussia shows that you can have nations jump in and out fairly quickly and easily with the AEGOD engine.

ChrisD
Sergeant

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:41 pm

Ma petite contribution au sondage.

- Guerre de 30 ans, guerre de succession d'Espagne, plus généralement guerres de Louis XIV.

- Guerre d'Espagne

- WW1

- SF : (un "Dune-like" ?)

Bisous.
ChrisD, mais pourquoi est-il si méchant ?

Einbauschrank
Conscript

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:07 pm

I have checked 30years war, SF and Fantasy. I think the 30years war would best fit the AGEOD engine and SF/Fantasy would allow for some lateral thinking (for the developers, too). The 30years war would need a diplomacy engine that's worth the name. But! I would also be interested in a WW1 or WW2 setting - if naval combat were to be included in an intelligent way.

If no big changes (except for diplomacy) are planned: 30years war.
If you want to do something really different: Fantasy/SF
If you want to beef up naval combat: WW1 or WW2, but I have no real preference.

My 0.02 cents.

stardustwebcams
Civilian

Which wargame or strategy game would you like that AGEod develops in the middle term

Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:25 pm

I will accept the fact that a WWII game is inevitable at some point in the future and of couse I will almost be compelled to buy it. I just think warfare was much more interesting before automatic weapons

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:38 pm

stardustwebcams wrote:I will accept the fact that a WWII game is inevitable at some point in the future...

WWII is a really tough market. I fear that AGEOD WWII would be the next PON, an all-consuming multi-year project sucking the energy out of every other AGEOD game. All things considered, a very risky gamble. Going backward in time (30 Years War, ancients, etc.) has its risks, but becoming Yet Another Me-Too Gaming Company has its drawbacks also. Dare to be different!?
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!
Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org
AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333
Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

PhilThib

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:54 pm

Being different is a good thing, but it does not make sales...the real issue is not what would like to do, it is what we MUST do in order not to become bankrupt...and unfortunately for us, players are buying WWII and not 30YW...that's a sad fact :(

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Okay, your reasoning accepted. Just be sure you somehow figure out a way to solve the "sucking the energy out of every other AGEOD game" problem.
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!

Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org

PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org

AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

wosung

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Well, I really hope there will be more AGE games.

While I would not like to see the two Phils making games they are not interested in at all, I really would love to see an AGE WW2 global game with one or two week turns, mainly corps sized units, a simpler economic than PON and a focus on it's main participants.

Actually, there’s virtually no TBS WW2 global game with some depth out there. So you’d have the most popular historical period combined with a global setting not yet beaten to death. Plus WW2 game data is easier & faster accessible than that of a more obscure era. Plus you already have PON's gobal map.

If all this helps to increase AGE engine’s popularity then it’ll be easier to sell the 30YW. It just doesn't help making fantastic games only a minority of an already niche audience is interested in.

Best regards

Kev_uk
Colonel

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:38 pm

wosung wrote:Well, I really hope there will be more AGE games.

While I would not like to see the two Phils making games they are not interested in at all, I really would love to see an AGE WW2 global game with one or two week turns, mainly corps sized units, a simpler economic than PON and a focus on it's main participants.

Actually, there’s virtually no TBS WW2 global game with some depth out there. So you’d have the most popular historical period combined with a global setting not yet beaten to death. Plus WW2 game data is easier & faster accessible than that of a more obscure era. Plus you already have PON's gobal map.

If all this helps to increase AGE engine’s popularity then it’ll be easier to sell the 30YW. It just doesn't help making fantastic games only a minority of an already niche audience is interested in.

Best regards

Oh no, please no. We have HoI and I think Matrix did something similar before. If they do go WW2, how about something more localised, like the North African Campaign, right through to Tunisia? That would be interesting, or France 1940?

I would though prefer something like another NCP, with diplomacy. Something that made Ageod stand out was its uniqueness covering conflicts that no other wargame company would dream of doing.

wosung

Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:44 pm

Kev_uk wrote:Oh no, please no. We have HoI and I think Matrix did something similar before. If they do go WW2, how about something more localised, like the North African Campaign, right through to Tunisia? That would be interesting, or France 1940?

I would though prefer something like another NCP, with diplomacy. Something that made Ageod stand out was its uniqueness covering conflicts that no other wargame company would dream of doing.

Oh no, please no. We have EU3: Napoleon's Ambition. And I think Creative Assembly did something similar before, and there is Matrix: Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809, Commander - Napoleon at War, Crown of Glory, Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition, Empire in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815, John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars, Napoleon in Italy No New Messages. As for WW2 localized: We have Gary Grigsby: War of the Pacific, War in Russia, the John Tiller operational/tactical games about North Africa, or nearly any other region, Operational Art of War, even those Panzer Corps Slitherine/Lordz crowd now plans an North Africa extension.

Napoleon?! So this is your choice for "something that made Ageod stand out was its uniqueness covering conflicts that no other wargame company would dream of doing"???

Sorry, but if it's only about conflicts never represented as a game before, then it really will be a short list:

No ancient Greece, or Rome, or Mediaval Europe or East Asia, or Age of discovery, etc. ... or cold war.

And even if Ageod/Paradox France would do a very unique "Soccer War/100 hour War, El Salvador vs. Honduras in 1969", how much the gaming world would care? How much this would help the 2 Phils to go on?

I just can repeat it there's no TBS WW2 global strategy game out there, only three axis and allies like attempts: Strategic command, Gary Grigsby's World at war and Making History. The only thing in pipeline would be Matrix World in Flames. But then again it's a board game adaption.

As for "good old boring overdone WW2, yes I can see the pros and cons. Accidently there are two recent posts/articles who hit some nail on the head, the first one by Mr. Eddy Sterckx, the second one by Mr. Tim Stone:

I'll cite them and give links, but immediately will remove those citations if the authors wish so.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical/browse_thread/thread/b6e0bbf19ada7a48#

"... “if you
have two solid games with well-written rules, you'll pick the one with
Formula 1 and not the one about goat grazing.” - Ignacy Trzewiczek.

Strange as it seems after all these years wargames about and set in
WW2 are, instead of steadily declining in public favour, actually
holding their own, and if you believe a recent poll in a wargame
magazine, even strengthening their lead over other time periods. Why
is that ?

Can’t be for patriotic or political/emotional reasons – there’s not
really a link anymore with the world we live in today and even the
Good Guys / Bad Guys connotations have faded.

Are the grogs steadily growing older and harking back to the AH type
games of their youth ? Possibly, but why are so many youngsters
happily playing FPS games set in a time period even their granddads
didn’t experience themselves ?

I only have to look at my own interests – apart from Nato vs WP which
never happened, I’m not in any way interested in any war after 1973 –
in essence any war I lived through personally, yet give me a couple of
panzers to play with and I’m a happy puppy.

Take a game like Panzer Corps – a large part of the attraction of that
game for me is the WW2 setting and equipment – I have to admit that
upgrading those PzKpfw I’s to II’s triggers a feeling of
accomplishment, of doing something that matters, of doing something
that I know makes a difference.

And this last thing might be the key to the ongoing popularity of WW2
in a weird, circular sort of way : we feel at home playing a game set
in a familiar environment and WW2 feels familiar to us because we’ve
played a lot of games set in that environment – a gaming perpetuum
mobile.

Thoughts and comments as always highly appreciated

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx "

The second:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/20/heavily-engaged-ignorance-is-bliss/#more-62713

"Heavily Engaged: Ignorance Is Bliss
By Tim Stone on June 20th, 2011 at 3:38 pm.

While those who don’t read history are, allegedly, doomed to repeat it, they can at least sleep easy knowing they’ll never find themselves on wargame forums grumbling about infantry AI, ballistics modelling, and uniform accuracy. There have been occasions during my long career as a bedroom battle orchestrator, when I’ve wondered whether I wouldn’t have been a much happier player had I steered well clear of history books, documentaries and message-boards.

The trouble is, once you’ve gulped – or even sipped – from the cool well of knowledge, there’s no going back. No un-sipping. Once you know that an M5 didn’t have a cat in hell’s chance of killing a Tiger tank from the front, any game that suggests otherwise, becomes tainted. Once you learn that the Napoleonic infantry battalion’s best defence against a cavalry charge was to form a hollow square, any game in which the AI appears not to know this, loses some of its magic. An informed player tends to be a harder to please player.

True, the fact-furnished grog also tends to be more involved and more appreciative. As Professor Alvis Saracen’s 2002 seminal study ‘Are Educated Wargamers Happy Wargamers?” indicates, the potentially alienating effects of background knowledge only kick in at a certain point.

Without some historical knowledge, you’re going to miss out on all that delicious resonance. Moments when a dev’s smart design decisions and painstaking attention to detail conspire to produce uncannily credible events, will slip past unnoticed. The uninformed are denied those surges of satisfaction that come from applying authentic tactics and getting authentic results.

Things only start getting dangerous at the higher echelons of learning. When the average WW2 buff sees a Combat Mission: Battle For Normandy AP shell slice straight through three halftracks then kill a Sherman tank, he thinks “Blimey, Battlefront’s ballistics are amazing!”. When a gamer whose bookshelves bow with weighty armoured warfare studies, sees the same thing, his thoughts may be different. “Hmm. I wonder if Battlefront’s ballistics take into consideration the HE bursting charge in German AP shells“.

He starts questioning. If he doesn’t get reassuring answers he may lose confidence. Worst-case scenario, he finds his relationship with the game souring. “If I can’t trust you on this question, where can I trust you?”

Peruse any wargame forum and you’ll spot knowledgeable grogs pricked into posting by perceived discrepancies between game and history. Sometimes the debates revolve around the absurdly trivial (CMx1′s failure to model Bren Gun tripods is a running joke/sore over at the Battlefront message-boards). Sometimes they go right to the heart of what makes a wargame a wargame.

I never did get round to playing Matrix’s mammoth Ost Front opus War In The East. I wonder if I had, whether I’d have noticed that the game’s treatment of fortifications can lead to unrealistically static 1942 frontlines. Heliodorus04 might be a happier bunny if he knew less about Fall Blau and Operation Uranus.

Of course, asking a wargamer to be less interested in military history is a bit like asking a dog fox to be less interested in chickens, monocles, or velvet waistcoats. Maybe it’s up to the devs to tweak their ways…

Gentlemen, Gentleladies, I present to you my ‘Five-Step Guide To Grog Contentedness’ or ‘What Wargame Developers Can Do To Keep Their Most Demanding Customers Happy.’

1. Maintain radio contact
Having participated in a few “Tiger turret traverse rate too fast?”-type forum threads in my time, I know the soothing power of a simple ‘”Yes, we’re looking into this” or “Fixed in coming patch” reply. Even a brutally honest “We didn’t have time to implement this” Or “This was low down on our list of priorities because…” is better than silence or evasion.

While a lot of wargame makers are actually pretty good at communicating with their fans, most could learn something from masters like Veitikka. Every time I stop by the Armored Brigade forum to see what’s new in the world of this regularly updated, free tactics gem, I’m impressed by the patience and honesty of the game’s Finnish creator.

The Veitikka Way: Facing blunt AI criticism? Take criticism on chin, possibly even use it as the basis for an improvement. Complimented on your AI? Downplay your achievements, and make no bones about the challenges ahead.

2. Keep things malleable
Sometimes no amount of explanation is going to placate the righteous petitioner. In such circumstances, the perfect safety-valve is a suite of editors and mod tools. If Swastickler79 refuses to accept that SS troops weren’t danger-dismissing über-warriors, remind him he can always massage their morale levels and combat abilities by hand.

3. Keep things abstract
The more explicit the wargame, the more chance there is the learned wargamer will spot something that looks awry. Consider Combat Mission’s new attitude towards timber. In the old CMx1 days woodland was an abstracted terrain type. You edged troops into it knowing that it would provide cover and concealment. CMBFN gives us individually modelled trunks and with them some brand-new realism headaches. Just how many 20mm cannon shells should it take to fell a mature Normandy poplar?

4. Lighten the mood
While the reaction to the Brothers In Arms 4 announcement proves you’ve got to be careful mixing whimsy with military history, I suspect wargames wouldn’t attract so much earnest criticism if they weren’t themselves so suffocatingly earnest, so determinedly po-faced. Matrix’s fairly recent Battlefield Academy had a jaunty comic-book style that made questions of mortar ranges and armour angles seem pretty unimportant.

5. Mine minor wars
Perhaps the best defence the makers of historical strategy have against the nitpickers and rivet counters, is obscurity. While thousands of us know – or think we know – something about how Shermans should fare against Panthers, or how a Napoleonic general might use cavalry, most of us are largely clueless when it comes to, say, the WWI Gebirgskrieg, the New Zealand Land Wars, or tribal clashes in Iron Age Briton. I suspect one of the many reasons I enjoyed Shogun 2 more than Napoleon: Total War, was not that its depiction of warfare is more realistic, it’s simply because I was less aware of the discrepancies.

I’d love to see some of my favourite wargame developers de-starch their collars/under-garments in the way that some of their tabletop and board wargame peers have done in recent years. Colonial warfare with a little dash of pulp adventure! Twenties aerial combat with a few flying Ironclads and cloud-dwarfing dirigibles! Underpinned by the same armatures of truth that underpin good grog fodder, such mash-ups could be just the crossover crowd-pleasers the genre needs. The day I spot an “AT rifles too strong vs Stegosaurs?” thread over at Battlefront.com or a “Carden Loyd tankette tactics against Martian tripods?” post at MatrixGames.com, will be a fine one indeed." "

Regards

Kev_uk
Colonel

Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:46 am

Well, whatever Paradox France (ex-Ageod) decide upon releasing, if it carries over from AACW, NPC, WiA, RUS et al, i.e their tactical battle resolutions, their research of history, their good AI's, then fine. I am not really interested in yet another global WW2 setting, at all. If I want to do that, then I load HoI, thanks its been done...it is not gonna make this company stand out any more.

I suggested ideas of what could be done with their game engine with localised campaigns around WW2. If they need to make money, then why not do something different, but still keep a WW2 setting whilst using their uniqueness with their game engine? I do not care what other people have said about what *they* want in a wargame, or what the market at the moment dictates them into making - Ageod, with RoP, RuS, stand out from any crowd in producing and designing games that are different - no other company would dare develop a wargame that covers the Russian Civil War with all the debates that brings? Would they? That is the definition of being unique, different, brave, and a stick up to the big companies that want to make a massive profit from a game that will sell loads because it contains germans vs allies.

I aint interested. At all.

Franciscus

Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:30 am

Kev_uk wrote:Oh no, please no. We have HoI and I think Matrix did something similar before. If they do go WW2, how about something more localised, like the North African Campaign, right through to Tunisia? That would be interesting, or France 1940?

I must say that now I agree. Although a NCP2 done properly would be my preference, seeing how Ageod struggled and still struggles under the weight of PON, I wonder if that would not be suicidical. The same for a global WW2 game...
And yes, a localized WW2 game does make sense, specially North Africa. That I know of, there are no TBS games currently depicting this conflict. It would instantly attract lots of interest. And it's limited size and complexity might avoid not only the long years of PoN development and also might help in reducing the buggyness of the initial release (one of the factors that sincerely has been a serious handicap of past and current Ageod projects). How many people would buy, for instance, a buggy 30YW game ?

Regards

PhilThib

Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:40 am

Well, there are also more than one sides to this 'medal' ;)

Ageod / Paradox-France will start a new project after PON. This will be decided partly upon PON sales/success and partly upon discussions with the Paradox home team on what is the most interesting potential for us and for players...

Now we also have the possiblity to support serious teams that want to start a new project and make it into a game...

A good example of this is the RUS game (despite it's original defects and bugs, like every Ageod game at start)...this was made by a team of independant volunteers with our engine and our advice...it took them time, but they made it... whatever people may think, it is really a good game and it was worth the effort....

So why not other subjects... :cool:

Stwa
Colonel

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:28 am

OK, I will play... :neener:

Give me the BoA engine (1.12a) and Anything Rennaisance will be a field day for the Artist.

ashandresash
Captain

Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:29 am

PhilThib wrote:Ageod / Paradox-France will start a new project after PON.

Now we also have the possiblity to support serious teams that want to start a new project and make it into a game...

These are good news :thumbsup:

In the other hand, won't you be working on an expansion or new DLCs for PON? I assume it is what it's related to sales... I hope it so, as I think PON has great potential, I think you haven't developed all the features you've wanted because of deadlines... and I'd love to have the opportunity to see them working on my game.

wosung

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:45 am

Kev_uk wrote:Well, whatever Paradox France (ex-Ageod) decide upon releasing, if it carries over from AACW, NPC, WiA, RUS et al, i.e their tactical battle resolutions, their research of history, their good AI's, then fine. I am not really interested in yet another global WW2 setting, at all. If I want to do that, then I load HoI, thanks its been done...it is not gonna make this company stand out any more.

I suggested ideas of what could be done with their game engine with localised campaigns around WW2. If they need to make money, then why not do something different, but still keep a WW2 setting whilst using their uniqueness with their game engine? I do not care what other people have said about what *they* want in a wargame, or what the market at the moment dictates them into making - Ageod, with RoP, RuS, stand out from any crowd in producing and designing games that are different - no other company would dare develop a wargame that covers the Russian Civil War with all the debates that brings? Would they? That is the definition of being unique, different, brave, and a stick up to the big companies that want to make a massive profit from a game that will sell loads because it contains germans vs allies.

I aint interested. At all.

Well, the best course of action for the AGE engine indeed would be serious volunteer teams doing regional or localized conflicts (there are already lots of good proposals here in this thread) with the help of Ageod’s core team.

Plus the core team itself should have a main project, they are happy doing so, which generates money, and maybe extends the possibilities of the AGE engine. What ever this project will be.

As for “oh please not WW2 global again”, I repeat it: There is no serious TBS GLOBAL WW2 game out there. If you are perfectly happy having HOI as global WW2 game, well, that is fine for you. But perhaps not everybody else is saturated by HOI?

I think WW2 global could be so much more than HOI. And following those HOI forums over there at Paradox, full of happy anticipation with each development diary, full of complaints after the releases, I’ll bet I’m not the only one. Just reading the HOI forums tells me that customerwise there is potential for a good turn-based WW2 Global game.

Surely HOI is one of the most sold Paradox titles. But it also features a lot of ridiculous design decions, foremost being RT global strategy, thus making it virtually unplayable as UK or USA. But hey, to make this up you can play HOI out with countries like Tibet. If you really are happy with this, well then all the power to you.

There are already more Napoleonic or WW2 operational games, including North Africa, and France 1940 – and in fact including every possible WW2 land operation aside from those in continental (South) East Asia - out there than WW2 Global War.

As for WW2 Western and Med theatre you also have:

-Battlefield Academy Blitzkrieg France!
-Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris.
(They probably will do WW2 North Africa games in the future, also Gary Grigsby with his War in the East engine.)
-Anglo-German War (includes North Africa)
-HPS Panzer Campaigns - TOBRUK '41, SICILY '41, EL AlAMEIN '42, SALERNO '43,
HPS - Total War In Europe - FIRST BLITZKRIEG, SOUTHERN FRONT.

There is a fair ammount of North Africa operational board games out there, so it is doable. But as localized conflict wouldn’t this be rather a typical Phils-assisted-volunteer-project? And good luck with those typical North African Theatre typical design problems, potentially resulting an a rather unsatisfiying game, like, how should the Med be included? What about Greece, Italy? What about reinforcements?

Regards

PhilThib

Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:54 am

ashandresash wrote:These are good news :thumbsup:

In the other hand, won't you be working on an expansion or new DLCs for PON? I assume it is what it's related to sales... I hope it so, as I think PON has great potential, I think you haven't developed all the features you've wanted because of deadlines... and I'd love to have the opportunity to see them working on my game.

We are indeed right now working on PON's DLCs....and other things ;)

Durk

Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:12 am

Phil and team.
The genius of your games is the command with movement.

In my view, the 30 Years War is the next project. If not, then the English Civil War.
Much more modern, leadership not so important. And movement is dictated by the opponent.

Narwhal

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:25 am

PhilThib wrote:

Truth be told, I started having a look at the Turkish Civil War in details to see if it was possible to be done with the AGE system :)

But I wanted to train a little in creating scenarios before, so I was also looking at the history of the Natchez Wars to code them for WiA :)

Kev_uk
Colonel

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:03 am

Durk wrote:Phil and team.
The genius of your games is the command with movement.

In my view, the 30 Years War is the next project. If not, then the English Civil War.
Much more modern, leadership not so important. And movement is dictated by the opponent.

Now the English Civil War would be very interesting indeed. That is such untrodden gaming territory....

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Narwhal wrote:Truth be told, I started having a look at the Turkish Civil War in details to see if it was possible to be done with the AGE system :)

Truth is always welcome though there is saying that anyone who tells the truth is not welcome to any village ! :)

Unsurprisingly I think TCW should/can be represented in the AGE engine pretty well. :thumbsup:
The main reason is, it has extreme revolutionary effects to the society just as in the RCW. There are some foreign intervention and the leadership of M.Kemal just like Lenin to motivate/convince peasants or groups to unite against Sultan* and the west.

*There is a debate actually if Sultan helped the revolutionary secular movement?

I think it is one of the interesting periods of revolutionary history that needs an Ageod game. But I agree from previous posts that it should/can be done by another team besides the main project of Paradox France after it has sufficient profit. In that way we will see more games of the obscure periods. ;)

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:04 am

PhilThib wrote:We are indeed right now working on PON's DLCs....and other things ;)

Well, we don't want you to go bankrupt as you mentioned in another place. :) We want you to keep making games with the engine and also be there for other projects like RUS.

Return to “General discussions”