Aphrodite Mae

The "International" diplomatic medals!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:22 pm

I already know that you're smart, and you already know that I'm prescient, so the two of them kinda collide with the thought, "...but what about those International medals?"

I'll be glad to explain, but first, I'd better warn you: you're going to have to do more of that "multiple thought" stuff, OK? OK!

First thought: "Host" of PBEM games, like with the "Drill Master" medals.
Second thought: "...English and French or German or Spanish..."
Third thought: as-yet-unexplained-"International Ambassador"-medal.

My Queenly Prescience tells me that I won't need to shout, this time.
Or indeed, say anything at all.

Here's the medal! :)

Now: as for the "International Liaison" medal. This medal is all about those languages that don't have an Ambassador. If you're able to fluently read English, French, German, or Spanish and another language that isn't one of those (say, for example, "Chinese")... well! Congratulations! You're eligible to wear the medal, just as soon as you've informed me. By wearing the medal, you agree to be ready to help anyone who asks for your language services.

Here's the medal.

Sorry, Spharv2: "Southern" does not count as an "international language".
Attachments
International Liaison.png
International Liaison.png (838 Bytes) Viewed 6096 times
International Ambassador.png
International Ambassador.png (1.09 KiB) Viewed 6102 times

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:57 am

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Sorry, Spharv2: "Southern" does not count as an "international language".

You sure Havely, I am from the South and have a hard time understanding some folks from around here. I was once in Mississippi, and had to have a guy translate for me. The guy that had to be translated, was born in Mississippi. :bonk:
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

- General Albert Sidney Johnston[/size][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

Spharv2

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:32 am

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Sorry, Spharv2: "Southern" does not count as an "international language".

Well now, that depends on who wins doesn't it? :D
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:47 am

What about that old marketing slogan that went "Texas...It's Like a Whole Other Country!"

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:35 pm

May I humbly point out that in this excellent medal design the colors for the German flag are inverted? The flag's properly black, red, and gold (yellow). :innocent:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Aphrodite Mae

Correction

Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:34 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:Image

May I humbly point out that in this excellent medal design the colors for the German flag are inverted? The flag's properly black, red, and gold (yellow). :innocent:

Let's set things right, shall we?

Here's the revised German Ambassador medal!

...And here's the revised German Liaison medal!

My apologies to his excellency, the German Ambassador, and all German Liaisons!

...And thanks, Heldenkaiser! I appreciate you pointing out my error, in a very diplomatic way! :D

[SIZE="1"]...Now, could somebody kinda check to make sure that I got the Spanish one right, too?[/size]
Attachments
German Liaison.png
German Liaison.png (635 Bytes) Viewed 6219 times
German Ambassador.PNG
German Ambassador.PNG (941 Bytes) Viewed 6220 times

dooya

Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:04 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Let's set things right, shall we?

Here's the revised German Ambassador medal!

...And here's the revised German Liaison medal!

My apologies to his excellency, the German Ambassador, and all German Liaisons!

...And thanks, Heldenkaiser! I appreciate you pointing out my error, in a very diplomatic way! :D

[SIZE="1"]...Now, could somebody kinda check to make sure that I got the Spanish one right, too?[/size]

Please choose the answer you want to hear:

(1) No need to apologize. I was lying on my right side when I saw the medals, thus everything was perfectly right. :thumbsup:

(1) No need to apologize. When I saw the medals, my display was flipped by 90° because I was playing WW1 just the moment before... :thumbsup:

:niark:
No quote - No bullshit!

Aphrodite Mae

To his Excellency, the German Ambassador

Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:29 pm

dooya wrote:Please choose the answer you want to hear:

(1) No need to apologize. I was lying on my right sight when I saw the medals, thus everything was perfectly right. :thumbsup:

(1) No need to apologize. When I saw the medals, my display was flipped by 90° because I was playing WW1 just the moment before... :thumbsup:

Thank you, your Excellency! I have three observations to make.

1) As usual, you're quite a gentleman. Thank you for your diplomatic response!

2) I'll choose number one, while noting that you, too, appear to have been certified by the "Jarkko School of Enumeration"!

With highest regards,
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"]Aphrodite Mae[/size][/font]

Aphrodite Mae

Unofficial "Southern Liaison" medal!

Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:44 pm

Doomwalker wrote:You sure Havely, I am from the South and have a hard time understanding some folks from around here. I was once in Mississippi, and had to have a guy translate for me. The guy that had to be translated, was born in Mississippi. :bonk:

OK, you've convinced me! ;)

GoldSpear wrote:caution: Fellas, southern women use words to the effect of larrapin' molasses. You'll all be talking about the latest fashions soon. :blink:

Le Ricain wrote:[color="DarkRed"]I am afraid that I have no idea what 'larrapin' molasses means.[/color] However, Southern women do have a way with speaking that can be attractive. As the old saying goes, 'When a fine Southern woman tells you to go to hell, she does it in such a way that you find yourself looking forward to the trip'.

Given that it's sometimes difficult if not impossible to understand a Southerner if you're not native to the South, I'm creating an "unofficial" Southern Liaison medal! :D

To be awarded the "Southern Liaison" medal, you must be fluent in "Southern", and willing to translate from Southern to English, if anyone should ask you to.

Sorry, guys... this one isn't going to make it into the official Field Guide, when it's published. Even so, wear the medal if you're qualified! ;)

Oh... one more thing. While I'm officially certified as a genuine Southern Belle, I'm afraid that I have no idea what " 'larrapin' molasses" are, either.
...But I'm guessing that they're sweet, and wholesome! :)
[SIZE="1"]Just thought you'd like to know.[/size]
Attachments
Southern Liaison.PNG
Southern Liaison.PNG (692 Bytes) Viewed 6220 times
Aphrodite Mae

Spharv2

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:32 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Oh... one more thing. While I'm officially certified as a genuine Southern Belle, I'm afraid that I have no idea what " 'larrapin' molasses" are, either.
...But I'm guessing that they're sweet, and wholesome! :)

Tsk tsk Queen. Larrapin is a descriptive term meaning excellent, or tasty. Just imagine someone slurping up the remains of a good stack of griddlecakes with really fine molasses on top...it's a fine descriptive term I think. :)
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aphrodite Mae

Yet ANOTHER medal which doesn't exist!

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:13 pm

Let's talk about that 2 month "Good Conduct" medal that surprised everyone.

It doesn't exist. Really! There's no mystery here, no "secret missions", none of that stuff. The fact is, Dixicrat made that wonderful post with all the medals the other day as a surprise for me. I didn't know that he was doing it... and he didn't know that I'd discarded the idea of the 2 month GCM.

The reason that I made the medal in the first place was because some people had earned a Bronze Oak Leaf for the GCM... but weren't eligible for the first Good Conduct Medal, yet! So, my first idea was to create the "2 month" Good Conduct medal. Even so, I quickly changed my mind.

The reason why was because I decided that it was at least possible that somebody might win a Bronze Oak Leaf for the GCM within their first few weeks of "enlisting" onto the forums! So, I decided that I would create a basic "Good Conduct Medal" that didn't have any time requirement. That way, I can stick with the original idea of GCMs being awarded every four months and still give people a ribbon to pin their Oak Leaves onto.

So, here's the way it is:

The basic Good Conduct Medal is awarded to those persons who have been awarded one or more Oak Leaves for the medal, but have not yet qualified for the "Good Conduct Medal - 4 months".

So: one more mystery, solved. ;)

Here's what the medal looks like, with its prerequisite leaf! :)

It's a handsome little thing, don't you think so?

And for those people who have earned a frosted leaf, I have to say that I'm sorry, but it's not quite ready yet. (We can't get the "frosting" to look right, quite yet.) So, hopefully, this one will be OK to wear until the frosted one is ready, OK? ...OK! :)
Attachments
Good Conduct w Bronze.PNG
Good Conduct w Bronze.PNG (1.26 KiB) Viewed 6197 times

Jim-NC

Fri May 01, 2009 3:14 am

Many thanks your majesty. I shall wear my leaf with pride. :coeurs: And only 1 more month plus 1 day until I have earn the 4 month medal.

PS I shall endeavor to await patiently for the frosting. :thumbsup:
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aphrodite Mae

The award of a Service Medal!

Sat May 02, 2009 12:46 am

Have you ever heard someone say, "there's no such thing as a stupid question"? Well, I'm here to tell you that whoever said that is misinformed. I know, because I've asked more than my share of "stupid questions".

For example, there was the time many years ago when I realized that my elegant little wrist watch had stopped, and so I asked a sales clerk of the store I was in what time it was. She turned to look at the wall full of clocks right beside me, and told me. There were dozens of them, but somehow I hadn't noticed. Even though they covered the wall. And so right about the time that she started giggling, I decided it was time to leave the store.

Stupid questions do exist.

On the other hand, everybody knows that there are really smart questions. The kind of questions that get straight to the point, and make you consider things that you might have missed, otherwise. The kind that make you say, "hey! ...That's a really good question!" or even maybe, "Huh... why didn't I think of asking that?"

Well, on these forums, I've noticed somebody who asks questions like that! Questions that make me really interested in finding out what the answer is, so that I subscribe to threads that I never would have considered subscribing to, otherwise. I think he deserves a medal! :)

I award the "Service Medal" to Heldenkaiser, for having asked the right question at the right time, many many times.
:)

His questions tend to be straightforward, succinct, timely, and even thought provoking, sometimes. Congratulations, Heldenkaiser! Your questions have led to me learning a lot that I probably would have missed out on, otherwise. I'm sure that's true for more than a few other people, too!

Heldenkaiser has also distinguished himself lately by starting an excellent, thought provoking thread that's all about what the meaning of "historical" is, in strategic games like AACW. His original post is well written, and presents two sides of the question quite well, I think. There's even a poll you can vote in!

So, I'm thinking that this thread deserves a Service medal, for the "bright idea" of the poll and the discussion.

I award the "Bronze Oak Leaf" as the second citation of Heldenkaiser's Service Medal, for his timely thread on the topic of what it means to have historical accuracy in strategic games.

Congratulations, sir! :)

Here's the link to his thread:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14117

Don't be shy, Gentlemen! Step right up, and make nominations for other people who you know deserve recognition! :)
Attachments
Service Medal w Bronze.PNG
Service Medal w Bronze.PNG (1.6 KiB) Viewed 6182 times

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 04, 2009 1:03 pm

I surrender. ;)
I'm truly honored and I'll wear the ribbon with pride. :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)

[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]

American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Jim-NC

In honor of Her Majesty

Tue May 05, 2009 2:14 am

[SIZE="1"]Imagine a small man bellowing at the top of his lungs[/size]:

[SIZE="6"]HEAR YE! HEAR YE! GENTLEMEN OF THE FORUM, YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE. IN HONOR OF THE GREAT SERVICE RENDERED TO US BY HER SPECIAL MAJESTY. AND BY VIRTUE OF MY HAVING THOUGHT OF IT FIRST, I DO HEREBY PRESENT FOR YOUR RATIFICATION AN ESPECIAL MEDAL DESIGNED FOR OUR GRACIOUS QUEEN APHRODITE MAE. [/size]

[SIZE="3"]I ask for a second in the awarding of this prestigious medal.[/size]

[ATTACH]7597[/ATTACH]

[SIZE="1"]Disclaimer: I did not design, nor did I draw said medal (that honor goes to the incomparable Doomwalker.) [/size]

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Attachments
queen's medal.JPG
queen's medal.JPG (3.35 KiB) Viewed 6105 times

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MarkShot

Tue May 05, 2009 2:24 am

Jim,

I'll second that. And I will go one step further, I shall grant A-M the title of "Our Gracious Queen". It has a nice ring to it.

Thanks for the great idea, Jim!

MarkShot

Tue May 05, 2009 2:45 am

Okay, I finally get her title and rank in place.

I suppose if someone would make the small crown insignia, we could get that in front of "Our Gracious Queen". We'll need someone with some graphics skill and this sounds like a Rafiki job as I was pushing the limits of my knowledge to get the other stuff done.

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Tue May 05, 2009 7:21 am

MarkShot wrote:Okay, I finally get her title and rank in place.

I suppose if someone would make the small crown insignia, we could get that in front of "Our Gracious Queen". We'll need someone with some graphics skill and this sounds like a Rafiki job as I was pushing the limits of my knowledge to get the other stuff done.

Markshot, are you talking something like this? Image This is the crown I used in the medal above.
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Tue May 05, 2009 7:49 am

I second the Queen on her Birthday :thumbsup:
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty
-Massachusetts state motto-

"The army is the true nobility of our country."
-Napoleon III-

Aphrodite Mae

Omg!

Tue May 05, 2009 4:29 pm

For the first time in my adult life, I'm speechless. :wacko:

I've never, ever used that little emoticon, before today. But you know what?
It's really appropriate right now, because that's the way I feel.

Kinda goofy. :wacko:

But I can't seem to find a smiley for "overwhelmed".

Gentlemen...
...beloved Knights of the OAK...
...treasured friends.

I sure am glad that you can't see me, right now! I'm definitely not very regal, right now. Nothing at all, like a Queen.

Unless Queens collapse into little trembling heaps in their chairs, and cry like little girls when they're overwhelmed with happiness and emotion! But I've never heard of one doing that, and I don't think they do that kind of stuff.

I hereby rescind my ability to award medals, for the rest of the day.

Sorry. I had to do that. Otherwise, I'm afraid that I'd kinda wig out, and give all of you medals. Stuff like, "Sweetness, 1st Class." "Medal of Distinguished Gentlemanliness, with Bronze Oak Leaves." "Order of the Smoochable Sweetie". That kind of stuff. :)

Really. All of this is just too much! The beautiful medal, and the emeralds of reputation, and the special title, and the birthday thread, and... and...

Well, I'm just overwhelmed.
But I'm kinda relieved to find that I'm not speechless, after all.
[SIZE="1"]I guess that's kinda obvious, huh.[/size]

I'd like to thank my wonderful husband, for being all that he is for our family, and me: caretaker, provider, best friend, and so much more. Without him, my friends, I would never have had the chance to meet and mingle with all of you wonderful gentlemen.

I'd also like to thank AGEod for providing these wonderful forums! I also want to thank AGEod's staff for my recent "boons". :D I'll continue to do my best to give back as much as I receive, here. Naturally, that's an impossible task... but I'll try! :)

Next, I'd like to thank Doomwalker for the beautiful medal. It's lovely... and in my favorite colors, too! :love: I'll wear it proudly, you can be assured of that! And thank you, Jim-NC, for your announcement! ([SIZE="1"]'cept next time, speak up a little, OK? I'm not sure that 48 pt font was quite loud enough to attract attention... [/size] :mdr :)

Wow, it's taking me about ten times as long as it usually does to write a post. That's because I have to keep stopping to dry my eyes, 'cause I can't see the screen. Just when I think I'm over the weepy stuff, then I start in again. Gentlemen, I'm fighting a losing battle, here. :D

I have some good news! Nine years ago today, I gave birth to my second daughter! (I started to add, "she's nine, today!" ...guess that shows my mental state right now, huh. :mdr :) So: that was my best "birthday", ever.

Nothing can top that. But you know what? This is undoubtedly the second best birthday I've ever had! I truly mean that, from the depths of my heart.

Thanks, friends! :thumbsup: :coeurs:

When I started this thread, I said that I wanted this to be about you, and not about me. My ruthless seizure of Queeniness was only so I would have a high enough station to honor you, with my little awards.

I never would have dreamed that I'd end up with an official title, irreproachable reputation, a beautiful medal, and small men bellowing at the top of their lungs about me!

Thank you. Thank you all. :fleurs:
I meant it before when I said that you make me feel like a Queen.
And more than the honors and medals, it's the way that you treat me that makes me feel that way...

...and I'm kinda starting to get tired of bursting into tears every other sentence, so if you'll excuse me, I think I'll end this here. :love: :coeurs: :thumbsup:

Havely

PS [SIZE="1"]Sorry Jim, I didn't notice. Was the small bellowing guy wearing those cool medieval pointy-toed shoes...?[/size]

DarthMath
Colonel

Tue May 05, 2009 4:40 pm

No need to :crying: Your Highness, all of this is really really well deserved.
And, by the way, Happy Birthday to your daughter too !!
:p ompom: :p ompom: :p ompom: :p arty: :clown:
"You know, in this world, there's two kind of people, my friend. Those who have a loaded gun, and those who dig in. You dig in ..." :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Generalisimo

Tue May 05, 2009 5:02 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Thank you. Thank you all. :fleurs:
I meant it before when I said that you make me feel like a Queen.
And more than the honors and medals, it's the way that you treat me that makes me feel that way...

Well, you really deserve it... so, now have a wonderfull day, you have earned it! :coeurs: :D

And I supose I will be the only one to say this today :neener: ... but we have to thanks Dixicrat for "sharing" her and introducing her to this community. :thumbsup:

Cheers for both of you!!! :p ompom: :p ompom: :p ompom:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

MarkShot

Tue May 05, 2009 5:14 pm

Gee ... this is better than watching the Oscars! :)

MarkShot

Tue May 05, 2009 5:17 pm

Doomwalker,

Let me get in touch with Rafiki. He is the one with the forum skills. By the way, does a queen have a crown or tierra?

Sorry, I am American and all we have are Presidents and First Ladies. In elementary school they never teaches us how to deal with royalty. I am also from the North East. So, my education didn't include proper ettiquete for dealing with Southern belles either!

Jim-NC

Tue May 05, 2009 5:27 pm

But of course not your majesty. The little man is dressed in his best 1860's replica costume (this is the AACW) :mdr: :mdr:

As for the projecting ability, it comes naturally. :D (some crude types would call it bellowing, but I know it is projecting my voice). :mdr: It is very useful to cut through the battle field noise to give directions to my troops. Especially the kiddy types (they always seem to have a problem hearing mom - never dad though) :mdr: :mdr:

My volume has been known to scare the neighbors on occasion, and is sometimes a hazard for small aircraft. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Version 2.0 of Queen's Medal

Tue May 05, 2009 6:04 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Next, I'd like to thank Doomwalker for the beautiful medal. It's lovely... and in my favorite colors, too! :love: I'll wear it proudly, you can be assured of that! And thank you, Jim-NC, for your announcement! ([SIZE="1"]'cept next time, speak up a little, OK? I'm not sure that 48 pt font was quite loud enough to attract attention... [/size] :mdr :)

Dear Queen you are more than welcome. :D BTW, I have attached v2.0 for you here. This one is a little more regal. Which should fit our Queen more closely.

The main changes are a richer purple background, as well as real jewels on the crown. Unfortunately you cannot see that well at this size. :(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Small crown v2.0

Tue May 05, 2009 6:07 pm

MarkShot wrote:Doomwalker,

Let me get in touch with Rafiki. He is the one with the forum skills. By the way, does a queen have a crown or tierra?

Sorry, I am American and all we have are Presidents and First Ladies. In elementary school they never teaches us how to deal with royalty. I am also from the North East. So, my education didn't include proper ettiquete for dealing with Southern belles either!

Markshot, sounds great.

I am American also. But when I made my choice, I was thinking a Queen would have the crown and a Princess the tiara. ;)

Also, here is the crown reworked.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dixicrat
General

Tue May 05, 2009 7:53 pm

Generalisimo wrote:... And I suppose I will be the only one to say this today :neener: ... but we have to thanks Dixicrat for "sharing" her and introducing her to this community. :thumbsup:

Cheers for both of you!!! :p ompom: :p ompom: :p ompom:

Thanks, Generalisimo! I appreciate the nod, but the truth is this: it is you and the other men of this forum who've convinced her to stay and participate.

Late last summer, Havely bought AACW at "Best Buy" because she knew that I'd been looking for a "good" ACW game. I decided that I'd check online to see if there were any updates for the game.

At that time, we hadn't spent much time online. The reason why was pretty simple: every discussion forum that we'd checked into was filled with idiots, vulgar simpletons, or worse. So, I didn't have any plans to participate in these forums, since I expected it to be no different than what we'd already seen.

Frankly, I was surprised by what I found here. Civil discourse, quiet camraderie, helpful information, and even a touch of humor! Havely noticed that I was spending more and more time browsing this site, and being the perceptive person that she is, asked me why. "Why" led to "let me see", and it wasn't long before she wanted me to "test the waters" for her.

She'd come up with this preposterous idea of Civil War "Assault Balloons", and so she asked me to post something about these formidible weapons of antebellum warfare, to see if her humor would "fit", on the forum.

It wasn't long after that Chaplin Lovejoy started his "Top ten signs you might be playing too much AACW..." thread. Havely made me (literally) ROFL, with her contribution that

"...you name your firstborn 'Jefferson Davis'... and know that someday, she'll thank you."

So, it was the response that the forum gave to that, and other posts of her humor under my name that convinced her register, in the first place. :)

The point of all of this is simply this: if you're happy that my wife is here, you have only yourself to thank. You've made her feel cherished and special, even though she isn't an avid gamer! This site is a rare and special place, and it's only appropriate that such exceptional gentlemen as you should be graced by the presence of a brilliant, charming, gracious and wittily wonderful woman, like Havely.

[CENTER]Long Live the Queen!
:thumbsup:
[/CENTER]

dooya

Tue May 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Dixicrat wrote:[...] every discussion forum that we'd checked into was filled with idiots, vulgar simpletons, or worse. [...]
Did someone just call me? :confused: :wacko:

No quote - No bullshit!

MarkShot

Tue May 05, 2009 8:16 pm

Well, it looks like Rafiki has been along and given Our Gracious Queen her crown.

Return to “General discussions”