Dixicrat
General

Field guide to Mae's Medals!

Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:40 pm

Doomwalker wrote:Dixicrat were is our latest and greatest picture of the medal precedence? I see a bunch of new medals, that I don't know where they go in the arrangement. :confused:

Here is the complete precedence chart. Read from left to right, and top to bottom. A couple of notes:
German and Spanish Ambassador medals have an equal dignity;
All of the Liaison medals (which haven't been discussed yet) have equal dignity;
And all of the other medals which haven't been discussed yet, will be, soon. :)

[CENTER]Image
[LEFT]
Rather overwhelming, no? I didn't realize that she'd made quite so many medals!

I'll be publishing the actual "Field Guide" in PDF format, sometime next week. (At least, that's the plan.) The PDF field guide will include a lot more information on the medals that AM has designed: how to qualify for them, her thoughts about each medal, and more.

Here's a chart that lists some info you might find helpful.
"Series" is the name of the series of medals of a similar nature. Only one medal from a series may be worn, at one time.
"Oak Leaves" indicates whether you can receive upgrades to the medal.

[LEFT]Image

[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]
[SIZE="3"]Regards,[/size]
Dixicrat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basic Training for AACW newcomers

Rafiki

Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:05 pm

:thumbsup:
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Generalisimo

Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:23 pm

OH MY GOD! :w00t:

Very impressive work! ... both of you. :thumbsup:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Hohenlohe

Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:22 pm

AMAZING! IMPRESSIVE! Good work from both of you... :thumbsup: :coeurs:

greetings

Hohenlohe :coeurs: :D
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Clovis

Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:26 pm

Brilliant. The true spirit of this forum.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Jim-NC

Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:39 pm

I see there are still 2 unnamed medals (the mysterious mostly black ones). :thumbsup: Can't wait to see the PDF with all the info. Now I just have to earn a few of them :D

Dixiecrat/Aphrodite Mae, When did you add the 2 month good conduct medal? :confused: Originally the lowest good conduct was 4 months (I remember well, as I could not wear the medal and oak leaves I earned... but that is another tale).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bburns9
Sergeant

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:05 pm

I didn't notice the two month either. I'm anxiously awaiting the manual that will detail out the terms and conditions of these fine awards.

BB
Find out what Grant drinks and send a barrel of it to each of my other generals! - A. Lincoln

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:34 pm

Great work guys. Thank you Dixicrat, I imagine you had already had something like this planed before I even asked. As it looks like that chart may have taken you some time to do. :thumbsup:
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

- General Albert Sidney Johnston[/size][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

Aphrodite Mae

The DRILL MASTER series

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:37 pm

If you've played PBEM, then you know that sometimes, unexpected things happen. You send the wrong file, or something weird happens in the game. If you don't have a host, then this kind of stuff can mess up your game, big time! That's why I think that it's a really good idea to have a host, when you play PBEM.

This series of medals is all about rewarding people who are willing to host our games! It is a Technical series, like the AAR and Warrant series are. That's because some technical skills are involved, for higher medals in the series. Just like the other Technical series, there are five awards in the series. And just like the other Technical series, you are the judge of when you deserve the first four medals, but the fifth and highest level must be awarded by your peers.

"But wait a minute!" you may be thinking. "I only see three of the Drill medals!" That's because the 4th level in the series is awarded the "Cadre" medal. The 5th and highest level is awarded the "Distinguished Service Medal".

There are good reasons for this: the two highest levels are really hard to earn, and the requirements "fit" with the existing medals. I think you'll agree, when we get to them. But to get to them, we need to get started, right? So, let's do that! :)

Aphrodite Mae

The RECRUITER medal!

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:48 pm

The entry level medal is the "Recruiter" medal.

To be awarded this medal, you must be willing to host a PBEM game.

It's as simple as that. But you know what? It gets even better! When you host a game that finishes the way its supposed to, you can add a bronze Oak leaf to your medal!

Every time that you successfully host a PBEM game, you get to add another Oak Leaf!

But what if you end up hosting dozens of games? Don't worry: I've come up with a way to show any (plausible) number of Oak Leaves, with a single pin! I'm not kidding. I'll explain it in the Field Manual, OK? ;)

More good news: you get to transfer your Oak Leaves, when you upgrade your medal to the next level!
YAAAAY! :p ompom:

To facilitate hosting games and that kind of stuff, I'm starting a thread in the AAR section called "volunteer hosts". Here's a link, if you want to volunteer to help other people play hassle-free games!
[color="RoyalBlue"]
Volunteer Hosts[/color]

What's to lose? You'll make new friends, learn more about the game, provide a helpful service and win a medal, in the process!

Here's what the medal looks like! :)

Now, I'd like to talk about the symbolism of the "Recruiter" medal.

The thing about real world Recruiters is that they all look impressive in their uniforms because they always have lots of medals! But by the time that you come back from your basic training, you're able to "read" your recruiter's uniform a little better, and you realize that he's not quite the impressive hero that you thought he was. But by then, it's too late. :D

As a nod to recruiters and as an incentive to encourage you to "enlist" as a host, I've made the "Recruiter" medal look a little bit more impressive than it really is. Look! It has silver braid! :w00t: (But silver braid hasn't been used on any other medal... huh. :tournepas ) And the way that the black stripe is centered in the middle of the medal, it certainly looks important! But, no: the single stripe only means that it's the first medal in the series, kinda like the "combat command" series starts out with a single stripe on the first medal. So: the "Recruiter" medal looks a little more important than it really is.

Even so, the medal definitely deserves respect, and that's why its dignity is so high. Black is the color of the elite, and so the stripe of black symbolizes that the person who wears this medal is a part of a select group of volunteers. The blue which flanks this stripe is for your valor in volunteering for such an important but all-too-rare service, to our community! :)

The medal's base color is "PBEM yellow", overlaid with a broad band of "Service Gray" in the middle. I'm kinda hoping that the symbolism of that stuff is obvious. ;)
Attachments
Drill Recruiter.png
Drill Recruiter.png (943 Bytes) Viewed 5714 times

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:38 pm

I m absolutely amazed with all this impressive medals !!!!

And yes... if any one of you are in search of an imposible to beat commander yeah -> check Manstein! ... :turc:

Im still not been beaten just by my delay in doing turns lol. :wacko:

Aphrodite Mae

Codes, Ciphers, and Cryptography in AACW

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:34 pm

Cryptography and Ciphers have been an important part of warfare since antiquity. They were certainly important in the American Civil War... so if we're simulating that war, why leave out codes and ciphers?

If someone (like me, for example) was to use a code in this thread just for fun, then she'd probably make it easy to break. Like, by not encrypting any words, or jumbling up the letters, or anything like that. Just a simple "plain text" code, for clever and curious people to figure out.

I'm thinking that she'd probably call it the "N" code, for reasons that might make you grin when you finally figured out what the "secret message" said.

All of this is purely hypothetical, of course. [SIZE="1"]

Maybe.[/size]

Aphrodite Mae

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:37 pm

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

REBELCAT
Colonel

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:39 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

my english is very poor :love:

DarthMath
Colonel

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:22 pm

Finally, we get the explanation about the famous secret medal !! :thumbsup:
But is it possible to have more informations on the secret betas stuff ?
That looks so mysterious and dangerous .... :cool: :evilgrin:

Anyway, I hope the U.S. secret service uses some other codes, otherwise
that could explain a lot of things in History .... :siffle:
"You know, in this world, there's two kind of people, my friend. Those who have a loaded gun, and those who dig in. You dig in ..." :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tc237
Colonel

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:14 am

Yup, figured it out too.
If anyone wants some more info on ACW codes and ciphers, internet search for the Union Route Cipher, very cool stuff.
Google books:
The Military Telegraph During the Civil War in the United States By William Rattle Plum (chapter 2)

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:08 am

Aphrodite Mae wrote:.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Figured it out, but my head is hurting now. LOL :cool:
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

Aphrodite Mae

The "Militia Trainer" medal!

Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:38 pm

Have you hosted four PBEM games? If you have, you may be eligible for the "Militia Trainer" Drill medal! I say "may", because there are a few other little things you have to do, too.

Like, be eligible to wear the "NCO Service Medal". And you have to be wearing a medal from both the "Combat Command" series (the series that rewards you for playing PBEM, yourself), and the "AAR" series.

[SIZE="1"]...Stand back a little bit, OK? To make all that stuff official, I'm going to have to shout it, like I always do when I say official stuff.[/size] [1]

To be awarded the "Militia Trainer" medal, you must have hosted four PBEM games, and be eligible to wear the following medals: "NCO Service", any "Combat Command", and any "AAR" medal.

Here's the medal! :)

OK, let's change the subject and talk about symbolism, OK?

The medal is pretty much identical to the "Recruiter" medal, except that the middle stripe has disappeared, and now there are two valor-flanked black stripes with silver trim, on either flank. These pillars are identical to the ones on the "Service" medal, both in appearance and symbolic meaning. The only difference is that black represents both "elite" and "selfless service", on the Drill medal.

Aphrodite Mae wrote:The pillars on either side of the medal represent the two pillars of service in our community: service to the game, and service to the forums/community. On the service medals, blue represents dedication and perseverance, and silver represents "truth". In this case, the "truth" of this medal is that a job well done is its own reward. When you put all of this together, each pillar can be "read" as saying that dedicated selfless service is its own reward. :)

As for that big empty space in the middle... well. Remember: you've been able to transfer your Oak Leaves from your "Recruiter" medal, so you're going to have at least the bronze wreath there, which represents 4 PBEM games hosted. ;)

This is a prestigious medal, gentlemen! Notice that it's dignity places it between the Gallantry and Commendation awards! This is appropriate, because the service commitment that you've demonstrated to earn this medal shows your dedication to improving our gaming community. :)

OK! So I've told you about the series, and I've told you about the first two medals, and I've even started a thread that will maybe help you out in volunteering to host! There are three more medals in the series, but I'm thinking that I'm going to hold off on describing the rest until I see if there's any actual interest in the medal series, OK? I'm hoping so... I think that this is an important series for fostering PBEM play, and maybe more importantly, supporting future tournaments! :cool:

[1] All shouting is always done in a feminine, dignified, solemn, and majestic manner, OK?
Attachments
Militia Trainer.png
Militia Trainer.png (792 Bytes) Viewed 5667 times

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:51 pm

Mae, you know there is going to be interest. I myself am actually thinking of breaking down and doing some PBEM. Now, I have to find someone that will lead me in my first ever PBEM of any sort. LOL ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dixicrat
General

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:09 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:
...[1] All shouting is always done in a feminine, dignified, solemn, and majestic manner, OK?

About that last point, your majesty.

I'm not so sure about the "dignified" and "solemn" part, in regards to your shouting.

But as for the "feminine" part, and the "awe-inspiring" part, I can definitely agree!

Your humble servant,
Dixicrat

[CENTER]Long live the Queen!
:thumbsup:
[/CENTER]

Aphrodite Mae

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:20 pm

Dear humble servant,

You're just saying that because you're jealous that you have to salute me.

By the way: the "Royal Coach" needs the backseat cleaned out, and all of the bubblegum taken out of the ashtrays, and stuff like that.

...Move with a purpose, OK?

[CENTER]Long Live Me!
:thumbsup: [/CENTER]

MarkShot

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:37 pm

Wen Sui, wen sui, Mae Wang Ho!!!

Literally(Mandarin): "10,000 years(longevity), 10,000 years(longevity), Mae Queen" or simply "Long live Queen Mae!"

Remember those images of crazed masses waving their little red books and shouting after Mao?

I have images of AGEODers waving their medals as they glimpse the Queen. We definitely should erect a balcony and build great square of the people from which you may address your subjects. :) Of all the dynasties in gaming history, it is yours which has captured the spirit of gamers near and far. We had considered AGEOD mugs and T-shirts, but I think Q-A-M collectibles may be where the real lucrative market lies.

:)

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:41 pm

You two are hilarious. Your relationship sounds like mine and my wifes. Of course I cannot get her to play any of the games I like anymore. At least not since the Axis & Allies debacle. :(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:30 am

Doomwalker wrote:You two are hilarious. Your relationship sounds like mine and my wifes. Of course I cannot get her to play any of the games I like anymore. At least not since the Axis & Allies debacle. :(

Doomwalker, I completely agree, unfortunately my wife does not take as much of an interest in wargames as I do. :( :(

I'm lucky I can play 2 nights a week. :wacko:

Hope she never sees this post, or else :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:44 am

Jim-NC wrote:Doomwalker, I completely agree, unfortunately my wife does not take as much of an interest in wargames as I do. :( :(

I'm lucky I can play 2 nights a week. :wacko:

Hope she never sees this post, or else :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Mine doesn't care if I play. She, just will not join in the fun. At least that is what she says now. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aphrodite Mae

The French/German/Spanish LIAISON medals!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:44 pm

One of the many wonderful things about our AACW community is that it is international. Over a dozen nations are represented on these forums, by our gamers! It's pretty obvious that with so many different nations and cultures, many different languages are spoken. But sometimes, language can be a barrier to understanding each other.

It's a sad fact: language can sometimes be a barrier that keeps us from learning new things, or even understanding old things in a new way. If you can't read all of the forums, you're missing out on a lot!

That's why I think that its really wonderful that AGEod was thoughtful enough to provide German and Spanish Ambassadors. These two wonderful guys are there to help us, when we need to understand something, or want to send a message to someone on one of the non-English language forums. More than once, I've wanted to send a message to someone on one of those forums to congratulate them for something, or to maybe ask them a question about their avatar or something silly like that. Each time, one of our Ambassadors has helped me!

So, our Ambassadors are there to help us, when we want to communicate with each other but we don't share a common language. Even so, they're kinda busy providing their language skills to help with the development of new games, so I always think twice before asking for their translation help. Meanwhile, I'm always kinda wondering what I'm missing, on the forums where people speak a language that I don't.

There's an answer to all this, and its something that can benefit us all, in some really wonderful ways!

I'm thinking that many of you are fluent in two or more languages, right? OK, now hold that thought, while I ask you a question. How many times have you seen an extremely cool post that made you think, or laugh, or helped you to understand something that had always eluded you?

Now: put those two thoughts together, and add a dash of "implication".

OK, now think about this: Aphrodite wants you!

[font="Times New Roman"]We interrupt this post to bring you an important bulletin: Dixicrat has tried to veto that last sentence! He said that it's another "sleep loss" thing, for you guys. Once again, he refuses to explain. The Queen has grown tired of these mysterious pronouncements, so his veto is hereby vetoed.[/font]

Anyway, I'm looking for volunteers! People who are willing to committ themselves to being Liaisons for communication, and to share those posts which are made, which are simply too good to not share. I'll make you a deal: if you'll post the translations, I'll give you a medal!

Now, of course I'm not talking about combing through everything that's already been posted. That would be a monumental task, and probably take forever! What I'm talking about is "from now on". Just kinda keep your eyes open, and when something comes up, share it with us! That's the way to win one of these cool medals!

Guess what...?!
...It gets even better! :w00t:

Yep! Although I can't promise this, I'm pretty sure that you'll also acquire the respect and appreciation of the rest of us, for making the effort that it takes!

So: whether you want the prestige of a highly dignified medal, or the rank that comes from increasing your post count, or the "green thingies" of reputation, or even simply the warm glow of irrefutably knowing that you're cool... you will benefit, and so will our AGEod brotherhood!
[CENTER]
Image Image Image[/CENTER]

To be awarded a diplomatic Liaison medal, you must be fluent in English and French or German or Spanish. Furthermore, you must commit yourself to posting bilingual translations of exceptional posts that are found on either forum.

I will leave it to the judgment of the Liaison of how to do this: do you integrate the post into an existent thread with the same topic? Or, do you start a new thread called "The Embassy" or something cute like that?

I know one thing for sure: you guys are pretty smart, and so I'm sure that you'll do the right thing! ;)
Attachments
Spanish Liaison.png
Spanish Liaison.png (655 Bytes) Viewed 5977 times
German Liaison.png
German Liaison.png (656 Bytes) Viewed 5814 times
French Liaison.png
French Liaison.png (685 Bytes) Viewed 5638 times

DarthMath
Colonel

Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:[font="Times New Roman"]We interrupt this post to bring you an important bulletin: Dixicrat has tried to veto that last sentence! He said that it's another "sleep loss" thing, for you guys. Once again, he refuses to explain. The Queen has grown tired of these mysterious pronouncements, so his veto is hereby vetoed.[/font]

:mdr:
That reminds me the Monty Python and the Holy Grail movie :
"Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked, have been sacked"
Another great post, Your Majesty. And poor Dixicrat, never-listened man ...
such a pity ... ;)
"You know, in this world, there's two kind of people, my friend. Those who have a loaded gun, and those who dig in. You dig in ..." :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spharv2

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Where's the DamnYankee to Southern translator badge? :)
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hobbes

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:29 pm

可以我得到是的另一枚奖牌中国大使?

Cheers, Chris

Aphrodite Mae

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:14 pm

Hobbes wrote:可以我得到是的另一枚奖牌中国大使?

Cheers, Chris

如果您讲中文

Of course, you might want to check with Dooya, first.

Return to “General discussions”