Franciscus

Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:25 pm

TommH wrote:Retailers still hold the whip hand and they really hate download sales since they fear, correctly as it happens, that it has the potential to seriously hurt their business. One of the ways they try to limit this is to force the publishers to sell games at the same price for downloads as for in store boxes.

As a side note, sometimes boxed versions are even very much cheaper than digital download ones. That's the case of Ageod's games if you buy them via Amazon.co.uk instead of downloading them via this site :bonk: (but this has been discussed before, of course. And I have bought every Ageod game by digital download, mainly to support them:gardavou :)

>edit: BTW, that's also the case with Empire Total War (ie, you can get the box cheaper through Amazon than the digital download version through Steam. I did just that :D )

Gray_Lensman

Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:32 pm

deleted

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

What?

Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:50 pm

Athena is "dumb as a bag of hammers?" Man! Are you ever in trouble!!! t

gunnergoz
Corporal
Location: Sunny Sandy Ego, CA -- also known as San Diego or "America's Finest City" to the tourist i

Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:30 am

I just posted my final thread to say goodbye to the ETW forums. I downloaded the ETW demo and the required STEAM download and registration and was quite unhappy with the outcome. The game is exceptionally slow and the STEAM requirement is an onerous demand I can do without. I was looking forward to the game very much, since I've had a lot of fun with the other ETW titles (I almost never play the tactical side, only the strategic side and auto-resolve the battles). And I must say that the tactical side of ETW was gorgeous, especially the naval battles; the land battles were top notch for their beauty and realism too. But STEAM sucks. So I will not be buying ETW as long as STEAM is part of the package.

I am looking forward to Vainglory of Nations very, very much and am glad that AGEOD is not using STEAM or other such silly and intrusive schemes.

Generalisimo

Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Yesterday I bought this game and played only 10 turns. Obviously NOT the Special Units pack... :D

A summary of my little game is: "The AI is as dumb as ever in the Total War Series". :(
They promised the same as always: "The best diplomatic AI of the TW series"... but it is as bas as before.
Let me explain the situation...
I started the game as Spain, the pros:
-It is a "small" Empire
-I have colonies in America and my homeland in Europe is quite strong, so I can use 2 of the 3 game maps (not 3 out of 3 in the 1st game ;) ).
-I have allies (New Spain, France, Bavaria)
cons:
-difficult to defend all my regions, they are too separated from each other (Spain, Africa, Italy, America).
-I am way less powerfull than the naval powers like Portugal, Netherlands or UK.

So, I start my game decided to make my american colonies growth as much as I could. The main goal will be to spread the word of Jesus all around the world :p apy:
I didn't looked in detail when I started the game... but I was at war with the Berber nations (Africa) and most of the North American indians. Ok, no problem I said to myself... :thumbsup:
I send my Madrid Corps to Africa to take Algeria and send the Americas Corps north to fight the indians.
Everything is going as planned, and the indians and africans cannot do anything to stop the catholic crusade. :D

Then, on turn 4, out of nothing, Genoa declares war against me.
Ok, no problem, I have been recruiting troops in Milan, so I think that front is secure.. and I am right, they have no superior forces than mine, so, the AI sits on its cities waiting for me to attack :blink:
I decide that to try to avoid any other declaration of war from a catholic nation, I had to invest in diplomacy, so I start to improve my relations with all of them, including France, Italy, Knights, etc.

No problem in the front, I keep crushing the berbers in Africa and stopping the indian raids in North America... quite fun actually... :thumbsup:

Then, 2 turns later, the British colonies declare war against me... they do not share a border with me (actually, they are quite far away), they are not a strong military power and they have no navy... wait? what the hell are they doing? :blink: :bonk:

Ok, no problem... Will crush the berbers, then move my army north to conquer Genoa, and then I will move back to America to finish those ugly englishmen. :thumbsup:
I call back my American fleet and join it with the Mediterranean fleet... now I am far superior than the small Genoa's fleet... that is quickly in the bottom of the sea. :thumbsup:
OH YEAH! :thumbsup:

Everything is going as planned... then, 2 turns later... my "almost allied" and "very friendly" (according to the game :blink: ) Italian states declare war against me :blink:
Yes, we had military access and I was about to offer a commercial agreement... and now I am at war. :wacko:
This is quite problematic, because my garrison in Napoli is not as strong as I want it to be... I have focused myself on Milan to avoid any Genoa's raid, and it has been usefull, because Genoa is NOT doing anything... it just keep waiting for me to attack them. So, I quickly order the recruitment of more troops in Napoli.
The next turn... the Italian states decide that they do not have a strong military army to be able to take Napoli by force, so they stay out there (and they are right, they have a small advantage, but not enough to avoid a bloodbath)... and keep waiting... and waiting ... and waiting... :blink:

Two turns later, the Berbers nations are almost crushed, I have conquered Algeria, destroyed many rebels berber armies, captured Tunez and I am heading towards it last stronghold.
UK colonies are doing... nothing.
Genoa is doing... nothing.
Italian states are doing... nothing
All I have to fight are indian raids in North America... they are desperate to stop my American Army that is advancing towards their Capital.
Although I have a "+3 in diplomatic actions" Minister, none of these nations accept peace, no matter what... so I will have to "force" them into submission... great... I feel like I am playing Shogun again... :non:

I think that's enough... in just 10 turns, I have received 3 declarations of war from powers that actually WILL NOT attack me... because they can't (UK colonies) or because they do not want (Genoa and Italy) :bonk: ... who will be the next? make your bet! :w00t:

Then I quitted the game and went back into VGN work... :thumbsup: :coeurs:

I think I will wait for the next patch to give it a second chance :non: ... or maybe for a mod?
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

runyan99

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:31 pm

Yes online copy protection via Steam, even for people who own original DVDs, seems quite onerous.

TiFlo
Captain

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:34 pm

This AAR pretty much tells the same story as yours, Arsan. The guy is playing the British, and has control over most all of western Europe after only 15-20 turns. He conquered France in the few first turns, then rolled over Spain and its colonies...

Indeed, either the AI or the balance, or both, live up to the TW games standards. It seems we'll have to wait for a few patches and the modding community to straighten things quite a bit :rolleyes:
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

Jayavarman
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:34 pm

Generalisimo wrote:Then I quitted the game and went back into VGN work... :thumbsup: :coeurs:

The only good thing I read in your post. :thumbsup:
"Sad fragility of human things! What riches and treasures of art will remain forever buried beneath these ruins; how many distinguished men - artists, sovereigns, and warriors - are now forgotten!"

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Generalisimo

Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:00 pm

TiFlo wrote:This AAR pretty much tells the same story as yours, Arsan. The guy is playing the British, and has control over most all of western Europe after only 15-20 turns. He conquered France in the few first turns, then rolled over Spain and its colonies...

Indeed, either the AI or the balance, or both, live up to the TW games standards. It seems we'll have to wait for a few patches and the modding community to straighten things quite a bit :rolleyes:

Yep... the AI, like in ALL TW games is the problem... it doesn't know what to do and so it declares war against you without any provocation or sense. :bonk:
At least, I would expect them to create a solid offensive after declaring war... that would be a challenge, receiving a surprise attack that you weren't expecting, but nope, nothing... then, why declare war in the first place? :blink:
And the declaration of war from small tiny states or powerless states is just ridiculous :bonk:
Napoleon Bonaparte

Franciscus

Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:20 pm

Yes, yes,...but YET, you did but it, Generalissimo ;)

Christophe.Barot

that's the right thing to do

Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:20 pm

JackoWords wrote:I will definitely buy Empire Total War...but the game I am really longing for is Vainglory. :)

working all hard for this to happen asap

I don't think you'll be charged a "special bonus 20 $" for "Bismarck, Gordon, or Skobeleff extension", not quite the style of Philthib and pocus :)

gekkoguy82
Major

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:04 pm

y'all ought to check out the new crown of glory: emperors edition from the folks who made forge of freedom. i'm an ageod aacw guy but this new cog is really well done and probably has a ton more depth than etw ... i think shogun and the first medival game were probably creative assembly's best, just my humble opinion... :o

Generalisimo

Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:55 pm

Franciscus wrote:Yes, yes,...but YET, you did but it, Generalissimo ;)

You meant : "...you did buy it...", right?
Well, I am trying the games of the competition... I have to keep myself up to date with these things... :siffle: :D

Actually, to defend a bit the game... it looks AWESOME... the battles are quite pretty, including the naval ones.
It just the strategic AI that really puts down the game... :(
Napoleon Bonaparte

runyan99

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:06 pm

Generalisimo wrote:It just the strategic AI that really puts down the game... :(

Sssssshocking!

The PC Gamer review mentions that multiplayer, at least for the strategic map, is planned for later. That may be interesting.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Ai?

Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:26 am

Dumb as a "sack of hammers?" Or, a "box of rocks?" :w00t:

ironwarrior
Private

Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:36 pm

Time for me to lurk the TW forum to enjoy some sadistic delight in the post-release chaos. :D

I'm glad I waited on this one like I was determined to do. The only good thing about TW is that I found out about ageod from their forum. :coeurs:

re: runyan99- I can't see how they'll ever get around to mp campaign with all the bugs everyone is finding. I still laugh about the outrage on the forum when they told everyone that Activision limited them to releasing 3 patches for Rome. :D

Franciscus

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Hey, guys, let's stop this CA bashing. It's not fair. After all, you do not see any Ageod bashing in the CA/totalwar forums. do you ? :D :D

ironwarrior
Private

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:35 pm

Franciscus wrote:Hey, guys, let's stop this CA bashing. It's not fair. After all, you do not see any Ageod bashing in the CA/totalwar forums. do you ? :D :D

Actually yes, look in the graveyard posts.

Is it bashing CA to say that I utterly despise them as a company? :D

I don't see much bashing going on, can one not critique a game or the way a company does business in this PC world anymore?

Franciscus

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:07 pm

I was kidding ! :blink: ;)

ironwarrior
Private

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:10 pm

lol sorry, been spending too much time lurking TW forum I think. :D

dooya

Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:15 pm

Just read that people are able to unlock the bonus units without buying the collectors edition. This will probably annoy a couple of people...
No quote - No bullshit!

Generalisimo

Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:31 pm

dooya wrote:Just read that people are able to unlock the bonus units without buying the collectors edition. This will probably annoy a couple of people...

unbelievable!! :w00t:
Napoleon Bonaparte

JackoWords
Private

Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:39 pm

The game does look beautiful, but...it's not at all what I wanted. Vainglory can't come fast enough. :)

gunnergoz
Corporal
Location: Sunny Sandy Ego, CA -- also known as San Diego or "America's Finest City" to the tourist i

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:06 am

Reading about VGN makes me feel quite OK about passing up ETW. It's like passing up a big mac to go home to enjoy a 5-course banquet!

So get cooking, you guys! :D

Strategy
Lieutenant

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:38 pm

Bought the game (in a store - much cheaper that way).

Been playing as Sweden for the past few days. Currently own half of Europe, am the only non-native power in India, and have a foothold in America. Researched all the techs and built every building to max and I still have 300,000 gold. Considering whether to spend the remaining 40 years of 100 taking over the rest of the world, or just to click end turn until the boredom ends.

This is on the hardest difficulty level for both battles and campaign AI, btw.

Pros: The game is beautiful - especially the battles. I have some caveats with the battle mechanics (melee is far too effective, IMO), but it's overall a positive. I'd like to try some multiplayer with this.

Cons: The AI is the same as usual. It's not dumb in all aspects (i.e., every now and then it can pull off a nice move), but overall it still doesn't work. Diplomacy is still not good. Controls in sea battles are off.
Designer/Developer
MicaByte Games:
The Imperium Project (in eternal development)
A Brief History of Rome (Android & PC)
Pirates & Traders (Android)

Anguille

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:51 pm

Strategy wrote:Bought the game (in a store - much cheaper that way).

Been playing as Sweden for the past few days. Currently own half of Europe, am the only non-native power in India, and have a foothold in America. Researched all the techs and built every building to max and I still have 300,000 gold. Considering whether to spend the remaining 40 years of 100 taking over the rest of the world, or just to click end turn until the boredom ends.

This is on the hardest difficulty level for both battles and campaign AI, btw.

Pros: The game is beautiful - especially the battles. I have some caveats with the battle mechanics (melee is far too effective, IMO), but it's overall a positive. I'd like to try some multiplayer with this.

Cons: The AI is the same as usual. It's not dumb in all aspects (i.e., every now and then it can pull off a nice move), but overall it still doesn't work. Diplomacy is still not good. Controls in sea battles are off.

Aouch... :wacko:

This is what happens when you put more people on doing nice looking water in the naval battles than on the AI... :blink:

Adlertag

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:33 pm

Anguille wrote:Aouch... :wacko:

This is what happens when you put more people on doing nice looking water in the naval battles than on the AI... :blink:

You are right but unfortunately you'll sell more having better graphics than a better AI... :(
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

ironwarrior
Private

Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:02 am

The review that keeps getting censored and locked on the TW forums:

http://www.crispygamer.com/gamereviews/2009-03-17/empire-total-war-pc.aspx

:thumbsup:

Generalisimo

Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:55 pm

ironwarrior wrote:The review that keeps getting censored and locked on the TW forums:

http://www.crispygamer.com/gamereviews/2009-03-17/empire-total-war-pc.aspx

:thumbsup:

I must say that I agree almost 100% with that review... also, this part gets exactly what I said some posts before:
It seems that many of the game's features simply aren't used by the AI. Perhaps the most glaring omission is that the AI can't move armies across water, which makes life as the British Empire particularly easy. The AI is incapable of organizing any sort of practical offensive, and will instead just raid towns ineffectually. Enemy armies shuffle around the map noncommittally, apparently unable to seize territory, which is the whole reason armies are in the game. Barring huge differences in army size, which is where the only real challenge lies, other nations are little more than speed bumps. On even the hardest difficulty, winning the grand campaign is pretty much a guaranteed outcome, often long before the clock has run out. Even though you've met your victory conditions, you still have to wait until the 19th century arrives to end the game, which means many more turns of watching the AI's ineffectual fumbling. Frankly, it's embarrassing. You find yourself wondering, "I'm spending 20 hours and this is how the history of the 18th century is going to play out?"

This is what really "destroys the fun" of the game... the AI can be dumb as in any previous CA game.. let's be sincere, this is not something exclusive of Total War Series, we know the AI cannot play like the player does... but being THIS dumb is what really makes the game boring... :(
Napoleon Bonaparte

Franciscus

Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:02 pm

Take it easy, guys. Just wait for 1 or 2 patches and then mods will surely turn this already fun game to a better one - just try DarthMod for RTW and Stainless steel for M2TW, to see what I mean :coeurs:
(and please, don't start with the usual - "it's unfair for CA to wait for modders to correct their games" rants. That's the way it is, fine with me. The truth is, TW games gave me and still give me many hours of good FUN)

Return to “General discussions”