jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:28 pm

Primasprit wrote:But not all players agree here. Aside from the historical authenticity some prefer a game which is somewhat faster to play then AACW and allows to focus on the military strategy with all other micromanagement minimized. :)

So, NO Chains of command, marching to the sound of guns, war economy and national war effort management, leader promotions and many other succesful features experimented with AACW and NCP!
Indeed WIA, but few new scenarios, units, a map enlargement and marginal engine improvements adds very few to BoA, first game based over AGEod engine.
Introducing enlisted feature ,(army organization, chains of command) would have compelled game editors to rework the full BOA file DB. Editors found easier to start from BOA scenarios file, adding limited changes and quicky launching on the marker the "new" game.
To think bad,(It's just my opinion!) it seems like WIA was just a remake of BOA, published to rise some cash.

Notice: having AGEod aimed to a game enjoyable by players searching for somewhat faster to play, could anyway introduce most complex features and make them optional.... something happened for Attrition, Leader activation and other game rules in all AGEod games.
Ney: The army will not move!
Napoleon: The army will obey me!
Ney: The army will obey to its Generals’ orders!

[SIZE="1"]Fontainebleau, April 1814[/size]

arsan

Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:05 pm

rivette88 wrote:arsan

Chains of command, marching to the sound of guns, war economy and national war effort management as available in AACW are important game features adding depth to game. That comes before historical detail in all my considerations.

Anyway, it’s good time for stopping discussion and playing.
During the weekend I'll get some hours to take some practice with WIA. :cool:

Leaving the chain of command rules out of WIA is done for historical reasons as i stated before.
Using an extreme example, having tanks and planes and, what the hell, some spell casting ability for leaders on WIA will certainly give more features and depth to the gameplay. But it will not be historical at all.
"Nearly" just as antihistorical as using the chain of command rules or the economy and recruitment management of AACW on a S XVIII colonial wargame like WIA.

Personally, i don't want my WIA campaigns to play and feel like SXIX campaigns. For that i have the other games. I want the feel, flavor and game play of the SXVIII wars.
The different AGEOD games strive to have different flavor depending of the era they represent, not generic gameplay. IMHO this is one of the things that makes them great.
On WIA, this flavor include limited coordination between forces, smaller armies struggling to get supplied on a still half wilderness country with no supply lines and limited control over the nation resources for war.

On WIA you (the player) are not the USA or CSA presidents with ample powers. You are just the higher ranking general on North America. You have to fight with what you have and try to influence your nation efforts spending engagement points.
Do you really think the Brit general in command on North America could chose what units to raise or what industries to improve?? The king and the parliament sent him what they see fit. And as him, you have to work with what you get.
As well, the USA colonies were still constituting themselves as a nation and even Washington had very limited control over recruitment or the economic support for the war. Patriot volunteers came and went mostly as they see fit and the different colonies acted separately on many issues.

Rivette, i hope that playing the game you will be able to appreciate the era flavor and how well the simplified command chain works. Certainly, i don't miss corps and divisions while playing WIA.

Regards

lodilefty

Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:00 pm

jastaV wrote:So, NO Chains of command, marching to the sound of guns, war economy and national war effort management, leader promotions and many other succesful features experimented with AACW and NCP!
Indeed WIA, but few new scenarios, units, a map enlargement and marginal engine improvements adds very few to BoA, first game based over AGEod engine.
Introducing enlisted feature ,(army organization, chains of command) would have compelled game editors to rework the full BOA file DB. Editors found easier to start from BOA scenarios file, adding limited changes and quicky launching on the marker the "new" game.
To think bad,(It's just my opinion!) it seems like WIA was just a remake of BOA, published to rise some cash.

Notice: having AGEod aimed to a game enjoyable by players searching for somewhat faster to play, could anyway introduce most complex features and make them optional.... something happened for Attrition, Leader activation and other game rules in all AGEod games.

To say that WIA is a simple remake of BoA demonstrates a total lack of understanding of the differences.....

I won't waste my time enumerating these, but leave it to you to actually play both games and compare before posting ill-informed opinions.
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:18 pm

lodilefty wrote:To say that WIA is a simple remake of BoA demonstrates a total lack of understanding of the differences.....

I won't waste my time enumerating these, but leave it to you to actually play both games and compare before posting ill-informed opinions.

+1
jastaV wrote:To think bad,(It's just my opinion!) it seems like WIA was just a remake of BOA, published to rise some cash.

Well, the name of the game is "Birth of America II - Wars in America", so I don't think it's entirely unintentional that there are a certain number of similarities between the two games :wacko:

But I do agree, I too am quite offended by the sheer notion that AGEOD might be aiming to earn some money on the games they make. Who are they anyway? People who need to eat? People who need clothes to avoid freezing to death? *Sheesh* they should be giving these games to us for free! :rolleyes:
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:10 pm

lodilefty wrote:To say that WIA is a simple remake of BoA demonstrates a total lack of understanding of the differences.....

I bought both games!
I played both games!

[color="Red"]I'm ready to communcate AGEod my games unique codes if usefull to wipe away doubts![/color]

I posted at least half a dozeen times the list of AGEod games I bought and played: BOA, AACW, NCP, WIA.... (WW1 too).

I already posted critical opinion over WIA:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=121729&postcount=36

Indeed I was expecting something much from WIA in comparison to BOA.
There are not historical reason for not having the features I enlisted, (chains of command, marching to the sound of guns, war economy and national war effort management, leader promotions), in WIA.

I also know some users (or potential users) look at AGEod game micro-management complexity with disappointment. That's a point evidenced in meny professional reviews too.
Personally I love that aspect of the game: but it's again apersonal opinion! :wacko:
My suggestiong to possibly introduce major flexibility in game setting giving players chance to decide to play with a complex micromanagement system or not is to be looked positively: it's an AGEod chance to enlarge its customer party!
Ney: The army will not move!

Napoleon: The army will obey me!

Ney: The army will obey to its Generals’ orders!

[SIZE="1"]Fontainebleau, April 1814[/size]

Clovis

Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:07 pm

jastaV wrote:I bought both games!
I played both games!

I'm ready to communcate AGEod my games unique codes if usefull to wipe away doubts!

I posted at least half a dozeen times the list of AGEod games I bought and played: BOA, AACW, NCP, WIA.... (WW1 too).

I already posted critical opinion over WIA:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=121729&postcount=36

Indeed I was expecting something much from WIA in comparison to BOA.
There are not historical reason for not having the features I enlisted, (chains of command, marching to the sound of guns, war economy and national war effort management, leader promotions), in WIA.

I also know some users (or potential users) look at AGEod game micro-management complexity with disappointment. That's a point evidenced in meny professional reviews too.
Personally I love that aspect of the game: but it's again apersonal opinion! :wacko:
My suggestiong to possibly introduce major flexibility in game setting giving players chance to decide to play with a complex micromanagement system or not is to be looked positively: it's an AGEod chance to enlarge its customer party!

Frankly, I would be you, after stating the 13th january on Matrix forum:

"That's because AGEod is used to publish beta-development state games!Image
I bought BOA, AACW, NCP, WIA, WW1: none of them was stable at time I firstly played it. And I always bought the boxed version usually published some time later the pay for download one.
I apreciate AACW: a good game! NOW!
Unfortunately NCP, I'd love because of subject and age, is till far from a good level.... see problems reported at forum pages. Unfortunately AGEod team is denmostrating few enthusiasm for fixing NCP troubles, may be for reason of times and few human resources.
NCP was published some more a year ago: I bough it out of my money..... how many time till I'll have to wait before it'll reach, if any, a good gaming level?"

I would sell my AGEOD games, take a life and play another game. Hate is a destructive feeling for yourself. You just want to get some vengeance because your overinflated ego had been evaluated at its just valour. But you're just ridiculizing yourself, when stating:

So it's clear now: AGEod publish its game to collect ribbons and critic awards!Image

I'm sorry, I was thinking you were working to have products bought by gamers!Image
Indeed now things are a bit more clear..... Players reviews and scores sentence customers do not trust AGEod games; top net game sellers as Play.com are offering WW1 and WIA undercost, probably because customers do not buy your products.
But that will not a trouble for you: your showcase is filled with international awards!

Same thread on Matrix. I don't even how you can imagine to keep some credibility with such plain trolling statements.

For the rest, since you begun your hating Crusade, number of sold copies has yet raised, new members have registered on this forum, your rating is lowering. You're losing your miserable war and that's normal, considering your total lack of strategic gift.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Rafiki

Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:32 pm

[color="Blue"]I think Rivette has gotten his share of recommendations, and perhaps a bit more than that too.

I'm closing this thread, before it goes down in flames.[/color]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Return to “General discussions”