Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Lucky you... Cyberstratege goes English!

Tue May 06, 2008 7:45 am

Hi,

This is a shameless advertising for a magazine we love, here at AGEod. :cwboy:

French readers are lucky. Indeed, they enjoy the existence of two magazines dedicated to strategy PC games. And when I say "strategy", I don't mean only "Real time strategy". No, every two monthes, I can buy a magazine with dozens of articles and analysis about Sins of Solar Empire, Fantasy Wars, Amagedon Empires, Napoleon's campaigns, etc. (this was the content of the last May Issue).

Cyberstratege is the first of these two magazines, and the most prefered by the AGEod team. Pocus regularly writes in it games reviews and in depth analysis of the games he plays.

So? Just bitching out about how lucky French PC wargamers are?

No. Just read the following: :coeurs:

[SIZE="6"][CENTER]CYBERSTRATEGE - PRESS RELEASE[/CENTER][/size]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]The world-only computer strategy games magazine goes digital…
and in English![/size][/CENTER]

At last, the only computer strategy games magazine in the world is available in English! Since it was released eleven years ago, Cyberstratege has made itself famous as the only printed magazine entirely dedicated to wargames, "4X", grand strategy game, turn-based fantasy game and RTS… but it was only available in French, until now!

Many strategy players around the world have been eager to read the magazine in English. Now our extraordinary strategy articles on the best wargames as well as our exhaustive reviews, which for so long were only reserved for French speaking players and for those who could read a few words of Napoleon's mother tongue, are available to English-speakers.

The editorial team of Cyberstartege has indeed decided it was their duty to make the French printed version of the magazine more widely available. Of course, printing such a magazine and distributing it worldwide is a difficult matter, which is why we have chosen to 'go digital'. The advantages and disadvantages of an online magazine are well known : you can get the whole content on your screen in just a few seconds, but of course nothing can replace the pleasure of reading the paper version, especially when it's as nice looking as Cyberstatege... But this is, at the moment, the only way to enjoy its unique content, and, trust me, you will not find this quality of articles anywhere else on the net.

To begin with and to see if this format works, we have decided to release an "issue #0". It contains a selection of articles published in the French print magazine over the last few months, but which are still up to date. Here are a choice of reviews of some of the best wargames released in 2007 and three long strategy guides, on Europa Universalis III, Armageddon Empires and Medieval III : Total War.

For the moment, Cyberstratege digital is available on http://www.digitalnewsagent.com, but we will set up our own webstore for it in the coming weeks.

Cyberstratege is published every two months, and the next issue will be a complete adaptation of the French printed version. It will be released around June and will include a complete study of the 4x genre, a review of Sin of a Solar Empire, a strategic guide on the units of Fantasy Wars, an AAR on Napoleon's Campaign (from Ageod) and the second part of our analysis of Armageddon Empire, to mention but a few...

Now, at last, strategy lovers everywhere have a magazine entirely dedicated to their favorite games. Long live strategy games, long live Cyberstratege ...all over the world!

[CENTER]Get Cyberstratege, the computer strategy games magazine, on http://www.digitalnewsagent.com[/CENTER]

In issue #0 :
Strategy guides : Europa Universalis III : manage your kingdom - Armageddon Empires : the perfect deck – Medieval II : Total War : AAR with the Ottomans

Reviews : Battlefront – Silent Hunter IV – UFO Afterlight – Ageod American Civil War – and much more !

Warning : this issue 0 is a collection of articles from back issues of Cyberstratege. Cyber #1 will be available in June and will be a complete adaptation of the French issue #14, published in May.

Don't be mistaken, this ain't kind of weird marketing deal.
Cyberstratege is a true quality PC wargames magazine, and if the AGEod team has decided to relay the press release, it's because we are all huge fans and we wanted to share with you our enthusiasm about this news.

All Cyberstratege readers are welcome to post about how they feel about this mag.

Meanwhile, enjoy the screenshots and spread the word!!!

Cheers,

Korrigan
for the whole AGEod team
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 06, 2008 7:45 am

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

MarkShot

Tue May 06, 2008 9:39 am

Very interesting news.

Indeed, friends from Europe have sent me a few issues which included materials about AGEOD and Panther Game products. The issues were true works of art with well written articles.

There were a few niche PC wargaming magazines available in the USA back in the 1990s that were expanding operations as the market for PC wargames grew. However, I think they were killed off by the availability of high quality, timely, and free information from dedicated wargaming Web sites.

Why is it that Continental French wargamers have been able two support to high quality publications and North America (which I believe is a bigger market) has had nothing for a long time? Any decent analysis of this dichotomy?

It seems that they plan to buck the trend. For example, PC Mag at times during the 90s (with a special "network edition") had been over 100 pages. These days, although I still buy it, PC Mag looks like a cheap flyer of just 20-30 pages or so. Print content has been shrinking and after a big focus on the Internet, PC Mag is now lost and confused with nothing particular to focus on. They now waste time on articles about digital car technology etc...

Will the magazine be for sale in the USA and if so how will they be handling distribution?

Franciscus

Tue May 06, 2008 12:06 pm

Great news. This is a great mag, that I sometimes have bought in the french version (yes, I read french fairly well, although I do not speak/write it so good :niark: ), mainly when I find it in an airport shop. It is very difficult (impossible...) to find good mags like this one in Portugal.
I will definitely go and buy / subscribe it now.

:coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs:

Théophile

Tue May 06, 2008 3:02 pm

Hello to all !
Thank you for your nice comments.
We have just set up a demo version of the magazine, it includes the first eight pages... while the complete version is 64 pages !

Direct link : http://www.digitalnewsagent.com/clientdemo/cyberstratege_issue0_Demo.exe

For the moment, we only plan to sell the magazine in digital version, it will be too difficult to print and distribute it in the US... and there are strategy gamers everywhere, in Europe at first, who want it ! But we will see depending on the result of this digital version, nothing is impossible !

Théophile

Rafiki

Tue May 06, 2008 8:02 pm

These are great news, since I've heard many nice things about Cyberstratege :)

I wonder, though; why is the demo issue/sample available as an .exe, rather than e.g. a .pdf?
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Generalisimo

Tue May 06, 2008 8:26 pm

Rafiki wrote:These are great news, since I've heard many nice things about Cyberstratege :)

I wonder, though; why is the demo issue/sample available as an .exe, rather than e.g. a .pdf?

Because it is not a PDF... it is an application that shows you the magazine.
I have seen some like that done with Macromedia (now Adobe) programs...
Of course, i am with you... a PDF is simpler and can be open in almost every machine (PC, mobile phone, etc)
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

MarkShot

Tue May 06, 2008 10:27 pm

I suppose the reason for an EXE as opposed to a PDF is that it must provide some form of digital rights protection.

Is it CyberStrategy or PC4War which typically comes bundled with a CD of interesting materials on the news stand?

Besides Pocus, I know a number of individuals who are affiliated with these publications: Jean Francois Lucas, Eddy Sterkxe, ...

Years ago, I used to read a publication called SIMCAP which mainly catered to flight sim hobbyists. I was sorry to see them close up.

So, how does one run a successful quality (for thinking readers) game magazine when there is some much competing content complety free on the Internet? For example, I know there were some material about COTA published in these journals. I've personally written 300 pages of strategy content both basic tutorial and advanced conceptes available at Matrix Games (online and PDF) totally for free. So, why do folks buy?

Thanks.

Pocus

Wed May 07, 2008 8:07 am

One of the advantage of a mag is that it is a 'place' where is gathered all essential materials (if the topics are well choosen). In the end, we are speaking of awareness about a given content. You wrote 300 pages, but perhaps only 10% of the people interested in reading it knew that it existed. With a mag, you get without searching quite a lot of interesting stuff.

Also, strategic analysis are rares on websites, or if they exists, they are often in forum, by a player. I don't think there is even on the web a site which is specialized in producing strategic analysis for games, and not just review. With CS, you get charts and data tables plus comparisons to improve your strategy on a game. Again it boils down to the fact that these materials exists on the web, but dispersed, published by fans. With the mag, you get them without searching...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Evren

Secret Project

Wed May 07, 2008 3:33 pm

Wow! Hok gave a lot of information on the future projects. So this means we have to subscribe to the magazine instead of waiting for the news in the forums? As Korrigan noted, this is shameless advertising. :niark:

So here is some shameless curiosity :siffle: :

Will the Frederick the Great game be another NCP alike, or will there be a grand campaign option like ACW (although not likely, since there are more than one opponent)?

And is this Mexican Wars an expansion pack for AACW?

Pocus

Wed May 07, 2008 3:56 pm

Was it not the April Fool issue with some erroneous info? :siffle:

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Primasprit

Wed May 07, 2008 4:07 pm

Is the full magazine delivered in the same format as the demo?
I tried to print it, but to no avail. Frankly speaking, if I buy a magazine I don't want to read it on the PC.

Cheers
Norbert

Pocus

Wed May 07, 2008 4:13 pm

There is no printed version (for now) of the English version. This is a whole new story to get printed and recoup expenses for this type of mags. It is printed and available in France, but for the rest of the world, it is bought online only (and then readable even if offline).

Primasprit

Wed May 07, 2008 4:13 pm

I did not mean a printed version but one I can print.... :)

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Magaszine?

Wed May 07, 2008 4:28 pm

Dear AGEOD: No thanks! Any mag pushing Paradox Games is bound to be worthless along with them. Johann is NOT GOD or any thing all knowing. :niark:

Primasprit

Wed May 07, 2008 6:26 pm

Dear AGEOD: No thanks! Any mag pushing Paradox Games is bound to be worthless along with them. Johann is NOT GOD or any thing all knowing.

:confused:
Just because CS also cover Paradox games they are 'pushing' them?

Rafiki

Wed May 07, 2008 9:55 pm

tagwyn wrote:Dear AGEOD: No thanks! Any mag pushing Paradox Games is bound to be worthless along with them. Johann is NOT GOD or any thing all knowing. :niark:

Tagwyn, given that Paradox is a significant developer *and* publisher within our genre of computer games, don't you think that a magazine devoted to covering our genre would be failing in its coverage if it didn't cover stuff made/done by Paradox?

I know that you have had some bad experiences with Paradox yourself, but going from there to saying that anyone who has anything to do with Paradox is basically "tainted by evil" is a long stretch, even if you consider Paradox to be "evil" (which I disagree with but which is food for a different discussion than this ;) )

As Primasprit is saying, covering games isn't the same as pushing them; have you actually read some of the articles, so as to have an informed opinion of them? On the other hand, I have done my share of pushing Paradox games in the past, and reserve the right of doing so in the future whenever I find their games pushworthy. Does that make me worthless? Image

I also have to say it is rude of you to call someone coming to our forums for the first time "worthless", when all they do is to provide information and even a free sample of what they have to offer.

Do note that I haven't put this post in the blue or red I use when I write in more official capacities as forum administrator. These opinions are my own, and should therefore be taken as such.

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

morvael
Sergeant

Thu May 08, 2008 1:13 pm

I have purchased the magazine and it looks great, although I didn't have enough free time to read it and examine in detail. Anyway, this is a mag for me, full of strategy games and not those boring shooters :)

Thanks Rafiki for defending Paradox, I also don't consider them worthless. Although their games have some downsides, they were the only games I have played for several years until I have found out AACW and my free time is now split between the games of these two companies: AGEOD and Paradox.

Pocus

Thu May 08, 2008 6:54 pm

Paradox games are great (when fully patched :) ). Not as great as AGEOD's ones ;) but still, they have the merit of proposing to people very complete simulation of the world. Take Hearts of Iron II for example. There is no other game at this level on detail on WW2. Even if it has its defaults, this is quite a big plus!

(I won't comment on anything else touching patches, expansion policy and such though! :nuts :)

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 08, 2008 11:54 pm

Rafe: I did not mean to be taken as being critical of any particular person. I too like HOI II and play often. VR is a good game. It was unfair of me to shout too loudly at Paradox games. Once again, Rafe I am in your debt. Thank you for your comment. T

Rafiki

Fri May 09, 2008 12:40 pm

tagwyn wrote:Rafe: I did not mean to be taken as being critical of any particular person. I too like HOI II and play often. VR is a good game. It was unfair of me to shout too loudly at Paradox games. Once again, Rafe I am in your debt. Thank you for your comment. T

No worries. I am familiar enough with Paradox to know that their approach to things doesn't suit everyone ;)

My main point was your targeting of CyberStratege/Théophile for your grievances with Paradox, which I consider to be both incorrect and unfair :)

In any case, people, let's not make this into a "Paradox is good/Paradox is evil"-discussion. The point to focus on is the good news that Cyberstratege is coming in English and that those who like can even sample their work for free, using the link provided by Théophile :coeurs:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Théophile

Fri May 09, 2008 1:40 pm

Thanks Rafiki for the support !

About printing the magazine, that is a key issue. In fact, if one could print the mag, he could also produce an pdf and then just give it on any forum !
In fact, we believe that most wargamers wouldn't do that, but for the moment, we are trying to find a solution to either secure the pdf or allow printing without the opportunity to produce pdf.
Théophile

Primasprit

Fri May 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Hi Théophile,

I really hope you will implement the possibility to print the magazine, it is not only a key issue for you. :)

I am looking forward to the coming issues of CS and wish you success with the English version. :cwboy:

Cheers
Norbert

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 09, 2008 10:48 pm

tagwyn wrote:Dear AGEOD: No thanks! Any mag pushing Paradox Games is bound to be worthless along with them. Johann is NOT GOD or any thing all knowing. :niark:

Sorry I disagree...

The only interesting grand-strategy-games I ve been capable to find during a lot of years ago were those at paradox.

I ve bought nearly all his series. CK, EU, Vicky, HoI.

I ve had fun with all of them... Perhaps they have some mistakes :indien: ... But those people are damn good for me.

They have made a good historic research, tried to simulate history for inmense timelines, and have had a hard work fighting versus we gamey-trick pursuers.

I just hope they could try to upgrade their games and go on giving us good titles.

jkk
Private

Sat May 10, 2008 4:02 pm

I used to receive this magazine in French. I think I was their only US subscriber, or at least, one of the very very few. A French PBEM gamer sent me a copy of issue #1 as a gift, and I liked it so well I became a regular. I thought it had ceased independent publication and become a column in Vae Victis, which I also subscribed to for awhile.

I still have a full set of eighteen original issues.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun May 11, 2008 10:59 am

Théophile wrote:About printing the magazine, that is a key issue. In fact, if one could print the mag, he could also produce an pdf and then just give it on any forum !
In fact, we believe that most wargamers wouldn't do that, but for the moment, we are trying to find a solution to either secure the pdf or allow printing without the opportunity to produce pdf.

Théophile,

Don't you feel you might be overdoing it?
Right now, any French readers could scan your printed edition, make a PDF, and post it in the French speaking forums... but they don't.

Just like failing to do a free PDF of your numero zero was not a good move IMHO (you failed to gain greater expostion, and rised paranoïd concerns with your EXE in some forums where Cyberstratege is not well known), I feel that not allowing your legit buyers to print and read your digital magazine would be to shoot yourself in the feet.

Don't underestimate how consumerist English speaking societies can be compare to latin societies: value and service to your customers should be your only worries. You might encounter few rogue customers (just like we do with our low protected AGEod products) but, in the long run, if you trust your customers they will reward you 300%.

I hope you'll find a satisfying technical solution very soon, but don't create yourself your own ghosts either. :cwboy:

My 2 cents,

Korrigan

PS: The Armchair General Guys are selling a digital version of their mag. If you take contact with Eric Weider, ask him how do they process.

Franciscus

Sun May 11, 2008 11:17 am

I completely agree with Korrigan. I bought issue #0 of Cyberstratege, mainly to help them, but I sincerely hope in the future they manage, at least to subscribers, to make their mag available as a pdf.

tremy
Corporal

Fri May 16, 2008 1:32 am

These old eyes can't read the print ,its too small.
Pity cos' looks just the sort of magazine I would enjoy.
Bit like the old avalon hill,spi mags.

Primasprit

Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Any update when and in which format (pdf ?) the English issue no. 1 will be available? :cwboy:

Primasprit

Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:53 pm

CyberStratege Issue 0 now on Gamersgate..... and it seems as pdf! :)

http://www.gamersgate.com/index.php?page=product&what=view&sku=CS-00&via=newly_added
The most renowned computer games magazine in France - Cyberstratege - is now also available in a fully English version. Download the pdf version of the magazine and find out first hand why this is one of the most well respected strategy game sources out there
So, when will we see Issue 1? I hope there will not be every time a gap of several month between the French and English issue.

Cheers
Norbert

Return to “General discussions”