prince_blucher
Conscript

New to AGEOD - which game?

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi there,
I'm new to AGEOD games and this forum. I am looking for some advice about which game to start off with.
Ideally I want to play NCP but I think I should learn the game engine etc. from an entry level game or an 'easier' game. Any advice or comments is welcome.
My background is mainly Paradox games like EU / HOI series (recently March of the Eagles); Total War games like Shogun 2, Empire and Napoleon; and Napoleon in Europe board game.
Thanks,
Prince

Leibst

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Hi prince_blucher welcome to the forum!

We always recomend to start with WiA, or WiA2. The latter has lot of escenarios so you could select one short to begin familiar with the engine and rules.
The second step is to try with the Grand Campaign. But i really recomed you to read the AAR section because ther you can learn lot of things that are not in the Manual or in the Tutorial.
The AGEOD Wiki is also a place of interest.
enjoy! :thumbsup:
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Carnium

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:19 pm

WiA 2 (successor to Birth of America aka WiA 1) is a great and simple yet hard to master game. It has this typical "just one more turn" feeling that keeps you awake till you hear the birds outside :mdr:
After that you will be more than ready for NPC and then only the deep of your pockets and your free time will be the limit.

prince_blucher
Conscript

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks guys for the advice. So the game you recommend is Birth of America II : Wars in America 1750-1815 ? Correct? Can I get it from Steam?
Thanks again.

Leibst

Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:26 pm

thats the game yes, but no idea about steam.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Carnium

Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:28 pm

prince_blucher wrote:Thanks guys for the advice. So the game you recommend is Birth of America II : Wars in America 1750-1815 ? Correct? Can I get it from Steam?
Thanks again.

I would recommend you buying it directly from the AGEOD store. They have a new page and the prices are cool :w00t:
http://www.ageod.co.uk/

prince_blucher
Conscript

Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:53 am

Thanks Carnium and Liebstandarte, purchased the game as recommended!

Carnium

Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:45 am

prince_blucher wrote:Thanks Carnium and Liebstandarte, purchased the game as recommended!

Have fun with it and fire up any additional questions in the WiA forum. Start with a small scale scenario to learn the basics and then move up.
You will be ready for NPC in a week time ;)

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:11 pm

I concur with the recommendation. WiA should be the best game to start, some rules are simplified, while it's still an AGE game at the core, deep and fun at the same time.

Incidentally I wrote a primer to getting started, specifically for WiA. Read here

Soulstrider
Major

Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:21 am

I would suggest Alea Jacta Est, at least it was my first game and I found it pretty easy to get into.

prince_blucher
Conscript

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:52 am

[quote="GlobalExplorer"]I concur with the recommendation. WiA should be the best game to start, some rules are simplified, while it's still an AGE game at the core, deep and fun at the same time.

Incidentally I wrote a primer to getting started, specifically for WiA.

Hi GlobalExplorer, thank you for your reply. I tried to link to your URL but my virus software (Kaspersky) blocked the site, indicating it contained a Trojan type virus. Is there any way you could copy the primer into a message or email? Can you PM me and I'll give you my email address?

Having played the tutorial and a 4 turn scenario last night I believe I'm going to need a lot of help!

Thanks, Prince

prince_blucher
Conscript

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:57 am

Soulstrider, I watched an interesting you tube gameplay (by James Allen) of AJE and i must admit the guy made it look a lot more straight forward! There is also that Charles Cummings series which looked very detailed (and helpful). But I guess I wanted the community to guide me since it a) knows best and b) can support me :-)
Thanks again.

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:10 am

Sorry about the Trojan, uploaded again the clean file.

Another version of the primer is also at the end of the WiA review: http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=60 "How to get started"

prince_blucher
Conscript

Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks, excellent review.
p.s. I agree with you about the music; shocking. That is one thing Paradox games do well, otherwise they are a little to sandbox unless heavily modded.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:48 pm

prince_blucher wrote:Having played the tutorial and a 4 turn scenario last night I believe I'm going to need a lot of help!

Thanks, Prince

You might want to read over the AAR I wrote with Narwhal. It was the first time I'd played WiA and the first time I'd played PBEM so from my point of view its a comedy of errors (in which a lot of things get burnt down). Narwhal's side is a master class and it also contains a lot of posts that explain key mechanics.

edit - should say its on the Paradox forum but you don't need to register with them just to read it
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

prince_blucher
Conscript

Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:27 pm

loki100 wrote:You might want to read over the AAR I wrote with Narwhal. It was the first time I'd played WiA and the first time I'd played PBEM so from my point of view its a comedy of errors (in which a lot of things get burnt down). Narwhal's side is a master class and it also contains a lot of posts that explain key mechanics.

edit - should say its on the Paradox forum but you don't need to register with them just to read it

Hi Loki, yep I've read it and very informative it was too. Good job you made of it as well. It still didn't help me get beaten! I've been around Paradox forums a while so it was fine. Narwhal's 'Beginner's Corner' was also useful.

Return to “General discussions”