Die Zieten
Sergeant

Are you directly related to people that took part in the conflicts of AGEOD titles?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:04 pm

I have direct relations to family fighting in WW1, RUS, Napoleons Campaigns and Rise of Prussia.

Others not covered by the games, WW2, Great Northern War, 30 Years War, Swedish Civil War in 1500s, maybe im forgetting someone but these ones atleast.

I guess life really is a miracle, or rows of them combined.

Pocus

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:11 pm

So far I only know for certain that my grand-father was in the mountain infantry, during WW1.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

wosung

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Pocus wrote:So far I only know for certain that my grand-father was in the mountain infantry, during WW1.

Chasseures d' Alpine?! So probably fighting in the Vosges.

7.,11., 12., 13., 27., 28., 47., 53., 67., 68. B.C.A.: Vieil-Armand/Hartmannswillerkopf
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartmannswillerkopf

68. B.C.A.: Grand Ballon/Große Belchen
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Ballon

12., 15., 22., 28. B.C.A.: Cernay/Sennheim/Steinbach

Best regards

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:00 pm

I've had at least one or two relatives involved with just about every war America has ever been in. My great-great-great-great grandfather served in the 28th Louisiana infantry and fought in the Red River campaign under General Taylor. He survived the war and was paroled in 1865.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Family tracked back to mid 16th century after many years of searching from elder members but from what I know my grand mother was a teacher during the new regime just after a few years from ww1. In which there were a few of them. Not sure that info get credit in wargame forum. :D

Le Ricain

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:38 pm

My ancestors:

King Phillips War: 12
French & Indian War: 6
American War of Independence:

American - 18
Loyalist - 2
Both - 1 (4th Virginia Rgt 1776 => POW Charleston 1780 => Duke of Cumberland Rgt 1781 Jamaica)

War 0f 1812: 3
Napoleonic Wars: 1 (British 32nd Duke of Cornwall Rgt - Peninsula + Wounded at Waterloo)
American Civil War:

Union - 1 (1st Maine Mtd Art)
Confederate - 2 (3rd Louisiana Rgt & Floyd Legion)

WWI: 1 (AEF)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

PhilThib

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:59 am

One of my direct ancestor was an artillery general of Napoleon during the Peninsula War (so NCP: 1) and my grandfather was an artillery lieutnant observer (balloon) in France in 1916 and on the Italian front in 1917-1918 (so WW1: 1) :cool:
My father was a doctor in a artillery regiment in the Algerian war and myself served as Recco head in a motorized artillery regiment in the early 80's...

Looks like my family loved big guns... :mdr:

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:19 pm

I really don't know. A grandfather was PoW (working(?) in a camp) for long in Germany in WW2, and thereafter was prison visitor his whole life and was not fond of military nor police. My father never talked about the 'algerian events'. My parisian grandmother is still scared and don't want to really talk about the occupation of Paris; she's 100 years old since some months. My other grandmother (dead) was actualy crazy living her whole life in nuns nursing home, maybe she went crazy in WW1 or WW2.
I was blue-helmet for 6 months (summer 1983) in logistic support in ex-Yugoslavia; I was coming from RMT regiment [Régiment de Marche du Tchad, marine mechanized infantry regiment of 2e DB (2nd Armoured Division). It's really a coincidence that I'm historically interested in this regiment, for the Nueve RMT spanish company and the epic Leclerc 'strategic raid' (lol) from Africa to Hitler' very nest.].

Die Zieten
Sergeant

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:25 pm

PhilThib wrote:One of my direct ancestor was an artillery general of Napoleon during the Peninsula War (so NCP: 1) and my grandfather was an artillery lieutnant observer (balloon) in France in 1916 and on the Italian front in 1917-1918 (so WW1: 1) :cool:
My father was a doctor in a artillery regiment in the Algerian war and myself served as Recco head in a motorized artillery regiment in the early 80's...

Looks like my family loved big guns... :mdr:

Recco as in recon?

I did my service in a jäger brigade, recon company, deploying via airborne or land. Specialized as forward observer, we also tried to find juicy targets for the big guns and rockets.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:24 pm

My maternal Grandfather died with the CEF in WW1. He arrived in France in October 1918 as a replacement infantryman and succumbed to influenza in early December, never having been in combat so far as can be ascertained. His official service record has been lost but there's a single photo of him in uniform taken during his brief departure leave and my Grandmother kept several letters and the telegram notifying her of his death but these too have disappeared. Mom was born in May 1919 so we have a pretty good idea how he spent his last days before leaving his rural Quebec home.

Fraternal grandfather fought in the First Balkan War with the Greek Army rising to sergeant. He emigrated to Canada after his discharge and in 1917 tried to enlist in the Canadian Army but was rejected because he was a "foreigner". Ironically, Greece was a member of the Allies but this is purely anecdotal and it may not have happened like that at all. No way to confirm any more, he died in 1932 and my father (b. 1918) passed away in 1999.

Dad served 1940-45 with the RCAF as a navigator in Bomber Command, doing 13-"trips" in Lancaster's before being wounded and made an instructor and I did 28-years in the Field Artillery, retiring in 2008.

-C

Die Zieten
Sergeant

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:32 pm

Any of you done those DNA tests? Im currently at early 16th century with my research. Direct paternal line goes to a hofman, armored knight, who got eternal freedom from taxes and 5 farms from the King of Sweden for some good service. This service continued in the family, they sent two Hakkapeliitta cavalrymen in to the 30 Years War, the other was own son, also direct ancestor.

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:59 pm

For my part my knowledge is based on genealogy research my family has done over many, many years. Family bibles, war pensions, death certificates, the whole bit. On my mother's side I can actually trace people by name back to about 1746 when the first European ancestors of mine made the move to Louisiana and the Gulf Coast.

TheDoctorKing

Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:54 pm

My 3-times-great grandfather George Mills was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War (Massachusetts militia in the invasion of Canada, 1775, then the 7th Massachusetts Infantry in the Continental Army through 1782)

A cousin, Jesse Weakley, was in the 4th West Virginia Infantry in the American Civil War, 1861-1865.
A great-great-uncle, William Gorton, was in a New York regiment (don't know which one) in the USA western army from 1863-1865.
Another great-uncle, Christian Uphoff, was a doctor in the Army of Northern Virginia (CSA) during the Civil War.

My grandfather, Borden Mills, was in the New York National Guard during the Spanish-American War, but did not make it to Cuba.

My great-uncle, David King, was in the 29th Division, US Army, in the Great War, and died in the Argonne offensive in 1918.

My parents were both in WWII, but we haven't done a game about that yet...
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El Nino

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:53 pm

My ancestor was lieutenant-colonel in the french 17th cavalry during the french revolutionnary wars, and of the 26th dragoon regiment during the napoleonic wars (injured at Eylau, many hard fights in Spain). He received the "Legion d'Honneur" from Napoleon himself !

My great-great -father was lieutnant at Verdun during the Great War (and stay alive) !
One of my great-father was in the Maginot line during WWII, the other was in the french airforce in 1940 at Toulouse. And my great-uncle made the battle of Dunkerque in 1940 (he was lucky to be one of the few french to go in England).

And I was in Ivory-Coast myself during the civil war in 2003-2004 (as french officer of the "Opération Licorne") !

TheDoctorKing

Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:48 pm

El Nino wrote:And I was in Ivory-Coast myself during the civil war in 2003-2004 (as french officer of the "Opération Licorne") !

On behalf of my African family members, thank you for your service.

I was in Togo during a coup attempt there and it was a very comforting feeling to hear the transport planes bringing the "paras" in to stabilize the situation. Even though they kept Eyadema on the throne for a few more years.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Le Ricain

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:26 pm

El Nino wrote:My ancestor was lieutenant-colonel in the french 17th cavalry during the french revolutionnary wars, and of the 26th dragoon regiment during the napoleonic wars (injured at Eylau, many hard fights in Spain). He received the "Legion d'Honneur" from Napoleon himself !

My great-great -father was lieutnant at Verdun during the Great War (and stay alive) !
One of my great-father was in the Maginot line during WWII, the other was in the french airforce in 1940 at Toulouse. And my great-uncle made the battle of Dunkerque in 1940 (he was lucky to be one of the few french to go in England).

And I was in Ivory-Coast myself during the civil war in 2003-2004 (as french officer of the "Opération Licorne") !

I was in ivory Coast from 1981 - 1983 with Oil.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Le Ricain

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:27 pm

TheDoctorKing wrote:On behalf of my African family members, thank you for your service.

I was in Togo during a coup attempt there and it was a very comforting feeling to hear the transport planes bringing the "paras" in to stabilize the situation. Even though they kept Eyadema on the throne for a few more years.

Which coup? I was in Lome for one of the 1993 coup attempts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Bruit Bleu

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:16 pm

I've just learned today that I had an ancestor who fought in the IIIème Régiment Suisse under Bonaparte and was awarded of the Légion d'Honneur after Battle of France in 1813. He was the lieutenant Jean Équey, a small noble from Fribourg with coat of arms and all the stuff... I knew that a family branch was from Switzerland, but I didn't know that !
What a news !

I also had a great-grand-father who survived le Chemin des Dames (1917) but never talked about it, my two grand-dads were sent in Germany for the STO during WW2, and a few uncles in Indochine and Algérie in the '50s.
And all my wife's family is in Légion étrangère from father to son since the end of the XIXth...

Among these people, at least four died in service. What a waste !
TYW Baroque music mod

« Dulce Bellum Inexpertis »
Erasmus

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:43 am

Random wrote:
Fraternal grandfather fought in the First Balkan War with the Greek Army rising to sergeant. He emigrated to Canada after his discharge and in 1917 tried to enlist in the Canadian Army but was rejected because he was a "foreigner". Ironically, Greece was a member of the Allies but this is purely anecdotal and it may not have happened like that at all. No way to confirm any more, he died in 1932 and my father (b. 1918) passed away in 1999.

-C

My grandmother before she died were talking about balkan war where she was wearing thick multi layer belt for protection from bullet fire while escaping from Selanik. Nice to know. :D

Hobbes

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:55 am

I have a belt of WWI medals handed down from the belgian side of my family but no idea how they were earned. Quite sad not knowing this.

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:39 am

My ancestors are Mexican and never went to Europe. They only recently arrived in the United States, so I highly doubt they fought in any of the AGEOD conflicts, unless you count the French Intervention in Mexico which cameos in both AACW and PON. Even this is only a small chance, because my ancestry was mostly peasants from Western Mexico where there was less fighting, but who knows? It is a very poorly documented lineage.

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:54 am

Do all European countries require service legally? It seems that it is very common to have ancestors who were involved in their country's military. I am suprised so many forumites have also served.

I remember one of my Great-aunts on my mother's side talking about the Cristero War and how the government troops would come plundering their land asking my grandfather ¿Eres un hombre de la iglesia? Despite all the thieving and plundering, especially in Guanajuato, they managed to stay neutral.

On my father's side my grandfather told me the story of his village in Jalisco, starting from its history under the Porfiriato, but he totally skipped the story of the revolution. Suddenly he was saying "My father received a piece of land from the government after the revolution" and talking about what happened next. So I guess 'nuff said.

I can't imagine how my family avoided fighting, but I guess someone had to be neutral. Thank God!

TheDoctorKing

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:34 am

Le Ricain wrote:Which coup? I was in Lome for one of the 1993 coup attempts.

In 1986. The two sons of Sylvanius Olympio tried to invade from Ghana with the assistance of the Ghanian government. When their forces withdrew to Ghana, they went right past my house. I lived in Tokoin-Hopital right next to the Ghanian border. The country was pretty crazy for a couple of days and then those nice young fellows from France moved in and everything went right back to normal.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:38 am

I'm planning to make a "Wars in Mexico" mod. I'll make sure to put in a unit for your ancestors :)
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:43 am

Hahaha. Thank you. We can call them the "Hombres de la Iglesia" and they can be militia locked in place forever. :)

You might have seen my declaration of intent to do a PON Mexico Mod. I want to complete it by summer, but I need to learn to mod and right now I know almost nothing. It's some pretty confusing stuff!

Die Zieten
Sergeant

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:29 am

Gen. Monkey-Bear wrote:Do all European countries require service legally? It seems that it is very common to have ancestors who were involved in their country's military. I am suprised so many forumites have also served.

I remember one of my Great-aunts on my mother's side talking about the Cristero War and how the government troops would come plundering their land asking my grandfather ¿Eres un hombre de la iglesia? Despite all the thieving and plundering, especially in Guanajuato, they managed to stay neutral.

On my father's side my grandfather told me the story of his village in Jalisco, starting from its history under the Porfiriato, but he totally skipped the story of the revolution. Suddenly he was saying "My father received a piece of land from the government after the revolution" and talking about what happened next. So I guess 'nuff said.

I can't imagine how my family avoided fighting, but I guess someone had to be neutral. Thank God!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conflicts_in_Europe :bonk:

Now we usually get defensive and start to bring up science, philosophy, classical music and etc..lot of these are linked to European wars btw.

But yes, we are killers, been like that since history has been written, so where our relatives that went overseas "exploring" and "colonizing", they fought each other and the locals.

Now the general conscription came really up for the Napoleonic wars, like many have reported here about their relatives.

But many smaller nations had to be like military camps even before because these larger predators where around and most still got eaten.

The modern European concription was during the Cold War and it has practically ended in all countries.

It remains in Finland, Greece, Switzerland.. anyone else please report here?

All have different reasons for it, but today it must have a strong support by the people, in Finland it has and im sure Switzerland, others can report their situation.

Now we have this "peace project" called European Union where leaders have not opened a history book in their life so we will propably see more European wars.. :bonk:

Soulstrider
Major

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:26 am

Unfortunately (or should I say fortunately) not.

Afaik from one side of the family there were simple peasants I can actually trace my tree from here until the 16th century, from the other is kind of mysterious since my grandfather didn't knew his parents ( a very bizarre story about them being murdered while he was just an infant during the time when the monarchy was abolished) and so we have no knowledge of our ancestors there.

I do have 3 family members who fought in the Ultramar War though, one was a radio operator in the HQ, another commanded his own squad in the frontlines and another was special forces.

TheDoctorKing

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:33 am

I did not see that. I am interested - are you trying to make Mexico playable in PON, with political events and the like?

I am thinking of a more operational-level game, with scenarios for the American invasion of 1846-48, the Reforma war of the 1850s, the French invasion and possible involvement in the American Civil War (that's what we're starting with) and the Revolution of 1911-1928 or so. Probably be a lot of political options and regional decisions reflecting the political nature of these struggles while still focusing on troop movements, supply delivery, leaders, and so on.

Edit: sorry about the OT post...
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:40 am

I did not see that. I am interested - are you trying to make Mexico playable in PON, with political events and the like?

I am thinking of a more operational-level game, with scenarios for the American invasion of 1846-48, the Reforma war of the 1850s, the French invasion and possible involvement in the American Civil War (that's what we're starting with) and the Revolution of 1911-1928 or so. Probably be a lot of political options and regional decisions reflecting the political nature of these struggles while still focusing on troop movements, supply delivery, leaders, and so on.

Yes, I am trying to make Mexico playable and it should be very difficult and fun to play as Mexico if I do it properly. Lots of resources, and plenty of civil war- it may be as challenging as China and the Ottoman empire. I was even thinking of including colonial aspects like the Caste War of Yucatan and the Yaqui Indian wars. Also it should be fun to fight tiny scale wars against maniac adventurers and filibusters in Sonora, like William Walker and that one French dude whose name I forget. And of course the (im)possibility of a Reconquista of the Mexican Cession states.

Are you making your game with the AGEOD engine? I think that would be awesome to do a detailed campaign of the French Intervention, and the Mexican Revolution would be the best! I think and AGEOD engine would be perfect for the Revolution . . . imagine a 1914-1919 civil war campaign against the famous Pancho Villa!

Now we usually get defensive and start to bring up science, philosophy, classical music and etc..lot of these are linked to European wars btw.

But yes, we are killers, been like that since history has been written, so where our relatives that went overseas "exploring" and "colonizing", they fought each other and the locals.

Now the general conscription came really up for the Napoleonic wars, like many have reported here about their relatives.

But many smaller nations had to be like military camps even before because these larger predators where around and most still got eaten.

The modern European concription was during the Cold War and it has practically ended in all countries.

It remains in Finland, Greece, Switzerland.. anyone else please report here?

All have different reasons for it, but today it must have a strong support by the people, in Finland it has and im sure Switzerland, others can report their situation.

Now we have this "peace project" called European Union where leaders have not opened a history book in their life so we will propably see more European wars..

I guess that explains it . . . it is difficult for a North American to understand European politics, but I have always been interested! It makes sense that so many wars require so many soldiers. As far as colonial wars go, I think I understand it . . . after all, the Americas were almost all colonies.

The thing that always shocked me of European wars was how all the killing takes place in such a small area! Huge armies, small countries, not like North America where armies are small and there is plenty of space. The battle of Celaya was HUGE by Mexican standards, but tiny by European standards. Just looking at a map of the Western Front in WWI gets me claustrophobic. Absolutely no room to manuever.

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 pm

I re-read that post and realized how ignorant and insulting that last part sounds. Sorry about that, guys.

Return to “General discussions”