TheDoctorKing

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:35 am

Here's another idea for you: Wars In Afghanistan.

You could start with Babar or Timur, but maybe best to start with the British invasions in the 19th century. Or even the beginning of the civil war in 1978. Playable factions would include the Communists (Russian and domestic), Islamists, and Westerners (and their internal allies). Regional "Green" forces (a very popular color :D ) could be allied temporarily for a cost in EPs and $, but watch out for the ever-popular nasty betrayal.

Topic very much in the news these days, possible sales outside the gaming community if the game is well-done. Maybe you could even get a grant to do it, from NATO or the U.S. government?
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carnium

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:22 am

TheDoctorKing wrote: Maybe you could even get a grant to do it, from NATO or the U.S. government?

They would most probably ban it as in the game the "other" side might win it and it could negatively effect their soldiers....
Also check this:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30742/EA_Removes_Medal_of_Honor_Taliban_Name_Out_Of_Respect.php

TheDoctorKing

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:19 am

Back in the days of board gaming, SPI had a contract with the US Army to produce a game as a training tool. The result was Firefight/Cityfight which were interesting games but not as deep or involving as Advanced Squad Leader, which came out from Avalon Hill at about the same time (without any government assistance). But militaries have used games for training purposes for a long time. In fact, that's where this hobby came from in the first place, from military _kriegspiel_ games used to train officers and simulate planned campaigns. I'd be surprised, with all the advances in computer technology, if modern militaries weren't making games on their own. Maybe AGEOD could get in on some of that money?

The link you sent me is another example of how silly public discourse has gotten to be in this country. It's OK to have a game where you can play the Nazis (or the Stalinist communists), but not one where you can play the Taliban? Mind-bending. :confused:
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Narwhal

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:21 pm

A game about the Bolivarian and intern-South America wars would be outstanding in my opinion, and could find some customers. Documentation should be fairly easy to come by. That would be my second best after the TCW, but I know I will never see a game about the TCW.

Mexican history could be great, too.

Leinsdorf
Conscript

Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:02 pm

I would be greatly interested in knowing something about future AGEOD's projects, besiders Pride of Nations, especially about possible expansions for existing games, namely ROP (e.g. Silesian War 1740-45 campaigns) and NCP (e.g., as somewhat announced, a module encompassing Bonaparte in Italy campaigns

marcusjm
Colonel

Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:18 pm

I think it is hard to make wargames based on asymetric warfare. Much better candidate in that case would be the mujahediins war against CCCP in Afghanistan(which sort of covers Talibans).

My suggestion was making one based on the so called secret war. Ie, the intelligence war in WW2. There was a boardgame covering this.

But, I personally think AGEOD should stick to the ages they have done so far a bit more.

Would Paradox mind if AGEOD made a "real" Europa Universalis? Ie a faithful conversion of the boardgame.

hgilmer
Captain

Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:19 am

I already told them what the winner should be and I even gave them the name they can call it. Although I don't know how it will translate into other languages.

A game about the Hundred Years War. Pretty much covers all of Western Europe.

The name I already gave was "Tragedy and Trimumph: The Hundred Years' War".

It's a winner and everyone would buy it, except maybe the Chinese because they might not be interested.

TheDoctorKing

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:42 pm

marcusjm wrote:I think it is hard to make wargames based on asymetric warfare. Much better candidate in that case would be the mujahediins war against CCCP in Afghanistan(which sort of covers Talibans).

RUS is kind of asymmetrical. Especially fighting the Greens in the middle and late game. You have to balance your demands for money and conscripts with the competing demands of the front line and keeping the guerillas down behind you.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

marcusjm
Colonel

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:57 pm

TheDoctorKing wrote:RUS is kind of asymmetrical. Especially fighting the Greens in the middle and late game. You have to balance your demands for money and conscripts with the competing demands of the front line and keeping the guerillas down behind you.

Maybe but I still wonder if a Combat Mission mod wouldn't be more suitable(maybe it already exists?).

Still. I also encourage them to try new things and game types not seen before. Many wargamers seem to be entrenched in the same old battles all the time.

But as sure hgilmer is about hundred years war, I am about a "real" Europa-Universalis. Here we have the chance to get the game as originally envisioned by the designer. I respect Paradox but I always thought turn based was a better model for EU.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:46 am

As a player highly enjoying Rop and Rus games, I hope and wish that there will be at least some few projects in future about country-specific conflicts* if path is inevitable ww2 . Specific conflicts with OOB and such really helps to understand the historical facts and battles much quicker then reading tons of books.

*I forgot to mention TCW as an example :thumbsup: :wacko:
But Spanish Civil war also does sound good beforehand.

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:19 am

Ok, my AGEOD wet dream game... here goes...

1 - Crusader Kings style dynasty simulator
acting out a larger scope campaign with...

2 - An AGE-style strategic, hand drawn map
moving armies and leaders around and fighting in...

3 - A Total War-style 3D battle engine. Could maybe even be an older engine like the one used in the Fields of Glory series.

Just throw those elements together, blend well and serve. Just think about it. I know a game like that set in any time period would take forever to code, but the genius of those three concepts all working together would make for one of the greatest strategy games of all time. Will probably never happen. Oh well, a man can dream.

Kensai

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Considering that this is a French software house and we are two years away from the 100th anniversary of the Great War, the only big project I expect in the next couple of years is the AGEOD treating of World War I! :w00t:

I would love to see AJE characteristics in it, meaning mainly a detailed and bug free war game using the latest iteration of the AGE engine and a beefed-up AI, with limited (but not non-existent!) administration and economic decisions that may influence the outcomes. It could be mainly focused on warfare in Europe but a world map would really make it shine! Obviously, I would expect versions with "extra" stuff for the dedicated AGEOD patrons, including a "Field Marshal" version with everything but the kitchen sink! :thumbsup:
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

yellow ribbon

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:19 pm

rename it then for VERDUN-edition

Boomer, you have my support, reading about CK2 i figured they have new graphic but for 8 years never solved the problems, we need AGEOD to iron it out (getting a vengeful attribute aside of my avatar muhahahahaha)
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

PhilThib

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Kensai wrote:Considering that this is a French software house and we are two years away from the 100th anniversary of the Great War, the only big project I expect in the next couple of years is the AGEOD treating of World War I! :w00t:

I would love to see AJE characteristics in it, meaning mainly a detailed and bug free war game using the latest iteration of the AGE engine and a beefed-up AI, with limited (but not non-existent!) administration and economic decisions that may influence the outcomes. It could be mainly focused on warfare in Europe but a world map would really make it shine! Obviously, I would expect versions with "extra" stuff for the dedicated AGEOD patrons, including a "Field Marshal" version with everything but the kitchen sink! :thumbsup:

As mentionned many times, the main weakness of the engine right now is that it does not handle well static fronts warfare....try to have a go at Drang Nach Osten (1921 in RUS) and you'll get the point...once this major point is solved, then a WW1 game becomes possible........ :bonk:

yellow ribbon

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:35 pm

PhilThib wrote:As mentionned many times, the main weakness of the engine right now is that it does not handle well static fronts warfare....try to have a go at Drang Nach Osten (1921 in RUS) and you'll get the point...once this major point is solved, then a WW1 game becomes possible........ :bonk:

easy solved, restrict it to the french front for a six week scenario and no static front will appear, should work for WW2 either (kidding with bad sense of humor)
...not paid by AGEOD.

however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:15 pm

PhilThib wrote:As mentionned many times, the main weakness of the engine right now is that it does not handle well static fronts warfare....try to have a go at Drang Nach Osten (1921 in RUS) and you'll get the point...once this major point is solved, then a WW1 game becomes possible........ :bonk:

Well, it certainly does a good job of it for the fort garrisons in AACW. Those damn inactivated garrisons drive a grand strategist crazy! What smart general would want that many good troops locked down in far off forts doing nothing but eating peanuts and getting trench foot?

That's one more plus I see to the AJE map. There seems to be a lot more activated field units, but not enough to overwhelm.

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:16 pm

1. War of the roses (middle age in England)
2. Mexican revolution 1912 andale compadres ! yee aahh !
3. War of sucession of Spain

forget WWI or II, In my humble opinion : Ageod best speciality : the forgotten conflicts with many factions and chaotic situations ! (Civil Wars)

:thumbsup:
[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

beuckelssen

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:48 pm

FENRIS wrote:1. War of the roses (middle age in England)
2. Mexican revolution 1912 andale compadres ! yee aahh !
3. War of sucession of Spain

forget WWI or II, In my humble opinion : Ageod best speciality : the forgotten conflicts with many factions and chaotic situations ! (Civil Wars)

But none of those games will sell as good as the WWI one. If solve the static fronts weakness is not too difficult and cost in time, I think that the WW1 game is a great idea. But also I would like pbem for more that 3 players.... in this and in any future Ageod game. At least 4! :p oke:

Laruku
General of the Army

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:17 pm

There should be a PON 1914 GC scenario. The files are there...

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:54 pm

beuckelssen wrote:But none of those games will sell as good as the WWI one. If solve the static fronts weakness is not too difficult and cost in time, I think that the WW1 game is a great idea. But also I would like pbem for more that 3 players.... in this and in any future Ageod game. At least 4! :p oke:

I respect your choice, it's also true that's i'm not interested in WWI. But I think no so much players would be interested in million and million units, and little strategic choice.

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

wosung

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:56 am

Apart from what each of us individually may dream of, may I ask the 2 Phils,

- are there plans for a next Ageod game (apart from the AJE game, its future extensions by extern experts, apart from patching PON, apart from the european map project and apart from the extern Spanish Civil War project)?
- when will there be news about what to expect in the future?
- what is in the pipline from the Agoed core team next?

Best regards

Warsage
Colonel

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 am

Thirty Years War, a conflict that devastated Europe, emptied the kingdoms of men and kings coffers of money and upset the balance of power hitherto prevailing. With núltiples powers involved, driven by very different motivations: political, religious, economic, etc..
[color="#FFA07A"]Las vallas nunca serán lo bastante altas si al otro lado hay hambre.[/color]

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Warsage wrote:Thirty Years War, a conflict that devastated Europe, emptied the kingdoms of men and kings coffers of money and upset the balance of power hitherto prevailing. With núltiples powers involved, driven by very different motivations: political, religious, economic, etc..

[/I]

DanSez
Sergeant

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:24 pm

I think a good money maker would be the era of rise and fall of the Judean state - 1200-600 BCE. You could branch that off into Hittites vs Egyptians, Assyarian, Babylonian, Persian expansion thru the Levant. Lots of area for expansion on a core game.

I'd like to see a game about irregular warfare/small unit warfare like the Boer War and the WWI actions around Africa - all those could be in the same game.

But the best stroke would be a revamped and improved American Civil War game.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:27 am

Kensai wrote:Considering that this is a French software house and we are two years away from the 100th anniversary of the Great War, the only big project I expect in the next couple of years is the AGEOD treating of World War I! :w00t:

+100,000 :thumbsup:

Return to “General discussions”