danfrodo
Conscript

new player, can't make legion no campus martius??

Fri May 08, 2020 6:57 pm

Hey all, finally got around to playing this game. Learning fast and having some fun! 60 turns in I have all of "Italy" except far NW provinces. But I am stuck on one thing: I don't have a campus martius in Rome so I can't get legions. I had the option in Campania early in the game to build a campus martius but it's useless since it won't offer me legions there.'

What am I doing wrong & how do I get legions?

Carthage is getting stronger every year and I can't take them on w/o legions. Thanks for any tips on this

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: new player, can't make legion no campus martius??

Sat May 09, 2020 11:15 pm

In my Carthage campaign, I took Latium where the CM was and the Romans could still build Legions. So you can't build Legions anywhere?
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

danfrodo
Conscript

Mon May 11, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi all, that was my first run at the big campaign and only 2nd time playing, so disregard. Not sure what was wrong but re-started from beginning and all went well. Until ~250BC when my rapidly expanding, beautiful, wonderful, perfect empire blew completely up in just a couple years. Slave revolt takes Rome, followed by civil war w two crazy powerful usurpers. OUCH, game over!

But went to forum for tips & watched more videos, so I see I missed some big issues that were building up. So I'll be starting over and will be a little smartere this time.

wrlertola
Corporal

Tue May 12, 2020 4:32 am

The Campus Martius is a wonder and cannot be built and also is indestructible so you should always be able to build the standard legions in Latium/Rome (can build anywhere in the province if you've made Italia Superior province but they'll show up in Latium regardless of where you might have "raised" the legion(s)).
If you've gotten the Marian Reform which unlocks Legion Camps which allow you to build the upgraded legions in places other than Latium/Rome in the military buildings section.
This can then upgrade to Imperial Legion Camps once you've become an Empire and get the event that triggers it. This one requires the event triggered and Regional Roads (T2 military) as prerequisites.

danfrodo
Conscript

Tue May 12, 2020 3:24 pm

Thanks for those tips, I would never have known about the legion camps or other items. I plan to play as Rome again (and again) until I take over the map, or most of it. Then I'll move on to play as Carthage, Seleucids, et al. My main game is Combat Mission which is very unforgiving of poor practices, like FOGE.

wrlertola
Corporal

Thu May 14, 2020 12:40 am

danfrodo wrote:Thanks for those tips, I would never have known about the legion camps or other items. I plan to play as Rome again (and again) until I take over the map, or most of it. Then I'll move on to play as Carthage, Seleucids, et al. My main game is Combat Mission which is very unforgiving of poor practices, like FOGE.

I think you'll find Carthage very interesting after playing Rome, its a completely different style. Have fun! :D

danfrodo
Conscript

Mon May 18, 2020 4:29 pm

I would've never thought losing would be so fun - seriously! 2nd try at Rome I got over 100 years in. Civil war broke out, I almost managed to contain it but the usurper seemed to be able to get slaves who revolted to join his army. I couldn't keep up with the numbers. Now on 3rd try as Rome. I am staying w Rome while I learn because I have a lot to learn and when I play as Carthage or Macedon or Persia I want to be more skilled. I am losing on EASY level, LOL.

I'll be getting the Persia DLC immediately as I've been reading lots of history & historical fiction on that era (Christian Cameran, Ben Kane). Can't wait!

wrlertola
Corporal

Thu May 21, 2020 11:48 pm

I usually try to hold off becoming an empire for as long as possible because of the civil wars, over 250 turns in on my latest game with Rome but its a matter of time before I make the switch, maybe after I consolidate what I am taking from Carthage in southern Spain in the current war. Got my northern and northeastern neighbors as client states (Rhaeti, Arverni, Helvetii and Dalmatia) as well as Syracuse who owns its region (conquered and gifted them Melita and the western tip of Sicily region -forgot the name). Hoping the upgrade to 1.3 doesn't cause chaos though a bit of chaos is a bit of fun :-)

I picked up the Persia DLC this morning and played around with it a bit (around 35 turns) as Rome just to see what the difference would be and it sure was different... start as a client state of the Etruscans with only Latium. Was able to nip off Tiberius and Aternus after the Etruscans took out their independent field armies and didn't continue to siege after a turn or two. Got a regional decision that gave me a pair of Italian Foot units so I had something that could siege finally, denounced client status and went to war with Samnium after they hurt themselves with a few failed raids and took them out. Its nice to not be getting raided by them LOL (Lucanians now instead). Etruscans went nuts expanding north and east into the Balkans but it looks like they've worn themselves out and might be ripe for the plucking. You're gonna like the DLC, the perks and impediments are interesting as well as the regional decisions.

Pocus

Fri May 22, 2020 3:49 pm

Cool, thanks for your report, and in particular in this forum which needs more life! :)

danfrodo
Conscript

Fri May 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Latest report: on try #3 as Rome. I am finally understanding this game. Turn 137 (174BC), leading in legacy and w CDR around 1.25. I have all of Italy, southern Gaul, half of Iberia, Sicily/Malta/Sardina/Balares. Not bad. Except I have defeated 3 times on Corsica when I massively outnumber the inhabitants -- not worth the casualties, those Corsicans are just too much trouble for such a poor island.

Next I plan to take on the Iberii who hold all of NW Iberia, which I think will be very difficult given the terrain and the opposition. I am hoping to ally with Saguntem & Lusitania who hold the rest of Iberia to Gibralter. If this works then my flanks would be reasonably safe for a push into either Gaul or N Africa.

Oh, and I bought Persia module, thanks for making that. Unfortunately my day job will keep me from playing it for a week or so.

wrlertola
Corporal

Tue May 26, 2020 4:36 am

In my expansion game playing as Rome I got a surprising and pleasant shock. I had taken over both Italia Superior & Italia Inferior and was preparing to prosecute war against Rhaetia and its client state Insubre (Rhaetia declared it) and had lots of citizen hoplites (city defender bonus) as garrisons - two in every city I owned.
I then got the message about building a Campus Martius in order to get early legions from the Senate. Well... I'd already built the Campus Martius much earlier in Rome/Latium though it was available in other places for construction also (thought that was a bit odd but if you'd lost Latium it made sense). The next turn the mission was accomplished and...
:party: :coeurs: BOOM! :coeurs: :party:
All 32 of my citizen hoplites (26 were garrisons) and two armored hoplites became Early Roman Legions!
First thought was. "Nice!"
Second one was, "Oh crap, that's gonna cost a lot in maintenance!"
Luckily my economy is okay and absorbed it.
Persia is kicking butt in the east. I'll see if I can get a screenshot and post it later tonight when I get home from work.
I've gotten the mission to increase loyalty in Latium to 110 three times and failed all three, ain't gonna happen for a while longer LOL.

requesttop
Civilian

Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:36 pm

I would never have known about the legion camps or other items. I plan to play as Rome again (and again) until I take over the map, or most of it.
mobdro 2022
Last edited by requesttop on Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pilumacop
Civilian

Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:07 am

I played field of glory : Empires, for new player inVanced Manager APK starting it may got in some troubles. After logging in it game runs smoothly.

pacecreds
Civilian

Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:27 pm

Oh, and I bought Persia module, thanks for making that. Unfortunately my day job will keep me from playing it for a week or so.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”