Temgesic
Lieutenant

See how many soldiers in an army...

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi!

I was wondering if it possible in some way to mod in the amount of soldiers each unit holds.
Just like in the good old AJE days. For me it gives a greatly enchanced experience of the game, as if tfeels that im moving an army as big as a city.

There must be more out there who are thinking in the same directions as me?
Let's start a poll about it? ;)

Come on! :pouet: :dada:

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Re: See how many soldiers in an army...

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:40 am

So many views, but no one has any input on this matter?
Strange indeed...

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Pocus answered this point in an another thread. Basically its a good idea that demands programming time to implement.

You can make some rough and ready guesses - since a heavy/medium infantry unit is around 5,000 men (a legion), call a cavalry or light infantry unit 2,500 ... good enough.

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Yeah i know he answered this point in the other thread i made.
And i know you have to prioritize certain things when you make something out of scratch.

But however he said that if it's enough people who want that feature back, it might be put in to consideration.

And of course i could do as you said a legion "5000 men" alae around "5000 men" and so on etc etc.
But it was something, especially for me when you pushed down CTRL in AJE/BOR/HAN and the other AGEOD games
and saw how many troops you actually moved around the map.

I suggest a poll to see how many who would like this little but big immersion feature back.

Cabbage Jack
Conscript

Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:50 am

I would consider it a good use of programming time. It's definitely more immersive and 'fun' for me to see the raw numbers sizes of armies.

Don Powell
Sergeant

Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:32 pm

+1 on this - coupled with traditional AGEOD classic unit / leader stands as an option.

Add (via paid DLC) some additional minor nations / tribes not covered and some adds to dev / politics and my Steam wallet will be pointed in AGEOD's direction.

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:07 am

We are all about a couple of people who would like the raw numbers!

Now how do implentet it? Hard programmig, etc etc?
What would you say Pocus?

Pocus

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:03 am

Some programming time, but also I need to get some stamps of approval as I'm not alone on the project!

I'll be keeping this feature as something to do, but there are so many things to do that I can't promise when or even if it is done... But don't lose faith... I like it too.

Don Powell
Sergeant

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Thanks Tamgesic for bringing this up and Pocus for giving it some consideration.

Pocus - considering that options for traditional AGEOD unit stands and this raw unit number function seem to have significant support, are they likely to be seen as core elements for future use / releases from this engine?

Or are there "powers that be" that urge you to shy away from such features ?

Pocus

Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:09 pm

A bit of both. Adding anything related to UI must be somehow justified versus 'perceived added clutter' you know. But perhaps I can sneak it as some point, if I find a method to not be intrusive to players not wanting it.

Don Powell
Sergeant

Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:18 pm

Good to know - thanks.

To me, counters always represented an "elegant", at a glance, interface element.

Looking at Fury Software's projects, it seems that they have full Publisher backing to offer both sprites and counters as options.

Players love options rather than being forced into narrow conditions for elements that matter.

Units - being some of the main gears of the playing interface seem like a valid "big rock".

Actual soldier numbers roots the game play a bit more to historical accounts folks have read about.

After all, only losing 400 points of combat power as opposed to 50,000 men, is not likely to deeply invest / immerse a player and create an effective "stake".

In either case - thanks for continuing to listen.

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:59 am

Don Powell wrote:Good to know - thanks.

To me, counters always represented an "elegant", at a glance, interface element.

Looking at Fury Software's projects, it seems that they have full Publisher backing to offer both sprites and counters as options.

Players love options rather than being forced into narrow conditions for elements that matter.

Units - being some of the main gears of the playing interface seem like a valid "big rock".

Actual soldier numbers roots the game play a bit more to historical accounts folks have read about.

After all, only losing 400 points of combat power as opposed to 50,000 men, is not likely to deeply invest / immerse a player and create an effective "stake".

In either case - thanks for continuing to listen.

That's exactly what i mean :hat: Because it is a HUGE factor as the post above to see after a battle "You lose 400CP" instead of you lose " 23498 men, 3453 horses, 394 wagons etc etc"

Everybody must agree on that?

I was fairly surprised that noone had taken this question up yet so i took it as my crusade :dada:

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:16 pm

I agree Temgesic.

Numbers of soldiers is how battle reports and campaign reports are written.

This, I've just looked up Cannae:

Armies:

Carthage: 50,000:
32,000 heavy infantry,
8,000 light infantry,
10,000 cavalry

Rome: 86,400:
40,000 Roman infantry,
40,000 allied infantry,
2,400 Roman cavalry,
4,000 allied cavalry

Casualties and losses:

Killed Carthage:
5,700 (Polybius)

4,000 Gallic
1,500 Spanish and African
200 cavalry

Rome (per Polybius:

70,000 infantry killed
5,630 cavalry killed
10,000 infantry captured

No mention of combat power ! (sorry I can't format those numbers but I am sure you can look it up on wikipedia)

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”