Lucasiewicz
Private

Ideas on Provinces, population growth and immersion

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:54 pm

First of all, once again my compliments for this excellent game. I've been enjoying it immensely so far. It's been a couple of years since I played a game so fondly as this one. I'm loving every minute I spent on it. Even more, it has me so hooked, I'm constantly thinking about it and it's got me making forum posts. As you can see, I haven't made much forum posts though I've been a forum-member for quite some time :siffle: So, I thought about sharing my reflections on the game, as I feel Pocus really has an listening ear for it's community. I will be making some regular posts here, because this forum's a bit more quite than it's Slitherine counterpart and certainly the Steam forums. I fear my posts will get overlooked there. This place seems more ripe for some serious contemplating and discussion.

I was already thinking about making a topic on Provinces, their resource pooling, buildings and population growth, when earlier this afternoon I stumbled on a topic on the Slitherine-forum in which the OP stated that pop-growth is too fast. From a historical point of view that is obviously the case. But a purely historical simulation would often make for a quite boring game. Here's a link to my reply, because from this point onwards, I will continue this post assuming you read my reply: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 65#p798413

What I was thinking of that ties in with this topic, and something that would make for a bigger diversity in possible play-styles, is a possible, optional, change to the way resources are pooled and redistributed in provinces. From what I've gathered so far, the pooled resources are redistributed quite evenly among the regions, stimulating an even growth among it's regions. What if, you could choose to have a provincial/regional focus? Stimulating, favouring the growth of one region in the province? In a heavily, city-state oriented world such as the Mediterranean at that time, it would certainly make sense, at least for some factions. This idea can offcourse be further refined, because some tweaking (mainly to buildings) might be necessary to optimise greater variations in population density.

It would allow for some more and greater diversity (away from some of the arcadiness-feel; see my other post), which might have become my main goal this afternoon :dada:

Cabbage Jack
Conscript

Re: Ideas on Provinces, population growth and immersion

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:32 am

That is a really solid idea! Being able to drive development in a preferred region within a province would really be a great feature!

Pocus

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:11 am

Thanks for the good words!

In practice, infrastructure pooling allows you to concentrate your efforts on a given region. Only regions building something will use infrastructure, but all can contribute.

In the same trend, you can have an agriculture region produces a lot of food, and this can benefit another region.

Lucasiewicz
Private

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:54 am

I agree that for infrastructure you can allready control it. Like you said you can just abstain from building in the other regions and that works sufficiently to focus on the one region you want to build.

I was mostly thinking about food distribution. That's something you can't influence right now. I've built up quite some food processing in my Africa region, but the effect of that is that nearly all my other regions are now as crowded as Carthage/Tunes. I can post a screen of the situation after +-70 turns into the game. I feel like I want to sent more to Carthage and less to the surrounding regions. You have this spacing out effect I think because it takes more food for denser regions to grow then less urbanised regions. So they grow faster and end up getting the same amount more or less after redistributing.

hojoos
Civilian

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:50 pm

I do not think that the population will stop to grow. And even if it happens, I do not believe it will happen due to low fertility. It is easier to agree that there will be more natural disasters that will lead to a population decrease. During 20 years of the current century, there is not even a hint that there will be fewer people on the globe soon https://populationstat.com/united-state ... do-springs. And the statistics prove it.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”