Spaceface
Conscript

Obeservations about battles

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:57 pm

Let me first say that I really love this game! It feels very well polished and balanced and I really love the mechanics and gameplay.

Today while playing I noticed that in defensive battles urban militia seem to get priority in the second line over skirmishers and archers. Because of this instead of defending territory in important battles, I am forced to withdraw to avoid a battle I would otherwise win.

There are some other units that gets placed less then optimally aswell but I would say those are more easy to mitigate/play around.

I was wondering if anyone else experienced this issue?

Pocus

Re: Obeservations about battles

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:28 am

For a first post, quite a sound remark! Indeed that's an issue, I'll make a note of that.

Lucasiewicz
Private

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:42 am

Something I noticed that would make things more optimal, but this would be purely gamewise, as it's not really historical to my knowledge, but more the result of how the game-mechanics work and how attributes are given. That said, in offensive battles it's more beneficial to place large beast, War Elephants, in the centre facing the opposing elite heavy infantry.

That said, I can live with them not being in the centre battleline, as that's not were they would have been anyway. At least not in the Carthaginian battlelines. They were more used in front of the infantry, spread out evenly from flank to flank as a first line of attack. They were not grouped in to dense battlegroups. I have no idea how the Seleucids or the Mauryans went about using them though.

Spaceface
Conscript

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:53 am

Pocus wrote:For a first post, quite a sound remark! Indeed that's an issue, I'll make a note of that.

Thank you! :) I will try to see if I can make more of them.

Lucasiewicz wrote:Something I noticed that would make things more optimal, but this would be purely gamewise, as it's not really historical to my knowledge, but more the result of how the game-mechanics work and how attributes are given. That said, in offensive battles it's more beneficial to place large beast, War Elephants, in the centre facing the opposing elite heavy infantry.

I find Carthegian War Elephants to be a tricky proposition regardless....they are situationally useful in arid terrain. But generally as Carthage, especially on higher difficulty levels you don't want to take much (poor) arid terrain. The combination of low ranged defense (3) & health (1) makes it alot harder for them to build up experience and quite vulnerable to rng (especially roman legions crush them).

Another observation I had was that while "desertmen" trait also gives your units a bonus in desert terrain it only shows arid terrain in the unit tooltip.

Lucasiewicz
Private

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:33 pm

Just stay on the offensive with elephants and take the fight to the right terrain and I will gladly let them face Roman Legions. Supported with the right general they consistently roll higher values, so I don't really worry about the 1 HP on the offensive.

Defensive battles is what you have to worry about with those giant beasts! Take the fight to Rome ;-)

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”