Pocus

Empires Tip #2: Embrace the darkness!

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:39 pm

In Empires, as you know, culture and decadence are pivotal concepts. It is expected that your nation will have highs and lows, and perhaps even a few civil wars.

And so, you'll often face decadence in your regions. This is tuned in a way that if your regions grow big, then you'll need to raise loyalty through the use of big loyalty boosting buildings, that also generate decadence.

On this point, you can either works with the system, or go against. I advise going with it! Because some players, being probably accustomed to others games, will try to not have decadence at all in their regions. This is not optimal, because loyalty can't be maintained correctly (if you have large regions) with buildings generating no decadence.

Perhaps they think they are playing a green economy in Civilization where there is no pollution at all. That's a wrong parallel, because, and this is the main point of this advice, decadence is relative to others nations.
You can have a lot of decadence, and still, you can do fine, because others too have some decadence. As long as you are in the top third, you are good!

It's like the joke: "if you are in a group and are pursued by a lion, you don't need to be the fastest. You just need to not be the slowest!".

Also, added tip, regional decadence is shaved off by 10% each turn in each region. It means that you will not accumulate an infinite amount of decadence in a region, but only ten time your decadence production.

So ... embrace the darkness and play with the system! Not against it...

You can be fine even with regions generating a lot of decadence. Also, when you grow big, decadence from buildings is less a problem than decadence from size...

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Empires Tip #2: Embrace the darkness!

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:33 pm

this is a very useful tip. I had been avoiding building anything that created decadence, but understand the error of my ways, and will go with the system.

Thank you for this most useful tip, Pocus.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:20 pm

A player pretty much has to build everything that gives loyalty. If not, then he will have really poor loyalty regardless of his decadence. I don't mean at the start, though. But as your regions get more populated, you need every single point of loyalty available.

Pocus

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:30 pm

That's true if your population is in the forty or more, but then it means you have probably too many slaves!

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”