allan_boa
Colonel

Books about this period

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:54 pm

Hi, could you guys recommand a few good books about the period covered by the game ?
I'm interested in books in both English and French.
Thanks

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Books about this period

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:39 pm

Its a bit dated but Wallbank The Hellenistic World (1981) is excellent on the Diadochi and their model of governance and interactions.

Polybius in the Penguin Classics series The Rise of the Roman Republic - the chosen selection mostly focuses on the Punic Wars and the Second Macedonian war. Its far more readable than Livy over the same material.

Again Penguin Classics, Cicero Selected Works, as good on the internal dynamics of the late Republic as anything i've read.

Catullus poems, again Penguin Classics, utterly filthy, just the thing to get your average 16 year old interested in learning Latin, also surprisingly good insights into the late Republic/early Empire.

Robert Graves I, Claudius, Claudius the God, ok fiction but still a good read and covers the period up to 68AD very well.

Tacitus - various but his life of Agricola is a really interesting study of Roman Britain from 70-90AD, and the Histories covers the civil war of 67-70AD.

Mary Beard's SPQR is a good general history of Rome.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:04 pm

Age of Conquests: The Greek World from Alexander to Hadrian (History of the Ancient World)

Angelos Chaniotis

https://www.amazon.com/Age-Conquests-Al ... 0674659643

deguerra
Major

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:31 am

I found the book SPQR by Mary Beard an excellent (relatively) short look into Rome :thumbsup:

-deguerra

allan_boa
Colonel

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks guys ! Will have a look and pick one or two books ! :)

Morgan
Corporal

Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:24 am

Bumping the thread to tell about a trilogy of books that I am enjoying at the moment:

1. The Rise of the Seleukid Empire: 323–223 BC
  2. The Seleukid Empire of Antiochus III, 223–187 BC
  3. The Fall of the Seleukid Empire, 187–75 BC

The Seleucid (or Seleukid as the author spells it) Empire doesn't get much historical attention compared to other nations in the Mediterranean, partly because of a dearth of sources, but this series of books by John Grainger helps fill in the gaps.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”