Don Powell
Sergeant

Will Units only be Giants ? Or will AGEOD Style Units be an Option?

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:04 am

The new screens look good - but I was a little concerned that I only saw "Giant" unit figures representing units on the strategic map.

Can units also use the more traditional AGEOD style like in PON or WON ?

For me, the "giants" thing really hurts immersion for the game. I actually had to refund Aggressors Ancient Rome recently - as the "feel" of the game was not satisfactory.

anibal barca
Lieutenant

Re: Will Units only be Giants ? Or will AGEOD Style Units be an Option?

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:58 pm

of course these figures remove the immersive, serious and adult aspect, comparing with other games of other companies that have never had the historical rigor and seriousness in strategy games and rather these figures are more for teenagers and casual players and not for serious people lover of history and high strategy.
this new ageod game also has other things that make lose realism, immersion and historical fidelity, as the graphic representation of the units, the different types of units and historical composition of the armies, I am afraid that we will see roman armies of the republic plagued by archers, cavalry and units of any kind, if these aberrations such as the strategic map, battles, units among many other things are going to be in the game, we will see an arcade game type risk, where a barbarian tribe can conquer all of europe, without historical events , military reforms and others.
i was expecting an aje 2 with new graphics, a new battle system, better AI, even more variety in historical, general units and more immersive and historical aspects.

Don Powell
Sergeant

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:17 am

That is what I was hoping for - an AJE with more development and diplomacy.

Maybe that is what it will be like but with immersion breaking Giants on the strategic map and FOG 2 "pop out" battles.

I'll not keep a total negative mindset and will wait to see what AGEOD come up with - since they did not let me down with EAW, WON or PON so far ....

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:45 am

Yes have to agree with the former posters I was hoping for an AJE2 style or something like it was in the old gmae Pax Romana, where different parties in rome where present and elections for the different magistrates where held every year, a senate where things have to pass through and senators and eques being there to recruit or being recruited waway from your faction. It also had a strong part in commerce and military actions and cards could be played for various things in military, politics, commerce or administration.

Man if I would have unlimited money I would fund the devs to complete this old gem and clear out the bugs coming up while playing longer ...

Nevertheless hoping for the best as AGEOD normaly don't let down their customers completely regarding historical immersion ...

Pocus

Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:01 am

I can understand your concerns gents, but really the game even if not AJE and not as much grognard as the AGEOD games have many things to offer to strategy players.

There are several features that are not in AJE. For example there is the whole cycle (you can break it with good management) of progress and decadence, with nations collapsing and others re-surging. Your nation is governed by a ruler with abilities (or a political party), this gives some real nice personality to your empire.

The economic development is much deeper than anything AJE had to offer also. You get dozens of buildings, some themed to nations and ethnicity. You have a whole fun gameplay on how to get the best synergy from different buildings.

You can also form provinces, and they add additional bonus to gameplay, while optionally (and we won't force you here) to reduce micro management.

Armies should be historically themed. You'll see the expected legions, phalanx, horse archers, elephants. Indeed, we use the very common way of showing armies, with 'giants'. This is an abstraction, and even if you are not too fond of it, don't throw of the baby with the water bath just because of that. See the gameplay of the game, before all. We are not making Risk or Axis and Allies in Ancient Time, that would be a very unfair statement. This is still Ageod. You'll get units abilities, frontage, supply, leadership, harbor blockade, siege, and siege breach, WEGO, etc. Is that casual, really?

And an added plus, the AI is as competent as Athena, while being super fast, like (on my admittedly powerful computer) 15 seconds to run a turn. Is that not great compared to the 3 mn of AJE?

We are doing our best here, this is a new engine, a new game. But still, this is a very deep strategy game. Keep your mind open, accept there are changes to AGEOD gameplay, but with interesting and novel twists.

Don Powell
Sergeant

Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:00 pm

Thanks for the clarifications Pocus.

Based on PON, WON and EAW - AGEOD has good credit with me and I am willing to keep an open mind.

Any chance down the road, perhaps as a feature in DLC etc where we might be able to switch to traditional AGEOD unit stands ?

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:30 pm

Pocus, I also appreciate the explanation, which is getting me even more excited about this game.

Don Powell, thank you for your willingness to try the game on its own merits.

For myself, I have accepted that some of the things I love the most about Ageod games will be treated in a different, maybe less detailed manner. I am not a fan of the giant figures, either. Yet, as Pocus has pointed out, this game includes a lot of detail, processes turns much faster, and offers more detail in some areas.For example, it offers a way to fight very historically themed historical battles in a way that no previous AGEOD game ever did.

And I remember, when I first played Birth of a Nation so many years ago, it took me awhile to get used to Giant faces roaming the map. In time, I grew to love them.

PHilthib and Pocus, who I consider to be the best historical game development team of all time, have spent over three years working on this new system. In view of all the great gaming pleasure they have given me in the past, I feel that I owe it to them to give the new system a fair chance, and to approach it with an open mind. I am very excited about it, and expect to be delighted with the new system. I intend to buy it the same day it comes out.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:54 am

One thing at least the new game has accomplished already: to waken the spirits of the forum of old. :mdr:

Don Powell
Sergeant

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:55 pm

Yep - I am pretty new here - but by the post history, it seems to be getting lively again.

Pocus - out of curiosity, how much development work would it take to make AGEOD stand style counters available in addition to the Giants?

Would it be possible to add as a feature / selectable option in the future?

(i.e similar to Matrix Strategic Command - where you can choose between NATO counters and sprites)

Pocus

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:42 am

I'm not the one doing the 'graphical aspect' of the engine. i.e there is a talented Canadian developer, Andrew, who is handling this stuff, dealing with maths, rendering, directX and all such things I dislike compared to coding gameplay and AI :D

But I don't think that would be that a big effort, programmatically. You would still get 3D models, but they would look like 2D counters. Because Microsoft DirectX is like that, it is made to run in 3D and only have some legacy 2D functions.

Now, there is also the artist bill to pay on the new graphics.

Bottom line, this is definitively doable, but I don't think it will be done unless the forum starts to speak heavily of that, so to convince the producer and the "Powers From Beyond"* that it would be nice to get.

*: Beyond the wall. The Antonine Wall. The Scots. What, you still don't get it? :sourcil:

Don Powell
Sergeant

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:51 pm

LOL - Well that Scott is actually from Wales :blink:

Anyways - thanks for the very candid answer.

To My Fellow AGEOD Community Players:

Can we get some "+ 1s" on adding an option for using traditional style AGEOD counters?

I'll start the charity at home:

+ 1

Nikel

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:54 pm

I also prefer the good old boardgame looking, for the map and units.

But I'm afraid it is gone forever :(

Stratman
Captain

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 pm

Nikel wrote:I also prefer the good old boardgame looking, for the map and units.
But I'm afraid it is gone forever :(

I don`t think so :)
My +1 either

This is classic good looking style, traditional & recognizable for AGEod.

.... or it will be externally similar to other games :crying:

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:49 am

Me too +1 for the old AGEOD-Counters :-))

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:10 am

Pocus wrote:...
*: Beyond the wall. The Antonine Wall. The Scots. What, you still don't get it? :sourcil:

but I am only asking for Nessie to be included in the game ... or do you mean the other Scots?

deguerra
Major

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:33 am

Definitely a +1 on the old style counters for me.

I think it's important to keep an open mind and to embrace some innovation, and as such I wouldn't advocate having one or the other - but to have the option to switch back to those nice old counters would definitely be nice.

-deguerra

khbynum
Major

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:05 pm

If I judge the scale right, those giants have their heads in the stratosphere. It must be hard to breathe.

Seriously, if the game is released with only those unit graphics, there is zero chance I will buy it. I'm a grown man, not a teeny-bopper. :papy:

srd5090
Civilian

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:16 pm

khbynum wrote:If I judge the scale right, those giants have their heads in the stratosphere. It must be hard to breathe.

Seriously, if the game is released with only those unit graphics, there is zero chance I will buy it. I'm a grown man, not a teeny-bopper. :papy:

Your attitude and fickle/picky standard is more in line with a toddler than a grown man OR a teeny-bopper. :niark:

The map is using 3D space and thus 3D objects to represent things. A square counter the size of a city or province on the map is no more 'adult' than 3D figures. Having the option is nice, but its bizarre to me it could be deal-breaker for someone. The new engine is a boon. The old engine, even on good computers, ran like garbage based on processor.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Gee, I guess those ridiculous horse heads and little towers should be replaced in Chess. The whole set from pawns to King should each get the equivalent 2-D NATO symbol for a replacement. Gentlemen, I'm retired Army and 63 years old. I have no problem using the symbolic miniatures that no doubt Alexander or Caesar used 2 millennia ago to represent movable forces on their battle maps. How better to create that feeling of immersion in the classical era?
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Plus one.

I do prefer the old style counters, I think it would be nice of Slitherine to include that option.

But I will buy the game regardless, because it has so many interesting features, and because it is the new Ageod system and I want to support Philthib and Pocus, who have done so much to enrich my gaming life over so many years.

Stratman
Captain

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:24 pm

The chance that counters will be replaced is close to zero. At least because of the budget.
However, I hope that in future games AGEod will return to classic style.

Nevertheless, my +1 already put above.
Of course I`ll buy a new game for sure and do this in the first day

Lebo44
Civilian

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:13 am

SMikh wrote:The chance that counters will be replaced is close to zero. At least because of the budget.

Pocus wrote:Now, there is also the artist bill to pay on the new graphics..

1998 - We cannot afford sophisticated 3D models. We will stick to simple counters.
2018 - We cannot afford simple counters. We will stick to sophisticated 3D models.

The sign of our times... :-)

Don Powell
Sergeant

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:32 pm

The difference with chess and a game like this is that with chess you know that it is full abstraction and is not meant at all to resemble a battlefield or actual troops.

The mixture of chess type pieces with terrain (more realistic than squares) seems incongruous (more than the counters IMO) - especially if they appear as giants. if they were more to scale as unit formations, I could feel better about the presentation.

I also like the counters for better "at a glance" identification of leaders and unit status - so there is also a practical consideration.

Not to say that the "giants" style is "wrong" - (that is up to individual taste) but I believe there is enough interest in at least having an option for the traditional AGEOD counters that we all know and are very fond of.

Strategic Command by Fury software does this option quite well - either style is available "in-game" and serves to satisfy both crowds.

Tarfman
Sergeant

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:46 am

+1 but will buy regardless

Sruba
Private

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:04 am

I've logged in first time in ages, instead silent running through forum only just to post +1. Please, do it the right way. :)

allan_boa
Colonel

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:35 am

+1 counters are definitely looking MUCH better than figurines. Really hope there's a counter's option, similar to counters in old AGEOD games.

Don Powell
Sergeant

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:20 pm

Pocus - Looks like a good response for a counters option ....

Perhaps it could be added as a feature with the first DLC ?

sunseekers
Private

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Can I please add my voice to the protests? :wacko:
I am not fond at all of the 'Giant' unit representations - please can we have the option for traditional Nato-style AGEOD-style counters instead of these more [arcade] style facsimiles? Thank you!

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”