vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Leaders and their traits

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:24 am

I am wondering how leaders are handled in this game.

Will historical leaders be included, or will they be randomly generated?

Will leaders be able to have something like the huge range of traits they had in previous Ageod games, or will they have something else. And if it is different, what types of ratings and trains will leaders have?

Tamas

Re: Leaders and their traits

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Whatever I write is subject to change until release of course, but the historical leaders we have are basically semi-random: during the years of their active period, they have a chance to appear in the game.

Rest of the leaders are randomised of course. They do not have the long list of traits the leaders of older AGEOD games had, but they are still decisive in battles.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Thank you for the information, Pocus.

I am glad to see that there is a chance for historical leaders to appear in the general period they actually were in, as this adds much flavor.

Can you tell us some of the ratings and traits leaders will have?

I do understand that everything is subject to change, and i also understand that what you do mucst be compatible with Field of Glory 2, and excellent game that I play and enjoy regularly.

Though I am an Ageod veteran going all the way back to the original release of BOA, I understand the new system will be very different from the past, and that is fine with me.

I will buy the game on release day, with great anticipation and excitement.

Tamas

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:12 pm

I am Tamas, not Pocus ;)

Presently we do not have traits for military leaders (rulers have them, but leaders do not). They have an attack and a defense rating. These give the units bonus dice during combat and can be decisive when there's a big gap between the opposing leaders.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi Tamas,

I apologize for getting your name wrong. i do not know how it happened. it was not intentional.

I have always appreciated the helpful and thoughtful replies you provide, and wish I had not made that mistake. You have my respect, as always.

Thank you for the information.

regards,

Vaalen

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:50 am

Tamas wrote:Presently we do not have traits for military leaders (rulers have them, but leaders do not). They have an attack and a defense rating.

Traits were at least important for flavor.
Do leaders have historical name? not random (Not so a joke, it's a sudden worry wondering)

Tamas

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:48 am

ERISS wrote:
Tamas wrote:Presently we do not have traits for military leaders (rulers have them, but leaders do not). They have an attack and a defense rating.

Traits were at least important for flavor.
Do leaders have historical name? not random (Not so a joke, it's a sudden worry wondering)

See above on how historical leaders works. By default, the game random-generates leaders since on this strategic scale, knowing which nation gets good/bad leaders would be severly against properly simulating history (hindsight and foresight are not things the player's historical counterparts had). However, for flavour, we did add several historical leaders into the database. These have the chance to arrive sometime during the period they were historically active in. But it's not guaranteed. So, in a game spanning centuries, you can't just bide your time with, say, Carthage, and go all-in when Hannibal appears knowing you'll never have a better leader.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:28 pm

Tamas,

That is an excellent point. No one could predict when a great leader would appear. Yet, great leaders had an enormous effect on the success of many wars, and they did appear from time to toime.

Considering both these factors, i think the approach of having some great historical leaders having a chance to appeara at a random time in the general era where they did appear historically, and to randomize the rest, is a very good approach.

I would prefer leaders to have a few more attributes than just offense and defense ratings, especially a rating that addressed their initiative,, but I do not know how this would fit into the scale of the game, so I will leave it up to the developers as to what they think is best. I am convinced I will very much enjoy the game, either way.

Tamas

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:39 am

And of course due to the randomisation of leaders, a great leader rising from among the random leaders is possible as well, for any countries.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:07 pm

Tamas wrote:And of course due to the randomisation of leaders, a great leader rising from among the random leaders is possible as well, for any countries.

That is excellent news! It really adds some spice to the game, to think that any nation has a chance of generating a great leader.

Offworlder
General

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Will leaders improve their stats by winning battles or possibly by running well a province? Or maybe become decadent because of over indulgence?

KamovHelix
Conscript

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:43 pm

It's true that if we only go with historical great leaders, some countries would be much more proviledged than others, and playing minor powers could become quite boring...

CSS
Lieutenant

Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:40 pm

Do leaders appearing also have bad traits? Like Varus? Do you know up front? Many Empires lost historical battles with incompetent generals!

Pocus

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:36 pm

They can have bad traits, but leaders for now don't develop new traits from their field experience.

Arminius was very good. Varus was not that bad.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:04 pm

Varus also ended up with pretty poor legions, the best troops being sent to crush the rebellion in Dalmatia (a pretty big affair now more or less forgotten). He led a mop up operation with poor troops and fell in what ended up being a clever trap.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”