ned_for_sped
Conscript

Gå–På!: Sweden, Great Northern War PBEM AAR

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:29 am

I present the first extant AAR for WoS, as far as I'm aware. Perhaps there are dozens of fresh-faced AARs out there, waiting anxiously to be posted, stymied by the stern and noble padlock on the AAR subforum. Maybe y'all can unlock it now and move this there?

Unfortunately I'm cobbling it all together on imgur, structured yearly, so it might lack the interactive magic of some of the classic Narwhal and Loki joints. I first encountered AGEOD via their excellent RoP and WiA AARs and have been coming back for more ever since. So this is my way of giving back, much as a child might "give back" a piece of gum to his mother when he's done with it.

so here's 1700: https://imgur.com/a/5sbsFmm

I hope y'all enjoy!

sionnach
Private

Re: Gå–På!: Sweden, Great Northern War PBEM AAR

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:10 am

Aha! Great to see this being posted, I shall follow it with interest.
Thank you!

phoenix
Captain

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:46 am

Excellent AAR. Very into this and look forward to more. Thanks for doing this. It's very helpful also, in terms of tactics etc.

ned_for_sped
Conscript

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:49 pm

Thank you both for your kind words!

Year two, 1701, is here: https://imgur.com/a/J2BXTtt

Little in the way of large battles but I grab myself a significant amount of territory. Heavily damaged Polish-Saxon armies are playing keepaway, as they should be. 1702 is shaping up to be a good bit bloodier.

sionnach
Private

Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:26 pm

Another fine report, I like your writing style too. Looking forward to the continuation!

phoenix
Captain

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:46 pm

Yes, read 1701 already, thanks, and enjoyed. Lots of interesting details and tips, and I will need to read more carefully as I play through. Did the Polish army really miraculously recover? You were allowed a peek at your opponents forces half way through the year and it seemed devastated, but then seemed to quite suddenly grow? Or have I read that wrong?

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:47 pm

Ah, the old fashioned swedish "Gå på andan" :dada: So lovely uniforms and wonderful composed army.
And my home countys regiment Västmanland is there as it should be :)

I enjoyed your AAR very much

ned_for_sped
Conscript

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:30 am

Thanks all for your attention!

1702 here: https://imgur.com/a/hz3oi8M

So far this one cuts off in October. I'm still waiting for my opponent to run November, he's been on vacation, but I've had this ready for a while and see no harm in posting it. Given the events of 1702, I imagine he's not all that gung ho to carry on but he's admirably toughed it out so far. We may end up restarting, unfortunate for the AAR but it will be more fun to face a prepared foe anyway.

I plan to do one for the main Spanish Succession campaign against elxaime whenever this one is through. We're currently running a kind-of practice game, I'm holding my own as Bourbons but hubris saw me lose some 15 national morale in a single turn, attacking Prussians in Mainz and defending in Milan. I won the field in both cases but at terrible cost. Interesting close-quarters dynamics in that campaign, much different from the Great Northern War.

Phoenix; the main Polish army never recovered to more than half its original strength from what I saw this year. They have a few stacks scattered throughout Poland at the war's start though, I don't know how exactly Tyler had them arranged, whether he brought most of them to Lithuania or what. I tried not to look too hard at his dispositions when he gave me the go-ahead to load his turn.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:27 am

WooHoo, was getting concerned that we might not see 1702. Thank you.

-C

sionnach
Private

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:40 am

An excellent read once again. Thanks!

Liberty Bell
Captain

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:17 pm

This is a fantastic AAR. It shows how good this historical wargame is.
Very realistic timing when Charles moving for Warsaw in mid 1702.
Thank you for doing this :hat:

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:37 pm

ned_for_sped wrote:Thanks all for your attention!.

Jag antar att du är svensk?

If your opponent admit defeat and you have noone to play a PBEM with i gladly step up and fill in the shoes and go to war against you! Just tell me if you want to play.

I usually hang out here but mainly at The Wargaming Club´s Slack department :)

ned_for_sped
Conscript

Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:21 am

I appreciate the encouragement everybody, thank you. I'm glad this has been helpful and hope it's been entertaining as well.

Tyler and I have decided to call it a game here. Basically every risk I've taken has swung my way, while Tyler's AGEOD experience bit him with the inconsistency in supply rules between games, and as a result he's been on the back foot since winter 1700. Tyler's a busy guy, and I can't ask him to continue to sink time into what seems to be an irredeemable position just for the sake of my war journal. When we get around to another campaign, we'll start fresh. With that said, if anyone would like to take on a challenge and try to turn things around for the Anti Swedish Coalition, I still have the files.

Liberty Bell wrote:Very realistic timing when Charles moving for Warsaw in mid 1702.

It's incredible how quick that army was, historically. iirc I hit Warsaw in 1704 in my first campaign vs AI. Not sure I could have kept this 1702 timetable if Tyler's armies had been healthy, it's probably too ambitious in normal circumstances. With the benefit of hindsight I think I could've made the Danzig-Thorn route work too, which is good because it gives the Swedes ahistorical options.

Temgesic wrote:Jag antar att du är svensk?

If your opponent admit defeat and you have noone to play a PBEM with i gladly step up and fill in the shoes and go to war against you! Just tell me if you want to play.

Nope, I'm American. I'm also looking for another opponent now, either to continue this game or start a new one, will PM you.

sionnach
Private

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:10 am

Shame it came to an end so soon, but of course I understand, thank for the reports you took the trouble to put together!

Looking forward for more.

Return to “Wars of Succession”