HHFD50
Captain

The Bourbons

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:42 pm

Having played through Beta, and now a few games against the AI and PBEM, I have to ask, has anyone actually won as the Bourbons? I am talking about winning outright, not a draw. Because I do not see how its possible without serious luck. The Allies are simply too strong and numerous as the game progresses. They have the best two of three generals in the game, a bunch of other really good ones, and an endless supply of manpower and money. The Bourbons, while strong in the beginning, quickly lose the advantage with really little hope of regaining it. Also, I have noticed a potential bug where the system will not allow me to buy supply replacements despite having plenty in reserve, enough money and war supplies. Any feedback on the above is most welcome and appreciated! Thanks!

PhilThib

Re: The Bourbons

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:45 pm

It all depends what you call a victory...outright, by knocking out the opponents, is almost impossible unless you manage some very strong trick, like taking Vienna or London...

But winning by holding Spain and France by end of the game is quite feasible...it's more or less an attrition contest...

HHFD50
Captain

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:44 pm

By winning outright I mean by capturing Vienna, since had the French succeeded in doing so the war might have ended. That would be my definition of a true Bourbon victory. However, as things stand my definition of “victory” is surviving to the end of the game, ie holding Paris. Holding Madrid is a lost cause because of the two events which bring loads of Allied troops to Iberia. Gibraltar falls into Allied hands by event...THAT one surprised and hurt me! Maybe add a non-scripted “script” option to the game? I know the war ended essentially in a draw, but the Allies are far more equipped to win than the Bourbons in the game.

PhilThib

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:29 am

I am not sure anything is planned for immediate Vienna victory, will talk to the team.

Personally did play a lot with Bourbons in the GC and, by adopting a strategy equivalent to that used by Napoleon's opponents (i.e. never fight directly the big boss, attrition him), I succeeded. The key was to keep Marlborough and Eugene busy and harassing their LOCs...and shifting to Spain Vendome and Villars...it's easy to crush the Allies there with these two generals.

I also did a lot of raiding with my navy, landing troop parties in England and Ireland..they got defeated often, but wrecked havoc in the allies backyards...and the most fun with the Hungarian rebellion, it kept the best Austrian troops tied down there for months...

It's far from an hopeless cause :papy: :dada:

GenGrant21
Private

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:10 am

I can confirm what he is saying. I was able to win as the Bourbons by what I consider a victory. I was able to capture London after building up my fleet near the beginning of the war and at the end of the war, I took Amsterdam with Boufflers and Wien with the Hungarians. It is not impossible to win as the Bourbons. I had 158 morale. I ended with a score of 9464 to 7503. It sure was a grind though, but the Hungarian front and the attacks on mainland Britain, not to mention winning at Barcelona and retaking Cadiz, along with surviving in Italy really helped.

HHFD50
Captain

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:53 am

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I had no success, but simply that it does not seem completely winnable. I did the invasion of England, fought off Marlborough from taking Paris early in the game, kept Eugene at bay in Italy for more than 90 turns, used my navy skillfully, AND used the Hungarian rebellion to its fullest effect. Perhaps my greatest blunder was transferring my best generals to the Dutch and Italian fronts leaving Spain thread bare. But then again, I did NOT expect the events which brought all the troops to Iberia. I was guarding against them COMING there...by land and sea, and not just appearing one day! ...They didn't even bring beer!!! lol Also, against the AI I am pretty sure I can win, but I am playing human opponents, exclusively, and they are both very good.

PhilThib

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 am

May be the team should consider not letting the Human players access the AI helpers events at certain difficulty levels.

Already there was a cost in EP implemented in the last patch for those events, it could be increased

HHFD50
Captain

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Yes! I think that would help a lot!

Return to “Wars of Succession”