marek1978
Colonel

Garrison

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:53 pm

Hey.I was wondering about game mechanics regarding garrions.

It seems that when a city/forters is reached by enemy force garrisson units pops out.

Is it always a rule? Does it stops after some time? If so - is there any need to leave units in conquered cities?

As far as i understant there is obvoius reason to add more units to strategic citties and give them a comander with Fort Defender trait.

Yet i was wondering whether the is need to leave units in evry location ( i tend to do it - depleting my force significantly during the game)

Addtional question - what would be the best force to garrison key location? As far as i understad supply wagons and guards units improve chances that garrison will not surender.

PhilThib

Re: Garrison

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:18 am

The autogarrison feature is permanent. Although I share some historical reservation on that, the tool is absolutely necessary in a game of this scope to help the AI.

marek1978
Colonel

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:40 am

PhilThib wrote:The autogarrison feature is permanent. Although I share some historical reservation on that, the tool is absolutely necessary in a game of this scope to help the AI.

So no matter what size of the city, whether it has walls, or not, or how many times it was bessiged there will be garrison popping out when enemy reaches town?

Meaning there is no need to leave some forces behinnd to keep cities secured?

How can one enhance chancs that city will hold out and not surrender? Adding guards units to garrison, adding commander? Adding supply units?

PhilThib

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:36 am

The garrisons that pop up are "calculated" based on city size, fort levels etc...it's dynamic...so the bigger/stronger the city, the better the garrison.

Now it's safe to build up garrisons with your own units, like guns, troops and supplies will help, and sending a good defending commander too...

I know the team plans to offer some ways to build up defenses better (via options or decisions and force pool improvements)

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:36 pm

Could the force pools be extended so that we had single garrison companies available for recruitment? That way one could leave say 1 to 3 companies as a garrison. Leaving a full regiment behind for simple garrison duty seems overkill in most cases.

PhilThib

Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Will be in next patch :cool:

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:38 pm

It's great that they were added with the patch. However, could their recruitment areas be expanded? The garrison units seem to be static, thus one is unable to assign them to any captured inland cities, since they seemingly can only be recruited in cities that the side started with.

PhilThib

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:40 am

Only the militia garrisons seem to be restricted...for other garrisons there are no restrictions...at least in the DB that I have seen. Will check with the team :sherlock:

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:46 pm

Just checked again, and as Sweden I'm unable to build any garrison units in Mittau and Kowno. Does them being pillaged affect the situation?

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:21 pm

The recruitability seems to depend on the target province's loyalty. Now that I've held my Polish conquests for a while and also taken Warsaw I'm able to recruit garrison units from the conquests.

Return to “Wars of Succession”