bkosar19
Sergeant

Spanish Treasure Fleet?

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:30 pm

Playing the Spanish Succession scenario as the Bourbons, one gets a Spanish "treasure fleet" from the New World. The tool tips say that as a "gold galleon" it "creates gold income when reaching Spanish Cadiz port."

Now, I moved that "gold galleon" to Cadiz early in the game. Now what? Do I just keep it there? I'm not seeing anything in the event log indicating that it's producing income. Is the gold income just a one shot thing from initially moving into Cadiz or is it a recurring event?

Currently, I'm trying to find ways to increase my funds. It's almost the exact opposite of other Ageod games: lots of war supplies and conscripts, but not enough money. Replacements alone are a massive drain and that's with handling them manually. Plus, many of the political/military decisions come with hefty price-tags in terms of cash as well as EPs. So, I'm looking around for ways to increase revenue. It's pretty limited. The requisitions decision appears to have a slight chance of being successful. Raising taxes decision is infrequent and comes with an NMP hit. So, I'm looking at that gold galleon. How does it work?

PhilThib

Re: Spanish Treasure Fleet?

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:52 am

The gold Galleon fleet moves automatically from the New World to Spain (Cadiz) every turn, you have nothing to do (except may be go next to it with a strong fleet to protect it)

The Requisition decision was slightly changed and we posted a quick fix here

bkosar19
Sergeant

Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:11 pm

PhilThib wrote:The gold Galleon fleet moves automatically from the New World to Spain (Cadiz) every turn, you have nothing to do (except may be go next to it with a strong fleet to protect it)

The Requisition decision was slightly changed and we posted a quick fix here

I'm sorry, but I'm still confused about how the treasure fleet functions:

1) The treasure fleet starts in a New World location initially locked in place.

2) A year or so into the game, the treasure fleet was unlocked which enabled me to move it to Cadiz where it is currently sitting in the port.

Was I not supposed to move it? By moving it to Cadiz am I still getting any income? How can I tell whether or not it's making income?

Is it supposed to function in a way similar to merchant fleets- locked in place and generating income every turn? Again, if so then why did it unlock? Was I supposed to move it to commerce area with the merchant fleets? Or does it generate income only in its initial starting area?

I assume the income probably isn't great, but still I'm curious as to how it's supposed to work because I think I screwed it up by moving it to Cadiz.

PhilThib

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:36 pm

bkosar19 wrote:
PhilThib wrote:I assume the income probably isn't great, but still I'm curious as to how it's supposed to work because I think I screwed it up by moving it to Cadiz.

Yes you did :mdr:

For what I understood from the designer when I tested it, you have absolutely nothing to do...don't touch it...it is supposed to work automatically via events...as you moved it, the event could not find it anymore and was screwed I suppose...

IIRC it will give you something like $2000 and 250 VP upon safe arrival.... each time !

bkosar19
Sergeant

Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:09 pm

PhilThib wrote:
bkosar19 wrote:
PhilThib wrote:I assume the income probably isn't great, but still I'm curious as to how it's supposed to work because I think I screwed it up by moving it to Cadiz.

Yes you did :mdr:

For what I understood from the designer when I tested it, you have absolutely nothing to do...don't touch it...it is supposed to work automatically via events...as you moved it, the event could not find it anymore and was screwed I suppose...

IIRC it will give you something like $2000 and 250 VP upon safe arrival.... each time !

Thanks for the response and the explanation.

However, it really should be locked like a merchant fleet if the player isn't supposed to move it. There's nothing in the manual about how it functions and the tool tip on the "gold galleon" icon is counterintuitive- I read it that you're supposed to move it manually to Cadiz to get to it to function. I only found-out how it works by asking here.

PhilThib

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:02 am

Will convey your remarks to the dev, those are valid points indeed :indien:

bkosar19
Sergeant

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:59 pm

PhilThib wrote:Will convey your remarks to the dev, those are valid points indeed :indien:

After playing a bit more, I'm thinking now that you ARE supposed to move it to Cadiz and THEN move it back to South America in order for the event to trigger because that's what happened in my game.

I had the treasure fleet sitting in Cadiz for a bunch of turns, but after our discussion I decided to send it back to South America to see what would happen. Upon its return to South America, I got a message in the event log indicating a successful treasure fleet arrival. The game then locked the treasure fleet in place in South America, and that's been its status for the last few turns.

Now, I'm wondering if it will unlock in a set number of turns which would enable me to sail it to Cadiz again and then back in order to trigger the treasure fleet event. I guess I'll find it out if I keep playing.

If that's how it functions then it is an unusual feature for an Ageod game and thus it should have been explained more clearly in the manual and/or the tooltips.

PhilThib

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:03 pm

May be contact Altaris on this forum (via PM), he was the designer of the feat :sherlock:

Nikel

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:05 pm

Why is he not posting?

PhilThib

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:15 am

Nikel wrote:Why is he not posting?
AFAIK he is away on IRL mission and as no Internet access.

Searry
Colonel

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:44 pm

Apparently the treasure fleet has problems in one of my games as well. If it is not succesfully engaged, the fleet teleports around the oceans and stays locked meaning you can't save the ships because they do not go to a port.
I think the fleet should be unlocked but the game should remind people not to move the fleet.
I hope this area of the game gets reworked somehow.

PhilThib

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:20 pm

Designer is working and checking on it right now

Altaris

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:36 pm

Which scenario are you experiencing these issues in? I just ran through the 1701 scenario and it appears to be working in the initial tests.

If you have saves they would be helpful as well.

However, I do see one potential area where this could fail to work (and may be what you are running into). The fleet stack gets moved each turn along a pre-defined path by script, if the stack gets attacked and retreats to a region not in the path, it could cause it to fail.

It would certainly be possible to modify the event to allow the player to manually move the ships to the Cadiz port, would this be preferable? (Would likely have to leave the script in place for the AI, for it to handle properly though).

Searry
Colonel

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:34 am

It should be allowed to move to Cadiz and the Franco-Spanish fleet unlocked at the same time as the British-Dutch fleet to protect it. The French fleet should be bigger anyways as it was actively competing against the British during this time.
I'm proposing a house rule for all future games with my opponents that before this gets fixed, no-one attacks the treasure fleet. It gives huge NM if destroyed and the mechanic is basically fully broken.

Return to “Wars of Succession”