vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Acessibility in pop up lettering

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:45 am

Please make the popups easy to read, by using letters that contrast well with the black background.

In other words, please do not use gray lettering on black, or dark blue on black, or any other combination that lacks contrast.

The traditional Ageod color scheme of orange on black works fine, and is easy to read.

I am mentioning this because, once again, ECW repeats this problem by making many popups hard to read and eyestraining by using light gray on black, which is hard for many of us veterans to read.

I would think that Slitherine would want to make its games easier to read for its veteran fans, not harder. I am sure there is no bad intent, and I respectfully ask that Slitherine make the game accessible to all its veterans by using only colors that contrast strongly with each other in its popups.

PhilThib

Re: Acessibility in pop up lettering

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:48 am

This is the bad consequence of an "improvement". Initially, tooltips had only white on black colour scheme and that was overall fine. Now, following improvement, tooltips can use colours of all kinds. In general the colours you see are those of nations secondary/flavour colours and some of them are those 'light' ones you can't see.

This is a case by case situation that needs to be overviewed while beta testing. Just make a screenshot of whatever you don't like and we shall improve/change them

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Acessibility in pop up lettering

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:43 pm

PhilThib wrote:This is the bad consequence of an "improvement". Initially, tooltips had only white on black colour scheme and that was overall fine. Now, following improvement, tooltips can use colours of all kinds. In general the colours you see are those of nations secondary/flavour colours and some of them are those 'light' ones you can't see.

This is a case by case situation that needs to be overviewed while beta testing. Just make a screenshot of whatever you don't like and we shall improve/change them

Thanks for the explanation. That is no improvement, in my opinion. And it adds no flavor at all, at least to me, but it does cause eyestrain.

I am not a beta tester and do not have a betatest copy of the game, so I cannot make screenshots of the color combinations that are heard for me to see.

And it is just not about me. Many of your most loyal customers are veterans, and many have vision and color issues. Most people who have this issue do not like to talk about them, or discuss them, or post about them in a public forum.
And, in contrast to most, I have been able to significantly improve my vision, and that improvement is ongoing. Yet I still have problems reading some Ageod popups. So what I write after this paragraph does not apply only to my issues, but to the input of other people on various Ageod Forums. I want all of us to be able to read the popups and enjoy these magnificent games!

In the past, the following has been hard to see, and eyestrain invoking...

Any kind of gray on black.

Any color that appears dull and faded on the black background, except for white.

Any dark color on black, such as Dark blue, dark green, dark red, purple, etc.

In contrast, bright blue on black is no problem. Orange on black is no problem. White on black is the best of all. Bright colors that contrast well with a black background are the easiest to read.

Given that it is very possible to change the popups so we veterans can read them, I respectfully ask that you do , in accordance with the information set forth above.

Return to “Wars of Succession”