HootsMaguire
Conscript

Re: Mod for 1701 WSS campaign

Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi Bohemond

Really enjoying the mod so far, into 1703 as GA and it looks good. Particularly like the CW2 style blockade boxes with %

One small bug or glitch and two short questions:

BUG - The Requisition RGD currently requires 1 EP which is not mentioned in the tooltip.

I "corrected" it by deleting the EP line in the "11-Requisitions.RGD" file and now it works as per tooltip. I considered the EP cost very punitive as there is already a high loyalty and control cost, as well as 3VP.

QUESTION 1: Why are there 2 selectable events for bringing Savoy into the GA? There's one costing 250 EP and requiring 12 battalions in Savoy territory, and a different one costing 300 EP that kicks in later and causes the first one to be marked as "locked" - but not really as it it still selectable. So it's a kind of bug I suppose...

QUESTION 2: How do you get into Gibraltar? I can't enter by land though there is a route marked with SHIFT-point from the north. But apparently doesn't work. I also can't invade by sea. So even though I have Cadiz and Sevilla I can't get Gibraltar by any means.
EDIT: Found the answer to this one, it's an Alpine (?) province so only infantry allowed.

I can't attach files or post images at present being anew member so I hope these descriptions of the problems work.

Regards
HM

Bohémond

Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:32 pm

Hi

Regarding RGD Tooltips, as they are sometimes short or not accurate, I suggest to mouse over the number (top right of the RGD picture) with ErrorLoging ONJ (MainMenu/Options/System). This will give you the accurate cost and benefit for the RGD.

Regarding Savoy alliance with GAL, we are working on it. It is not decided yet if we are going to keep both options (200 and 300 EP). 300 EP option is bugged as SAV units from Bourbons are not removed correctly from map.

Thank you for the feedback.

Regards

HootsMaguire
Conscript

Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:31 am

Hi Bohemond

If you want my opinion, I suggest leaving the 250 EP option and removing the 300 one, especially since it's bugged.
If both options exist the GAL player will obviously go for the cheaper one anyway

Also some easier way of differentiating between the Bourbon and GAL versions of Savoy once this alliance is triggered, the flags are really similar (only a microsopic red border as the difference) and the faction names and overlay 1 colours are the same, making it really hard to see who controls what.

One smaller thing is that GAL held cities are marked as rebel held in the F9 objectives screen though I don't know if the VPs etc are calculated correctly.

Currently at the end of 1703 and surprised by some nice AI moves. Though these are also disappointing, eg invading England with a mid-sized stack and then failing to move on anywhere significant. Also Racozi's Hungarians rushing at Vienna and then backing away without any reason. Surprisingly good then surprisingly dumb - oh well

DVX
Conscript

Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:33 pm

I'm at 1704 in a Bourbon campaign and things are progressing nicely so far. This is really a fantastic mod and you all should be proud of it. As a huge fan of this game, I'm extremely grateful to see that there's a fanbase dedicated to improving it. Naval strategy is much improved and I appreciate the increased production of replacements and WS. Having said that, here are a few things that I've noticed so far:

1) The Lines of Brabant decision still doesn't appear to be working properly.

2) The honours of war still doesn't work correctly. I can offer HoW, but I have no ability to accept or reject it.

2) Does the Spanish-Neapolitan trait work? The tooltip just says: "ABI_TXT_DoubleCommand27"

3) There seem to be more rebels than in the base game.

4) Sieges appear to resolve more quickly than before. I have level 3 and 4 forts falling after only a month or two due to bad water. This might just be unlucky RNG on my part, so I'll pay attention to it.

5) AI issues -- nothing new here! (I'm playing with the default settings and giving the AI more time). The AI doesn't seem to know how to handle the American theatres. Prince Eugene is still a glass cannon in Italy. He bowls over Catinat on turn 1, takes Mantua, and then hangs around the Po valley all winter suffering attrition. In the spring he'll lay siege to Villeroi in Milan as he suffers even more attrition due to having no supplies. In this game, I destroyed him in 1702 and won over 25 NM(!) in a single month. Fun, but not very challenging.

Bohémond

Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:55 am

HootsMaguire wrote:Hi Bohemond

If you want my opinion, I suggest leaving the 250 EP option and removing the 300 one, especially since it's bugged.
If both options exist the GAL player will obviously go for the cheaper one anyway

Also some easier way of differentiating between the Bourbon and GAL versions of Savoy once this alliance is triggered, the flags are really similar (only a microsopic red border as the difference) and the faction names and overlay 1 colours are the same, making it really hard to see who controls what.

One smaller thing is that GAL held cities are marked as rebel held in the F9 objectives screen though I don't know if the VPs etc are calculated correctly.

Currently at the end of 1703 and surprised by some nice AI moves. Though these are also disappointing, eg invading England with a mid-sized stack and then failing to move on anywhere significant. Also Racozi's Hungarians rushing at Vienna and then backing away without any reason. Surprisingly good then surprisingly dumb - oh well

Hello

We decide to fix and keep both options for Savoy.
One will cost 300 EP. Milano must be GAL and more than 100 elements in Milano region
Second will cost 50 EP. Torino must be GAL and more than 100 elements in Torino region
Player will have to choose between EP and fight.

Regards

Bohémond

Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:04 am

DVX wrote:I'm at 1704 in a Bourbon campaign and things are progressing nicely so far. This is really a fantastic mod and you all should be proud of it. As a huge fan of this game, I'm extremely grateful to see that there's a fanbase dedicated to improving it. Naval strategy is much improved and I appreciate the increased production of replacements and WS. Having said that, here are a few things that I've noticed so far:

1) The Lines of Brabant decision still doesn't appear to be working properly.

2) The honours of war still doesn't work correctly. I can offer HoW, but I have no ability to accept or reject it.

2) Does the Spanish-Neapolitan trait work? The tooltip just says: "ABI_TXT_DoubleCommand27"

3) There seem to be more rebels than in the base game.

4) Sieges appear to resolve more quickly than before. I have level 3 and 4 forts falling after only a month or two due to bad water. This might just be unlucky RNG on my part, so I'll pay attention to it.

5) AI issues -- nothing new here! (I'm playing with the default settings and giving the AI more time). The AI doesn't seem to know how to handle the American theatres. Prince Eugene is still a glass cannon in Italy. He bowls over Catinat on turn 1, takes Mantua, and then hangs around the Po valley all winter suffering attrition. In the spring he'll lay siege to Villeroi in Milan as he suffers even more attrition due to having no supplies. In this game, I destroyed him in 1702 and won over 25 NM(!) in a single month. Fun, but not very challenging.

Hello

1) Line of Brabant did work on our PBEM. Could you give some details on what was not working on your side ?

2) It is on our TODO list but not on the top of it.

2) the trait works. Should be a typo in Localstrings. A patch with last week improvements to be posted shortly

3) I do not remember we mod anything on Rebels chance to pop up.

4 ) Unlucky RNG

5) The mod has not AI Improvement. AI can do well if properly driven by leaders AI agents, rework on objectives, areas and theaters. It was done on Carlomagnus mod for AJE but it is not planned for this mod.

Regards

Bohémond

Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:08 pm

Last Fix download Link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oeibuhlqj6luk ... x.zip?dl=0

Unzip and copy paste the 4 folders (Events/GameData/Graphics/Settings) into your WSS_Mod folder.

Several Files shoul be overwritten

Regards

Bohémond

Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:21 am

Update #8 in blue

HootsMaguire
Conscript

Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:58 pm

Perhaps the storms are a bit too strong and too long lasting?

I had one in April 1704 that spread across the entire Atlantic and destroyed all Allied and French fleets - I looked at the enemy and they had it worse than me.

It then lasted another turn everywhere and then another turn after that in some areas. Three months of a devastating storm that destroys literally everything that floats!

I know storms can be devastating and Sir Cloudsley Shovell and his entire fleet were lost at sea but still this seems excessive

Bohémond

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:38 pm

HootsMaguire wrote:Perhaps the storms are a bit too strong and too long lasting?

I had one in April 1704 that spread across the entire Atlantic and destroyed all Allied and French fleets - I looked at the enemy and they had it worse than me.

It then lasted another turn everywhere and then another turn after that in some areas. Three months of a devastating storm that destroys literally everything that floats!

I know storms can be devastating and Sir Cloudsley Shovell and his entire fleet were lost at sea but still this seems excessive

Good point.
We found same issues during our PBEM.
Storms have been modified to not occur when weather is fair.
For spring, fall and summer maybe rain weather can prevent them also.
And maybe Trade Boxes should be excluded from Storms area.

A fix will be posted in the next few days.
Sorry for your ongoing game :innocent:

Regards

HootsMaguire
Conscript

Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:13 pm

Hey no problem the game was nearly over anyway and the AI is trashed

I literally am fighting against the weather and attrition and not the enemy at this point

Bohémond

Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:30 am

Fix for storms

Storms will not occur when weather is fair.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlv010fin339u ... s.zip?dl=0

Unzip and copy the 3 files into WSS_Mod/GameData/MapAleas

3 files should be overwritten

Regards

DVX
Conscript

Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:12 am

I started up a new game as the Bourbons and the Lines of Brabant worked perfectly this time (in my first game I received a message in red text saying that it was no longer valid).

Have the monetary costs of replacements increased in this mod? As France, the cost of a single line infantry replacement is 112 thousand pounds, 2 conscript companies, and 4 tons of war supplies. My biggest problem in past games was maintaining enough conscripts for replacements, but in this game I'm awash in conscripts and WS while always needing to raise taxes, sell WS, or use the requisition card to raise more money.

Bohémond

Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:28 am

DVX wrote:I started up a new game as the Bourbons and the Lines of Brabant worked perfectly this time (in my first game I received a message in red text saying that it was no longer valid).

Have the monetary costs of replacements increased in this mod? As France, the cost of a single line infantry replacement is 112 thousand pounds, 2 conscript companies, and 4 tons of war supplies. My biggest problem in past games was maintaining enough conscripts for replacements, but in this game I'm awash in conscripts and WS while always needing to raise taxes, sell WS, or use the requisition card to raise more money.

You are correct, units costs have been reworked.
Money will be the key as manpower shortage was not an an issue in this period.

Regards

DVX
Conscript

Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:35 am

Bohémond wrote:
You are correct, units costs have been reworked.
Money will be the key as manpower shortage was not an an issue in this period.

Regards

Ok, that makes sense. Maybe consider either increasing the amount of WS needed per unit or reducing the amount of WS generated? Despite selling WS every time the decision comes up, I still have over 10,000 WS and growing.

HootsMaguire
Conscript

Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:43 pm

Well I finished a playthrough as Grand Alliance vs AI

First I want to say that I really enjoyed the playthrough, and thanks again for the mod. I probably won't play it again as singleplayer because I really feel the AI isn't up to the task, no matter what the setting used. AI tends to charge forward in megastacks into unsupplied areas and then is reduced by attrition to nothing, or scatters around in small packets which do nothing. So I'll be looking for PBEM play in future.

Issues raised in the playthrough:

1. Savoy was problematic . Apart from the issue of the two different events for a Savoy alliance, which I hope is dealt with in the present version, there were scattered Savoy units used by the Bourbon side and they would show up here and there.
Most bizarrely, Duke Victor Amadeus was cloned and fought on both sides, several times fighting himself in a battle.

2. The weather was an issue, with storms lasting up to 4 months across the whole ocean destroying everything. Of course the AI didn't recognise the danger and so sent his whole fleet out as normal. Hopefully that is also limited by the latest patch.

3. Sieges were strangely affected. Accept and Reject HoW cards never worked and sometimes Mine and Siege Work cards were not accepted even though the conditions were satisfied.
Some sieges went on for 12 turns but others were ever in a turn - probably RNG but didn't really reflect the strength of the fortress so a level 2 seemed no different from a level 5.

4. As noted by DVX the balance between cash, manpower and supplies was off. I finished with 10K + manpower and 20K supply to spare though I was always short of cash and sold WSU at every opportunity.

5. Finally RGD requisitions should not have an EP cost IMO. It is already very costly in other ways and EP is extremely limited for other more interesting things like alliances. When I removed EP cost from requisitions as described above the play seemed more balanced and interesting.

Hope these notes were useful to you. Thanks again for the effort to perfect this fantastic game.

Bohémond

Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:41 pm

HootsMaguire wrote:Well I finished a playthrough as Grand Alliance vs AI

First I want to say that I really enjoyed the playthrough, and thanks again for the mod. I probably won't play it again as singleplayer because I really feel the AI isn't up to the task, no matter what the setting used. AI tends to charge forward in megastacks into unsupplied areas and then is reduced by attrition to nothing, or scatters around in small packets which do nothing. So I'll be looking for PBEM play in future.

Issues raised in the playthrough:

1. Savoy was problematic . Apart from the issue of the two different events for a Savoy alliance, which I hope is dealt with in the present version, there were scattered Savoy units used by the Bourbon side and they would show up here and there.
Most bizarrely, Duke Victor Amadeus was cloned and fought on both sides, several times fighting himself in a battle.

2. The weather was an issue, with storms lasting up to 4 months across the whole ocean destroying everything. Of course the AI didn't recognise the danger and so sent his whole fleet out as normal. Hopefully that is also limited by the latest patch.

3. Sieges were strangely affected. Accept and Reject HoW cards never worked and sometimes Mine and Siege Work cards were not accepted even though the conditions were satisfied.
Some sieges went on for 12 turns but others were ever in a turn - probably RNG but didn't really reflect the strength of the fortress so a level 2 seemed no different from a level 5.

4. As noted by DVX the balance between cash, manpower and supplies was off. I finished with 10K + manpower and 20K supply to spare though I was always short of cash and sold WSU at every opportunity.

5. Finally RGD requisitions should not have an EP cost IMO. It is already very costly in other ways and EP is extremely limited for other more interesting things like alliances. When I removed EP cost from requisitions as described above the play seemed more balanced and interesting.

Hope these notes were useful to you. Thanks again for the effort to perfect this fantastic game.

Thank you for the feedback

1) Clones and duplicate are fixed in the next fix to come.

2) Last fix for MapAleas fix the everlasting storms. Trade boxes are going to be exclude from storm areas (next fix). I would have a look for AI winter quarters behavior.

3) RNG for sure, siege feature was not modified. For HOW cards, it is on the TODO list. We will have a look if something can be done to reflect the fort level for surrender chances but I do not think so. Mine and siege only work on city structure not on fort only one.

4) Balance is better in PBEM as an human player will force you to invest more in replacement and reinforcement.

5) We will have a look at it.

General note :
There is not much we can do for AI. There are too much potential theaters, objectives and turns to script it adequately. AI can be improved for small scenarios. It not worth the effort for campaigns.

Hope you will enjoy your PBEM games !

Regards

Charles
Lieutenant

Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:59 pm

Glad to see this game is getting some love, even unofficially.

I have been following this thread with interest, I own several AGEOD games, but WSS seems to work the best as a game IMHO. I currently have a GNW PBEM match on the go, but looking forward to trying the mod at some point.

Keep up the good work! :dada:

DVX
Conscript

Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:32 pm

I just finished a Bourbon campaign (I'll take a little break and then give the Grand Alliance a shot) and I noticed a few issues with decisions in the end game:

(1) Tory Government never unlocked for me even though my morale and Anti-Bourbon sentiment were in the required range.

(2) Conversely, Perfidious Albion unlocked before my Anti-Bourbon sentiment was at -20.

(3) The Peace of Utrecht and Peace of Rastatt unlocked when my Anti-Bourbon sentiment was only -28 rather than -50. I was able to activate the Peace of Rastatt decision even though I hadn't yet conquered Vienna. It recognised the decision as a red-letter event the following month but did not end the game with a victory screen.

It's unrelated to the above, but Iberville's corsairs remain stationary in Nouvelle-Orléans the entire game. I really wanted to put those corsairs on his privateering ship and go raid Nevis!

Bohémond

Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:21 pm

DVX wrote:I just finished a Bourbon campaign (I'll take a little break and then give the Grand Alliance a shot) and I noticed a few issues with decisions in the end game:

(1) Tory Government never unlocked for me even though my morale and Anti-Bourbon sentiment were in the required range.

(2) Conversely, Perfidious Albion unlocked before my Anti-Bourbon sentiment was at -20.

(3) The Peace of Utrecht and Peace of Rastatt unlocked when my Anti-Bourbon sentiment was only -28 rather than -50. I was able to activate the Peace of Rastatt decision even though I hadn't yet conquered Vienna. It recognised the decision as a red-letter event the following month but did not end the game with a victory screen.

It's unrelated to the above, but Iberville's corsairs remain stationary in Nouvelle-Orléans the entire game. I really wanted to put those corsairs on his privateering ship and go raid Nevis!

For 1,2 and 3, our PBEM game is at turn 70 (around April 1707), so these events have not been fixed/modded yet, sorry.
Regarding Iberville, he is locked for 25 turns or so at the beginning. When unlocked you can use him, and the cosairs units, to raid. Please confirm.

Regards

DVX
Conscript

Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:10 pm

Bohémond wrote:Regarding Iberville, he is locked for 25 turns or so at the beginning. When unlocked you can use him, and the cosairs units, to raid. Please confirm.

Iberville unlocked for me around turn 4-6 when most Bourbon units unlocked. The corsair unit had a 'stationary' status (a grey ribbon rather than a red locked ribbon) the entire game and could not be moved.

Bohémond

Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:28 pm

Even with a stationary status, from vanilla design, the corsairs unit can embark in a docked fleet and disembark to raid.
If I recall correctly, the corsairs unit forcepool has been increased and you can recruit two of them.

Regards

cabyxiaomi
Civilian

Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:30 am

At the moment, I can only claim a victory if the opponent hasn't moved for 7 days. I've tried to play multiplayer a few times, but it isn't very exciting to be honest. Because a lot of times opponents only move after many days, and both of us seems we've lost the momentum to play the game.

delcastel
Lieutenant

Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:15 am

DVX wrote:
Bohémond wrote:Regarding Iberville, he is locked for 25 turns or so at the beginning. When unlocked you can use him, and the cosairs units, to raid. Please confirm.

Iberville unlocked for me around turn 4-6 when most Bourbon units unlocked. The corsair unit had a 'stationary' status (a grey ribbon rather than a red locked ribbon) the entire game and could not be moved.

Les unités corsaires peuvent embarquer sur les navires corsaires et faire des raids, je les utilise comme ça .

une grande partie des unités avec un bandeau gris on un déplacement lent (10% mouv)

Bohémond

Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:41 pm

Update #9 in the firs post

With link to last fix files

Nikel

Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:32 pm

Thanks Bohémond.

Excellent support for an abandoned game, as happened before!

Do you plan to do even more? Great Northen war? The Napoleonic game? :blink:

Bohémond

Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:47 am

Nikel wrote:Thanks Bohémond.

Excellent support for an abandoned game, as happened before!

Do you plan to do even more? Great Northen war? The Napoleonic game? :blink:

My pleasure :)

Not the Great Northen war, I did try it once and did not have fun.
For the Napoleonic game, it is an option but it will be PBEM oriented for sure and we need to complete WSS current PBEM first.

I do reactive the modding on DLV, a looooooot simplier design than WSS and VON. Working on AI for now.

Regards

Nikel

Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:54 am

Bohémond wrote:
My pleasure :)

Not the Great Northen war, I did try it once and did not have fun.
For the Napoleonic game, it is an option but it will be PBEM oriented for sure and we need to complete WSS current PBEM first.

I do reactive the modding on DLV, a looooooot simplier design than WSS and VON. Working on AI for now.

Regards

No fun with the GNW, why? No french armies? ;)

OK, enjoy your modding, whatever it will be!

Nikel

Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:18 pm

Regarding the third file.

"Unzip the downloaded file into your WSS root directory (where the .exe is located)."

Should it not be extracted into "WSS_Mod" folder?

Bohémond

Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:33 pm

Nikel wrote:Regarding the third file.

"Unzip the downloaded file into your WSS root directory (where the .exe is located)."

Should it not be extracted into "WSS_Mod" folder?

You are right.

Fixed in the first post.

Thank you for reporting

Regards

Return to “Wars of Succession”