caranorn

do structures have a size?

Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:43 pm

Hello,

I was just adding stud farms to various cities and realised there does not seem to be a way to limit their output. My idea was to give minor states their own studs, particularly the German ones which historically fielded quite a bit of cavalry. I was thinking of adding some war supplies to, but that would have the same problem of being identical across the board I think.

On a side note, how do I find out which ID numbers are free? In the bellow code you see I used the same ID 1012781 all over, as far as I can tell the scenario nevertheless loads without a problem.

Code: Select all

{Structure}
        Hannoveraner Gestüt
              {/Structure}

Okay, I already found some more information digging through iles and folders.

I see I can change the output of all stud farms via the stud.str file, changing

Out_Mfg = 10
to

Out_Mfg = 100
will roughly raise in game production of horses tenfold (I forgot to restart the game in my first attempts ;-) ).

Now the question is, can I add levels to stud farms like depots? Again in the stud.str I can edit

MaxLevel = 1
to

MaxLevel = 3
. But if I edit the scenario file to give a stud farm structure in say Wien

{Structure}
        3 #was 1
        Wien Stud
which I assume is the correct entry for level of a structure (deducting from depots) I get an error loading the scenario.

Will I have to add additional stud farms to regions to get what I want? By accident I already noticed it is possible to have multiple structures of the same type in a region and they will both produce (two stud farms give roughly double horse output).

So right now my solution would be: lower

Out_Mfg
, add the stud farms I want for minors, add a second or even third stud farm in major power regions with existing stud farms.

But maybe there's an alternative approach to get what I want, that is horse production (not events or major power decisions)? Historically many of those minors had substantial studs, f.i. Hanover and Saxony (iirc Napoleon remounted a significant portion of his cavalry after defeating the Saxons).

Haven't modded anything in years. But I still seem to know how to dig through athena's files. Never understood how to mod from the database, I don't have WON/NGC's database anyhow. No good at writing events either, only modifying existing ones.

To think that I just wanted to apply two existing mods to the game today and try a solo all factions game today. Instead I've been digging and editing files all day :-D .

Marc

Bohémond

Re: do structures have a size?

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:49 pm

Hello,

Structures do have a size.
I know how to deal with it using Database and events.
But I do not know how using the saves files you are modding.

Regards

caranorn

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:05 am

Bohémond wrote:Hello,

Structures do have a size.
I know how to deal with it using Database and events.
But I do not know how using the saves files you are modding.

Regards

Thanks, I will look a little more then. Technically I'm editing a scenario file (Andrzej's scenario making any faction easily selectable at start) not a save game, but iirc there is no major difference between the two. I'm also looking into and modding actual game files, I know it's not the way this should be done, but it's how I learned it way back in BoA and while I've had the database of various games open in the past I never got far that way.

I will take a look at the database too, might find what I'm looking for after all.

Marc

caranorn

Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:07 am

Found the solution. Thought I could add a comment with the # sign which lead to a crash in one case and in another simply did not seem to work with no message. In the second case it meant no production of horses at all, for any stud in Austria.

Think I should get this piece done now.

Marc

Pocus

Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:32 am

I was going to say, don't add comments, this is a proprietary parser and it does not support comments.

As for the ID, it should be unique, even if you believe it loads fine. Now, the limit is super high, so I suggest you start your own ID sequence at 2.000.000 and you'll be safe.

caranorn

Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:55 am

Pocus wrote:I was going to say, don't add comments, this is a proprietary parser and it does not support comments.

As for the ID, it should be unique, even if you believe it loads fine. Now, the limit is super high, so I suggest you start your own ID sequence at 2.000.000 and you'll be safe.

Thanks, I will add new IDs then.

So far it's working as intended I also added horse/goods/mfg cost to artillery (8-18 depending on type) and supply (40). Reevaluated what vanilla production and use of horses was and before and what use would be after my editing model files. I ended up with a production of 5 mfg per stud farm, max level 6, most pre-existing stud farms were given a level of 4. So an output of 20 mfg for an average 4 level stud farm balancing out the roughly double need to replenish or build units.

Since yesterday afternoon I've been testing this slowly. Solo all factions with some house rules. Any faction at war acts every turn. Major power at peace every 3 turns in winter (Oct-March), minor at peace in winter every 4 turns. Major at peace in summer every 2 turns, minor every 3. A few exceptions when I know that a diplomatic message is awaiting a faction that is not supposed to act this turn, react to the proposal and save and move to next faction. I think once I get the hang of this I can play a reasonable number of turns, certainly faster than a monster game of this calibre on a table top.

If I think the modifications are working as I planned I will probably share the mod here through a dropbox link. But it's only intended for solo or multiplayer. I have no idea how the ai would handle my changes.

Marc

colonelflag
Conscript

Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:22 am

Hi caranorn,

How did you go with this mod ? Are you willing to share it at all ?

Cheers
ColonelFlag

Return to “WON Mods”