Altaris
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:40 pm

I also don't want to make A/H so strong they can easily hold Russia off by themselves. The risk of Russia getting through the Carpathians into Hungary was the #1 reason the Germans turn east in 1915.

But the garrison situation does need to be sorted out, I've got auto-garrisons in for next version.

steelwarrior77
Colonel
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:44 am

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:41 pm

Yep - just saying already now I cannot substatially attack in the East cause I still need so many forces in the West - even with an ideal line of defense...and that together with the above calculation means I will be outnumbered in time - even without Italy and USA entering for the Entente...

steelwarrior77
Colonel
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:44 am

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:43 pm

Altaris wrote:I also don't want to make A/H so strong they can easily hold Russia off by themselves. The risk of Russia getting through the Carpathians into Hungary was the #1 reason the Germans turn east in 1915.

But the garrison situation does need to be sorted out, I've got auto-garrisons in for next version.


1915 Russia has already Budapest in our game - of course also due to mistakes of A-H - but all of that does not change the above calculation...CPs getting outnumbered even if very succesful very early on...the garrisons are great ;-D - Just had a British invasion of Le Havre cause I do not have enough units to cover the whole coast - even though I believe GB will regret this invasion attempt very soon ;-D

vicberg
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 968
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:18 am

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:45 pm

steelwarrior77 wrote:Nope it is not only that - rebuilding also goes faster (double speed for all Entente see above) and I had 3k all the time in the East...that is still a balance issue aside from A-H getting mauled...the second game went different, because the Russian player messed up and A-H and Germany is played by the same player - very easy to coordinate...
Just make the maths Russia has about 95% of Germanies CP - GB about 50 and France aboz 60& - A-H only 60% So it starts already unbalanced - the whole Entente starts with 210% CP and the CPs with 160% - then it is just that France and Gb first need to collect their CP - thats why Germany can maul France - but by early 1915 that already chnages plus the double speed of building divisions for the Entente 3 to 1 1/2 for the CPs - then if Turkey enters early Italy will go 1915 already to the Entente which is kinda the end for the CPs...even more CP for the Entente pluzs even faster building of divisions...so something has to be done...I am winning but at the same time loosing - which is annoying...and that would even happen without Italy and the USA which usually always join the Entente...


In Game 2, I'm Germany and Paul is AH. I'm not playing both. We've had good communication throughout the game.

Game balance is there. If you mess up, you can get mauled and that's the way it's supposed to be. In Game 1, Austria messed up. In Game 2, Russia messed up. What will happen if neither side messes up?

Altaris, where I agree with Markus is the missing Militia. That is an issue. In base game, there's around 40 militia units that GE receives, plus it can build more. These are weak units, but enable Germany to garrison supply lines so the enemy can't simply move through the region and cut supply, garrison coastal areas in Belgium and take military control. I'm finding myself using valuable corp for this.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 968
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:18 am

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:51 pm

steelwarrior77 wrote:Yep - just saying already now I cannot substatially attack in the East cause I still need so many forces in the West - even with an ideal line of defense...and that together with the above calculation means I will be outnumbered in time - even without Italy and USA entering for the Entente...


Again, depends on game play. I haven't taken as many losses as you, nor have I caused as many losses as you. As a result, I haven't taken as many replacements as you. I've been able to build 3 armies and a few corp. I have 2 or those new armies on the Eastern Front and 1 army on the Western Front. 3 Armies are enough to start the push into Russia and I'll build more for both the East. For the West, I'm going to, at some point here, start extending my forces and create a solid line from North Sea down to Alps. What I do depends a lot on what you and Michael do.

Altaris
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:55 pm

I think we're all in agreement on the garrisons. Right now it's too easy for a very small force (or several groups) to severely damage rear communications. Garrisons will resolve this, without greatly impacting regular game balance. They are auto-garrisons, so only get called up when a region is invaded, and it's a 25% chance per size of structure (lvl 1 city has 25% chance, lvl 3 75% chance, etc).

vicberg
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 968
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:18 am

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:02 pm

smiljkovic73 wrote:Well, as Russian player that is to blame for A-H collapse ;) , I must say main reason for this is poor strategic decisions made by A-H at start (concentrating on Serbia instead defending on Carpathian mountains). Second reason is his poor tactical conduct where he repeatidly allowed for his armies to be cut-off and annihilated (or badly mauled)...which make his losses extremely high (more than 700k captured!)
Also, German trust on west helped me to focus on A-H :) ... so I don't think it's problem with mode (our second game kind a confirm that)

I too think there are some minor issues for Russian player (posted already about them) but nothing on game breaking level so far. For now, most frustrating thing is that in almost 10 months siege of Perzesmyl not a single breach was made (and no assault is possible either).


Slobodan, you need 2 medium artillery on Premsyl. The CBT you need is 20. Your single medium artillery has a CBT of 17, which is why you aren't breaching. I always use 2 mediums (or heaviies if you've got them) for breaching forts. Premsyl is also a level 4 city with farmlands, so you aren't going to starve it out.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 968
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:18 am

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:05 pm

Altaris wrote:I think we're all in agreement on the garrisons. Right now it's too easy for a very small force (or several groups) to severely damage rear communications. Garrisons will resolve this, without greatly impacting regular game balance. They are auto-garrisons, so only get called up when a region is invaded, and it's a 25% chance per size of structure (lvl 1 city has 25% chance, lvl 3 75% chance, etc).


Yes. The garrisons I'm talking about are in the base game. They come in all over the place and around 40 of them and unfixed. It requires a slew of Militia replacements to build them out. They come in the first couple of months of the war.

Altaris
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:18 pm

In new version of mod, they'll be autogarrisons, so they won't chew up replacements, they'll just spawn when the region is invaded. It's a nice mechanism that keeps you from having to worry about your rear lines so much.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 968
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:18 am

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:12 pm

Altaris wrote:In new version of mod, they'll be autogarrisons, so they won't chew up replacements, they'll just spawn when the region is invaded. It's a nice mechanism that keeps you from having to worry about your rear lines so much.


Does that include German controlled Russia?

Altaris
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:24 pm

No, it's only for home regions.

Which does bring up an interesting dilemma, as you don't really want to have to devote a huge number of corps to rear lines. Perhaps it warrants adding a smaller unit type (maybe division level, or even brigade?) for rear duties?

vicberg
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 968
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:18 am

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:29 pm

The militia in base were divisional level. Again, there were 40+ for Germany and around 20+ for Austria. I have no idea how many for the Triple Entente. You might want to simply copy that logic into yours and modify. It worked well and they were needed for the deep pushes into Russia and defense of the Belgium coast and possible Holland activation. Austria needs it for defense against a British incursion along the Austrian Coast. Same with Turkey, though again, not sure how many they got.

smiljkovic73
Conscript
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:21 pm

Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:40 pm

vicberg wrote:Slobodan, you need 2 medium artillery on Premsyl. The CBT you need is 20. Your single medium artillery has a CBT of 17, which is why you aren't breaching. I always use 2 mediums (or heaviies if you've got them) for breaching forts. Premsyl is also a level 4 city with farmlands, so you aren't going to starve it out.


Had 2 medium artilleries there for about 5 months...and most of that time with 1 eng coprs also...and still nos single breach. I also run test with added 2 more eng corps and heavy artillery...and still no single breach for some5/6 turns. Now, that makes me think something is odd there...

Altaris
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:41 pm

Indeed, that doesn't sound right for sieges. I will investigate.

Siege mechanics always seem a bit quirky to me.

User avatar
Shri
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:57 am
Location: INDIA

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:08 pm

Maybe a garrison type division instead of militia should do the trick, division should have good defence but poor attack and should be very slow to move around.
Can call it - Territorial for the Allies and Landwehr/Landsturm for the CP.

Can be having 1/2 manpower of corps but no officers/planes and 1/2 artillery with very slow speed. Should do the trick instead of auto-garrisons.
Else, make Cavalry into Divisional Cavalry instead of Corps based Cavalry and CP can use Cavalry to guard lines.

EDIT:
Historically, Germany tore up its existing "dozen" cavalry divisions into regiments and at times into Battalions to police rear areas including the whole of Serbia, Romania and vast parts of the Baltics and Poland.
Also, they sent the Landsturm units (Landsturm were level 4 infantry, wherein- Regulars were 1, Reserves were 2, Landwehr were 3) and these guarded key points on the front line where attacks were not expected.
Also from 1915 onwards, a separate division called "TRENCH division" was formed by the Germans having good defensive stats but useless on offensive.

In 1915 the Germans split the army divisions from 12 to 9 battalions and created about 50+ new divisions, some were labelled "eingrief" or attack divisions which were superb on attack and defence, some were "defence divisions" which were not to be used in attacks unless in emergencies and the remaining were designated Trench divisions.
France did the same in 1917 and UK did it in 1918 (partially). Austria did it partially from 1916 onwards.
USA never did as they never had manpower shortages.
Minors, Italy and Russia never did it as they lacked Industrial Power.
Rascals, would you live forever? - Frederick the Great.

Altaris
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:31 pm

I'm working on a "Reclaim Unit" which allows you to combine elements with it and at the end of the turn, the unit gets placed back into replacements, and allows for other units to be built. Not 100% sure I can get it to work effectively, but I'm trying. This would accomplish largely what you're talking about Shri, and also allow for skimming ranks of trained infantry for building strosstruppen later in the war.

steelwarrior77
Colonel
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:44 am

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:01 am

Great ;-D Militia spwan additional to auto garrisons would still be appreciated - this huge map basically needs more units...

Altaris
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:57 pm

So last night I figured out how to turn back on the old .trn file structure so each playable nation has it's own trn file. For a multiplayer game such as this, do you guys think the .trn format is preferable to the one .hst file? IMO, it is, but wanted to see what everyone else thought.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 968
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:18 am

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:03 pm

Honestly, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Not sure what the benefit of that would be. I've had no issues with host files at all in any games.

Altaris
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:11 pm

I just never liked sending a hst file out which technically allows anyone to open any side at whim. The old system seemed more secure to me.

It's easy to switch on/off, so I guess ultimately it's a matter of preference.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 968
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:18 am

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:14 pm

I didn't know that. That's a solid benefit.

User avatar
Ace
Posts: 3490
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:33 pm
Location: Croatia

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:27 am

Altaris wrote:So last night I figured out how to turn back on the old .trn file structure so each playable nation has it's own trn file. For a multiplayer game such as this, do you guys think the .trn format is preferable to the one .hst file? IMO, it is, but wanted to see what everyone else thought.



That is excelent.

Is it easy to do?
I would like it implemented in ever ageod game

User avatar
Cardinal Ape
General of the Army
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:59 am

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:09 am

Ace wrote:That is excelent.

Is it easy to do?
I would like it implemented in ever ageod game



I tried to get this to work in CW2.

I got the .trn files for both sides. Sadly, you can still use the CSA.trn file to load up the USA and vice versa.

Altaris, is there more to it than changing the sysNFS in system.opt?

Altaris
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:31 pm

First you have to change the sysNFS entry in system.opt.

But you also have to modify all the front end files for game loading and such too, which is a bit more involved. I copied them over to RUS to do with EAW mod. You also need corresponding graphics. It's not really simple to do, took me a few hours of tinkering to figure it out.

The reason you were able to load either side, CA, is that the new system just works with the .hst file, which exists in both methods. You'd still need a 3rd party host to really secure a game.

If you guys want me to work up something for CW2, I probably could over the next few days.

User avatar
Cardinal Ape
General of the Army
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:59 am

Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:42 am

That does sound like quite a bit of work.

Thanks for the offer, but I can live without it.

User avatar
Ace
Posts: 3490
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:33 pm
Location: Croatia

Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:50 pm

Why they threw out trn file out in the first place is a mystery to me

Altaris
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:17 pm

Ace wrote:Why they threw out trn file out in the first place is a mystery to me


My guess would be to cut down on the amount of file writing that has to occur at turn end, but honestly, it's not much of a difference.

User avatar
PJL
Lieutenant
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:40 pm

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:48 pm

Is it possible to strategically redeploy forces in this mod? I mean actual armies and not just generals and non combat units? The thing that is still bugging me is the 7 day turns even in month long winter turns. However I could live with that if it were possible to strat deploy, as at least it would least eliminate the absurd idea that it takes 2-3 months in winter to move forces even by rail.

BTW, I have no problems with reducing the rail points in general (this I think would be a lot easier than manually increasing weights for each and every unit). I suspect reducing it by half will make it more like CW2 levels, though care needs to be done to not restrict it too much due to supply issues, especially since rolling stock can't be increased (although you could make that an RGD or an option if that is possible).
Nico - Icon

'From without a thousand cycles
A thousand cycles to come
A thousand times to win
A thousand ways to run the world'
- Nico, 'Frozen Warnings'

Altaris
Posts: 1482
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:59 pm

Strat redeploy on rail lines already works in the current mod version.

Nostra
Corporal
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:23 pm

Is there an ETA for a new version?

Return to “EAW Mods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests