Col Ret
Corporal

What do you have to do to get a major victory?

Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Just finished the campaign game, for the first time, as the Imperials with over 29000 victory points (spent quite a few during the game) to 1700 for the AI Protestant. Occupied all the objectives for the last 20 years of the game. For the last ten years of the game the Protestant had 0 combat power (except for the brief appearances of a lone artillery unit which I immediately captured). After destroying all the French armies when they appeared I also besieged and occupied all the French cities for the remainder of the game. Whiling away my time during the last ten years I occupied all the territories on the map so that I had 100% military control of every area I was permitted to enter. Yet I only earned a "minor victory: win by victory - none of the contenders managed to reach their territorial objectives". What was left to occupy!?! What gives!?!

Durk

Re: What do you have to do to get a major victory?

Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:02 am

Sometimes AGEOD victory conditions are a bit mysterious. I love them, but your result seems a bit extreme. NM (national morale) is heavily weighted.
I usually think any victory is a cause for joy, despite its name.

Col Ret
Corporal

Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:30 pm

Ahh, I forgot to say that my NM was 107 to the Protestants 29, although mine had been as high as 137. It just kept dropping due to "War Weariness" I suppose. Protestant land combat power was 0 for many turns. My men lost was 108987 to the Protestant 219752. At one point I had 300 prisoners, but that number dropped by 100 a couple of times until it was 0 on the last turn. 100 of the prisoners were taken on the turn that Gustavus Adolphus was killed when he and his army were besieged at Halberstadt.

Never captured a leader nor had any leader of mine captured. Does this ever happen? The map displayed several protestant leaders that had no units with them located where they had lost their last battle. Apparently hors de combat, they never moved nor was I able to fight or capture them for the remainder of the game. I thought this was probably a bug. No idea if they were dead, wounded, or just some digital remnant.

OK, what I'm complaining about is not knowing what the actual victory conditions are. Sure, reaching a morale level of 175 wins an automatic victory. How the heck can anyone every get to that level? There must be more to it than that. Yes I might play the same scenario as the Protestants. But it's a VERY long game at about 360 turns! Why torture myself?

Durk

Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:36 am

I understand. While I do not have a great answer at all to your situation, which seems a bit extreme, typically the victory conditions fall much more in the 'normal' range.
Leader capture rules have not yet been incorporated into the game. For now, leaders might get wounded or killed, but capture was not put into the current rules.

A lone leader is rarely involved in battle. In multiplayer pbem play, players often use this feature to have leaders without attached troops act as spies on enemy forces. It is possible to kill such a leader with cavalry in offensive mode, especially if the cavalry have a good leader.

AGEOD game are different in what is considered a victory. Their victory conditions are usually tied to historical, not game, victory conditions. What is odd in what you report is that I have never seen such variance in results and reports as you report. But I think I know why. When you press your troops too hard you gain war weariness. Try the scenario again without pushing as hard, let your troops recover, do not devastate all the cities, that kind of thing. I suggest, play one of the short scenarios and see if it is more sensible, then come back the the, agreed, long grand campaign.

arsan

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:05 pm

Maybe the Major victory is reserved for when you make the enemy surrender by breaking its national morale or getting your national morale above 175. Not sure...

In any case i will not worry at all about the end of game victory message.
For what you explain you have archieved a crushing victory. You must feel it deep inside ;)

Return to “TYW AARs”