ajhendrick
Civilian

Steam TYW Load Fails

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:06 pm

I recently purchased and looked forward to playing TYW. Unfortunately, after loading improperly once, and then loading properly once, and now it just loads to half a screen and goes no further: Here is a screenshot of my main monitor desktop when the loading freezes:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/145546468@N03/M1VtA1

Can you recommend a fix? If not, i'll have to ask for a refund from Steam.

When I do Ctrl-Alt-Del and open the task manager, it shows the game as "Not Responding."

SYSTEM DETAILS:

I have dual 1920x1200 monitors, the main monitor is the one shown in the screen (the secondary monitor is off to the left, and shows nothing but normal desktop). Sometimes windows games have a bit of trouble dealing with multiple monitors, but sometimes there is a game-specific .cfg or .conf setting change to fix it.

Machine is running current latest version of Windows 7 64-bit. Processor is Intel i7 quad-core at 2.8 GHz with 12 GB RAM. Nothing significant is running in the background (as the desktop screenshot shows). Video card is nvidia Geforce GTX 770 with 4 MB Video RAM with DirectX 11. Display driver version is 376.09 (nvidia numbering scheme) or 21.21.13.7609 (microsoft dxdiag numbering scheme).

Leibst

Re: Steam TYW Load Fails

Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:01 pm

ajhendrick,
Thanks for buying the game, I recommend you for this kind of issues to write to slitherine support.
support@slitherine.co.uk

I hope they can solve your problem.
-Leibst

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:34 pm

Slitherine Support can probably solve your problem, but in the meantime, you might want to try this.

First, uninstall the game.

Second, update all of your drivers.

(Modern computers have an ungodly number of drivers playing around in the soup, so the only reasonable way to do this is to use a program. I use Iobit's driver update and then uninstall it after I use it because their pop-up adds drive me crazy. The program is good apart from that, but I'm sure there are others that do the same thing).

Third, go into your Steam game library, navigate to the game, and right-click on it in your library. Click on Properties, the last item in the menu that will appear.

Once you're in Properties, go to the General Settings tab (the first one, you don't need to click on it) and make sure the Virtual Reality setting and the Steam Overlay setting boxes are not checked as enabled.

(They use up memory and the last thing you need is for Steam to be sending weird signals to your computer while you're trying to install the game).

Fourth, install the game but don't try to run it.

Fifth, go back to Properties in your Steam game library, click on the Local Files tab (the third one), and click on the Verify The Integrity Of Your Game Cache button.

This will take a while, and you should probably keep repeating the verify integrity process until you get the number of missing files down to zero (you may not be missing any, I'm just including this part just in case).

ajhendrick
Civilian

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:00 pm

It turns out that Leibstandarte's suggestion made the most sense.

I contacted Slitherine support, and Paulo Costa replied with advice that pretty much worked:

Open the game installation folder and find a file named "agesettings.exe".
Click on the "Display" tab, tick "Full Screen" option and click on the "Change" button.
Close "Age Settings" window, run the game and check if the issue persists.

This does load the game -- excruciatingly slowly, but it does load. It's interesting that the game has a configuration .exe program, rather than a ASCII-based configuration file (be it .txt, .xml, .json, or whatever). I've seen this with some Asian PC games in the past.

Philippe, your suggestions were good general ideas, but did not address my issue, which appears to be an AGEOD problem with dual monitors. I happen to be one of those cases, perhaps because my second monitor is configured to be on the left side of the main monitor (opposite the usual "to the right" configuration). Messing around with my drivers, or reinstalling with alternate Steam settings, had no effect.

Return to “TYW Technical support / Aide technique”