Garuda
Private

Struggling onward through multiple crashes

Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:31 pm

Well its 1636 and the glorious Imperial army is being halted not by the enemy, not by the weather, but by the increasing frequency of game crashes - six crashes in less than twenty game turns. :(

Also, apart from the crashes/freezes I have a number of occasions when my screen goes black for a few seconds before the AI processes the game turn.

[ATTACH]39334[/ATTACH][ATTACH]39335[/ATTACH][ATTACH]39336[/ATTACH][ATTACH]39337[/ATTACH][ATTACH]39338[/ATTACH][ATTACH]39339[/ATTACH]
Attachments
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:56 am

I wonder if you're dealing with a bug or a corrupted file.

If a file gets corrupted and you save it, sooner or later the corruption will rear it's ugly head to bite you in the ankle.

If a game crashes a couple of times you might be better off starting over (and that might include a re-install of the game), because it's probably just going to keep happening again and again.

A less radical approach would be to play the game over again but from a point before the crashes started happening.

Garuda
Private

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:59 pm

A corrupted file might make a lot of sense actually.

I had no issues in running two of the smaller scenarios and no issues in my first grand campaign start, which I abandoned before starting my current game. It is only in my current game that I am experiencing crashes.

I want to carry on (albeit having to reload often and replay some turns) as I feel I am close to winning the game. Its only 1636 but I'm close to taking Paris and destroying the French. France is the only enemy nation in my game that has any military strength left.

Does the conflict widen to other parts of Europe after France joins the war?

Leibst

Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:04 pm

One of the pop ups says to run as admin, try that if you haven't.
French is the last enemy you have in front. Now try the pbem ;)
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Durk

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:25 am

Yes, yes and yes, Run as Admin by all means. This will likely solve all your issues.

You have been very successful. I agree with Leibstandarte, it is now time to try pbem. You have acquired excellent skills.

Garuda
Private

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:15 pm

Durk wrote:Yes, yes and yes, Run as Admin by all means. This will likely solve all your issues.

I'm not very good with computers ... ... ... How do you run as Admin?

Durk wrote:You have been very successful. I agree with Leibstandarte, it is now time to try pbem. You have acquired excellent skills.

Well, I can increase the difficulty level a notch but the AI could do with some tweaks. AI forces are easily destroyed once besieged within a city - I've not seen one attempt to sortie and beat off the besieging force. Also AI forces need to find winter quarters more often; they too often attrit away in harsh weather.

Leibst

Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:51 pm

Garuda are you playing with 1.01 version?
To run as admin jusr click right botton of the mouse over the exe file and you will see a window with the text 'run as admin'
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Garuda
Private

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:53 pm

Yep. 1.01 Steam version.

I cannot locate an exe file. In fact I cannot locate an exe file for any of my Steam games. I can find the exe files for games installed locally but nothing for Steam.

Anyway, for whatever reason my latest session only experienced one crash (on the first turn) after which I have played a number of turns without any issue.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:43 pm

No two computers are ever quite the same, but on my computer the relevant path is C:\Program Files (x86)\ Steam\ Steam Apps\ Common.

Once you're inside Common you'll see all of the games that you have installed on Steam.

Another way to do it is to launch Steam, go to your Library of games, right-click on the Thirty Years War entry, left-click on Properties (which is the last item on the pop-up menu that will appear), left-click on the third tab from the left (Local Files), and left-click on Browse Local Files. That will drop you into the middle of your Steam TYW installation.

And while you're poking around in Steam Properties, it might be a good idea to make sure the Steam Overlay and Steam Virtual Reality boxes are unchecked.

Return to “TYW Technical support / Aide technique”