threecandles
Conscript

Ridiculous strategic redeployment

Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Situation: April 1629 and Catholic troops are fighting their way northward, Wallenstein and his C1700 PWR army attacks the Danish in Lunebeck he wins the battle and is set to lay siege to the town. The May turn starts and he's nowhere to be seen the whole left flank of the Catholic forces has disappeared.

The only way to find him is through the F1 screen and he, his army and several other units have been miraculously teleported to Gdynia, some 20 provinces eastward in Poland blowing the whole strategic situation wide open.

In the message log it says the Catholics have sent troops to Poland to help in their fight against the Swedes, but there was absolutely no warning that this was about to happen.

The Emperor could have warned the Catholic Field-Marshall that he was thinking of such a drastic move and the general in the field would surely have heard reports of the Starship Enterprise lurking in the skies above the North German Plain.

Rather than remove an army in the field and more to the point an engaged army in the field, would it not be better to implement arrangements behind the front lines or in the capital for such a move?

In other words; a planned build up of troops elsewhere the player can then exercise the right to determine if the move is affordable or not and if the situation is such that he is unable to carry out the expedition he suffers a hit in NM, money, supplies or a combination of all three.

threecandles
Conscript

Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:52 pm

Perhaps a set amount of turns out there might be a requirement to build replacements rather than use scarce units from the force pool?

Leibst

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:34 pm

It's fixed for first patch. Troops send to Poland will be reduced. Patch is near to be released sorry for the delay.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Ardashir
Conscript

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:54 pm

Issue still occurs, same bug - 1629 and around half of my catholic army has been moved to Gdynia, with Tilly included, effectively preventing me from playing on. I now have a Swedish army going for Prague, with my main force teleported from Brunn to Gdynia.

Also, I'm not sure if attrition is supposed to be this bad by 1629, but the one (and last remaining) Swedish army is at around 300 power points, with the total of all my armies on the map about 300 points as well.

They were back by september, but I think the redeployment is kind of wonky, seeing as some of the troops redeployed were from the Dutch border...

Also, a garrison from Krumau (unmovable unit) was redeployed to Gdynia, now its stuck at Krossen without a possibility to move it or disband it :/

Leibst

Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:35 pm

that about the garrison is weird, will try to solve it.
It is not easy to simulate an army going to fight in Poland in other way like this, im opened to new ideas if we can make this better :D
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Ardashir
Conscript

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:13 am

Leibstandarte wrote:that about the garrison is weird, will try to solve it.
It is not easy to simulate an army going to fight in Poland in other way like this, im opened to new ideas if we can make this better :D

Frankly, I think the best answer would be to treat the Polish-Swedish war of 1626-1629 as an integral part of the TYW (as do Polish and afaik also Swedish historians). Open up that part of the map and have Swedish and Polish units on the map. That way the catholic player can decide for himself if units need to be sent to help the Poles.

I thin this would also help to smoothen the Swedish entry into the war issue, allowing for more fluent, natural historically based gameplay. That and the fact that this would open some more grand strategy decisions for both sides.

elxaime
General

Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:47 pm

Leibstandarte wrote:that about the garrison is weird, will try to solve it.

What you might do is this. Provide some turns ahead of time a decision for the Imperial side. Either they aid the Poles or not.

If they decide not to, there are appropriate NM/VP costs as well as a potential effect on Swedish entry and Swedish resources. There should be a significant impact to not aiding the Poles.

To handle intervention, when the initial event is presented, the game unlocks a new "Polish War" off-map box which has travel links to four of the biggest Imperial cities (e.g. Wien). When the decision presents itself, the Imperials will be given six months to get the required forces to those cities and into the off-map box (ensure the off-map box has supply and that the travel link is a short one, e.g. no more than 14 days). Once the Polish War event itself triggers, the game checks what is in the off-map box to see if the prerequisites are satisfied and then "locks" the forces there for the duration of the war. When the war ends, the forces in the off-map box have six months to get back. At the end of the six months (which should be more than ample time, ideally the Imperials will naturally want those forces back ASAP), the off-map Polish War box is itself locked and impassible again.

Something like this would give the Imperial player some notice and control/choice.

Leibst

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:31 am

thats a nice solution. I would change that off map box by the regions next to the Polish border, or just some of them.
HQ website

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Leibstandarte wrote:thats a nice solution. I would change that off map box by the regions next to the Polish border, or just some of them.

Can sending Spanish troops to Flanders be handled the same way? Or even *hopeful sigh* have the entire Netherlands open for war action?

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:11 pm

That would be the best option.

Leibst

Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:41 pm

Open the Netherlands compeltely to the game will make a complete different situation. Its in itself a big mod, a big what if. It needs research, new leaders, maybe new units.
HQ website

Return to “TYW Technical support / Aide technique”