Stauffenberg
General

Two Questions

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:40 pm

How does one get the unit panel to appear bottom of screen (i.e. not in the middle).

How does one render the message panel with a non-transparent background (i.e. solid and thereby readable).

Fascinating time-period and game coverage I must say.

Leibst

Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:38 pm

Delicate question, i understand you want to change the model detail, the one at the mid right of the screen.
Go to Frontend folder and change the position parameters of this file: GUIModelDetail
But make first a copy of the file. It is not easy to manage this, Pocus is the expert.

If you want to change the image behind the log text you have to change the corresponding file in Graphics/Frontend/GUIMessages. There is a thread about this i think.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:34 pm

Thanks for that. I just found it odd as most game review screenshots, and the TYW manual itself, show these features I would prefer to have:

"A horizontal display window known as the Stack Panel appears along the bottom edge of the screen."
(TYW Manual, p.41)

Likewise, the message panel on p.29 is depicted with a solid (parchment) background.

I recall this same issue in AACW as well.

Any thread links or further info appreciated.

Leibst

Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Sorry but i dont understand you. The stack panel appears when you click on a stack.
And the log panel is as you see on p.29. :confused:
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:32 pm

When you click a stack, the stack panel appears in the middle of the screen not the bottom which is where I would like it--that's one issue.

The second issue is the message panel that is transparent in my game and not a solid background. As with AACW, it pretty much has to be read over the ocean or something similar to read it properly. I gather from some other thread that this layout is pretty much entrenched and unlikely to be changed (font size for example), but at least a solid background would definitely help.
Thanks again.

HeinzHarald
Private

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:17 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:When you click a stack, the stack panel appears in the middle of the screen not the bottom which is where I would like it--that's one issue.

The second issue is the message panel that is transparent in my game and not a solid background. As with AACW, it pretty much has to be read over the ocean or something similar to read it properly. I gather from some other thread that this layout is pretty much entrenched and unlikely to be changed (font size for example), but at least a solid background would definitely help.
Thanks again.

Sounds like something is wrong with your installation or computer. The game looks like the screenshots/manual for me, and it also looks like this in the let's plays on youtube.

Perhaps try a reinstallation as administrator, or a graphics driver upgrade?

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:32 pm

AACW2 and RUS both play well on this pc, but I was thinking along those lines too thanks I'll give it a try.

Leibst

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:53 pm

The issue abour the log seems something related with the resolution. What is your computer resolution?
try changing it to see if this is the issue.
Do you own CW2? if yes, i suposse it works ok.
HQ website

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:35 pm

--PC Display: 1280 x 1024; AMD RADEON HD 6500, 4817 MB RAM

--AACW2 on this PC is the same issue as TYW. I had attempted to try various suggestions but finally settled for playing around what was an inconvenience.

--Recently got RUS (3 weeks ago) and both issues are solved with no tweaking: unit stacks appear bottom of screen and message panel has a solid non-transparent background.

--TYW back to the same issue as AACW2.

I'll tried reinstalling TYW with system admin. but was denied access to the uninstall exe. I'll give it a go tomorrow as I just can't recall if I installed RUS that way.
Thanks.

Pocus

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:37 am

This is very weird. The games where you have a problem are the ones with the updated graphic engine and interface. I don't get why the panel don't go to the bottom for you only. Are you using a specific configuration like an emulator, a mac, linux, multi screens, anything that differs from the common config?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Stauffenberg
General

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi Pocus. No it's just a vanilla PC, 64-bit, 8 GB RAM with Samsung SSD and the usual HD.
I've always had the feeling it is a screen resolution issue and of course tried every configuration available in the game settings.

EDIT: SOLVED. I had a custom font setting of 128% (I'm an older guy) which was causing the unit panel and message panel issues. Set at default 100%, or 125%, everything is fine. No idea why RUS worked just fine with that custom font setting and the other two games do not.
Thanks.

Return to “TYW Technical support / Aide technique”