henry.newbolt@libero.it
Conscript

Saved Games Disappeared

Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:36 pm

Hello everybody

A very strange thing happened today, I was playing the Grand Campaign and I saved it to do other things; then I used the Check For Updates command from the game menu and then, when I tried to load the Grand Campaign it was no longer there, I was left with only three saved games while there where at least ten of them.

Hope they aren't gone for good but simply moved in other directories.

Greetings
Andrea

Leibst

Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi Andrea,

Are you running the game as admin?
The saved games are for sure in any place of your computer, the game doesnt remove them never by itself.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

henry.newbolt@libero.it
Conscript

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:13 am

Leibstandarte wrote:Hi Andrea,

Are you running the game as admin?
The saved games are for sure in any place of your computer, the game doesnt remove them never by itself.

Hi Leib,

I have found the missing saves in:

C:\Users\Andrea\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\Thirty Years War\TYW\Saves

I copied the ones that I was interested in the save folder of the game directory and all went well.

But why they were no longer in the right folder?

Yes I have admin rights the pc is my personal one.

Pocus

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:56 am

Some Windows like to move files to others places, in particular Vista; The system has been improved over time even if Windows 8 had troubles with that too.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

henry.newbolt@libero.it
Conscript

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:15 am

Well maybe is a windows problem, but its the first time it happened, I have others Matrix games and never I lost my saved games.
Moreover I had another issue with saved games in TYW.
I had formed a cavalry group under Holk and merged it with the Wallenstein Army, the next turn the cavalry has disappeared and remained only Holk as stand alone leader in Wallenstein's Army; so I quitted the game and tried the "get back one turn" button on the load games directory of the game menu; I restarted the game and it went back to 1632 from the 1636 turn I was playing!!!
I have tried again to find the missing saves and I found them in the bin; but this time I was unable to restore them, the engine kept loading the 1632 turn instead of the 1636 one.

Pocus

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Weirder and weirder, what is the OS you are using? Have you admin rights? Can you try installing it elsewhere?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Durk

Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:59 am

I am playing a game pbem with a similar issue. I have been on Windows 10 for a long time and never had a problem, but my opponent has a new computer with Windows 10 and cannot figure out where his saved files are being hosted.

henry.newbolt@libero.it
Conscript

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:30 am

Pocus wrote:Weirder and weirder, what is the OS you are using? Have you admin rights? Can you try installing it elsewhere?

The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium with service pack 1
I am Admin of the system as it is my personal computer, and no I have only this one to install the game on.

captain14
Sergeant

Re: No saves folder anywhere!!!

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:49 am

sorry folks I like this game but it is wiping out my patience and goodwill.
I have numerous ageod games and have a pbem group that play many of them.
So my long standing opponent and I decide to test drive TYW pbem.
Catch is after 2 weeks of every single days searching I can find no saves folder to put the files in.
Checked all the paths listed above, checked my games, games even all the other ageod games saves folder nothing. Yet when I generate a game it shows me the path to TYW/saves folder, when I check that path through windows no such folder exists. I have reinstalled, uninstalled , ran searches, you name it nothing
I can see the games in the load page, I can see the paths when saving but when you manually check those paths in windows nothing Zilch!
I am well beyond frustrated. :cuit:
This is madness, we buy a game, we simply want to play it. Surely "all' aegod games can be saved in a central location?
I also don't understand why my opponent's game generates a saves file but mine dos not?
An answer to this torturing conundrum would be greatly appreciated.

captain14
Sergeant

Re: Saved Games Disappeared

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:13 am

ok just reinstalled to a new location and it still doesn't generate a saves folder :pleure:

Durk

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:29 am

I am so sorry you are having trouble with the saves folder. What I suggested to my fellow player was to create a game and then rename it to something searchable. That is a unique name the search feature would easily find. Then once he found this game, to make a desktop shortcut.
It has worked for him and we have had many turns of depredation and starvation.
It is totally worth find this file. Incidentally, I do not think this is an AGEOD issue, I think it is a Windows issue.

Nikel

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:08 am

If you install the game with UAC activated, they should be where henry said:

C:\Users\Andrea\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\Thirty Years War\TYW\Saves

Note in your case you must change "andrea" with your name.

And "Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games" with the folder where you installed the game.

Leibst

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:02 am

Run the game as admin and you should have a folder in Documents/MyGames/TYW/saves

Return to “Thirty Years War”