jack54
Brigadier General

Stategy Question: (Early HRE) what to do with Budweis... ?

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:54 pm

Hi again,

This is my first try with the Full Campaign as HRE. It's early I forced the Protestant Armies away from Budweis. Supply there, even in good weather, is low. I've been running supplies wagons back and forth. In any other game I'd build depots but the supply in this game is a bit unique. I hate to loose the flexibility of the supply wagons converting them to depots.

Am I wrong in thinking Budweis is critical to drive further north toward Prague? (In the Shorter Bohemian Revolt Scenario I've been able to win playing conservatively without going very far north.)

So is Budweis that important ? depot or no depot.... ? do I build defensive works? I'm thinking an event or 2 could change everything I.E. I don't have Tilly yet.

Thanks for any advice...It's still early in the campaign but so far I'm really enjoy the game with 1.02RC.
AGE games I own; RUS ,AJE, BOR, H:ToR, AACW, WIA, ROP,NC, CWII, Espana 1936, TYW
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Durk

Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:25 pm

You are correct that a drive toward Prague and Pilsen is essential. You want to eliminate the Bohemian threat prior to the war spreading.

If you take Prague, Budweis is no longer critical as the war moves to the west. So no need to build, if the season is ripe and you can defeat the Bohemians. If you must over-winter, then a depot or two is helpful.

Wagons versus depots is something I do not know a best play answer to. If you are successful running wagons back and forth and sustaining supply, why give up a successful tactic. I do just the opposite, I build depots. If I pace the frequency of building depots, it seems I have sufficient replacement wagons in the pool.

jack54
Brigadier General

Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:54 am

Thanks for the help Durk,

Good info. I think I will build a depot... the supply carts take quite a bit more micro management. In CW2 or RUS I wouldn't hesitate making a depot. I'm still getting use to the interesting supply situations in TYW. I think Leibstandarte made some excellent design decisions.
AGE games I own; RUS ,AJE, BOR, H:ToR, AACW, WIA, ROP,NC, CWII, Espana 1936, TYW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Durk

Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:28 am

I love the very challenging supply situation. Very historical. I agree about Leibstandarte's design decisions.
There is a need to balance a large army versus supply where two smaller armies might be a better choice, except for the enemy army.
Currently, I am trying to maintain a much larger reserve of money and resources so I am more flexible in building and reinforcement.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:05 am

I think going for Baden (before PRO force unlock and merge with the remaining force in 2 other cities adjacent) or Prague capture strategy could be the main strategy. Krems and Pilsen could be lost in the process. But if Prague and those kept, game lost already for Catholics.

Durk

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:13 am

Baris wrote:I think going for Baden (before PRO force unlock and merge with the remaining force in 2 other cities adjacent) or Prague capture strategy could be the main strategy. Krems and Pilsen could be lost in the process. But if Prague and those kept, game lost already for Catholics.

There is a serious need to defeat Bavarian forces early otherwise they take Vienna, which is a disaster for the HRE.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:32 pm

I think auto garrisons are quite strong in Vienna to hold for a while besides major river crossing factor as an advantage for gamble. Similar situation in ROP that Friedrich could need some brave movements. Otherwise I think HRE will give up slowly, waiting for defeat.

Durk

Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:16 am

If the Bavarian force can manage to take Linz, the now isolated Vienna is vulnerable as the HRE force must play for all in or abandon Vienna. If the Bavarian force can siege Vienna, it can play both the 'expert gunner' and 'mines' cards and easily assault.
Taking Vienna is a cornucopia of resources and NM for the Protestants, in addition to an economic anchor for the continued war.
It is a challenging prospect, but well worth a Friedrich like gamle.

Ripster8
Colonel

Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:19 am

I assume you mean 'Bohemian' forces and not 'Bavarian' forces? If the Bavarians are sieging Linz then the Emperor has very serious problems indeed!

Durk

Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:51 am

Ripster8 wrote:I assume you mean 'Bohemian' forces and not 'Bavarian' forces? If the Bavarians are sieging Linz then the Emperor has very serious problems indeed!

Yes, you found me out. What is one B force compared to another? Bohemian indeed!!

Return to “Thirty Years War”