pantsukki
Brigadier General

Creating unit groups

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:39 am

The manual describes the process of grouping units, but it does not advice on what units to combine. Is the grouping only a tool to decrease CP costs, or does it also increase the efficiency of the involved units? If it does, what units to combine? Mix different types, or keep them separate?

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:42 pm

pantsukki wrote:The manual describes the process of grouping units, but it does not advice on what units to combine. Is the grouping only a tool to decrease CP costs, or does it also increase the efficiency of the involved units? If it does, what units to combine? Mix different types, or keep them separate?

Lol, I came to post this same question. :D

My guess is that they work in combat like divisions do in CW2.

HeinzHarald
Private

Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:02 pm

If I remember the manual correctly leaders give 100% benefit of their ratings to units within their group, and 50% benefit to units outside of the group (in the same stack).

Durk

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:14 pm

Definitely one important reason for grouping units is the more efficient use of Command Points. Leader special qualities usually benefits all units, as HeinzHarald says. So matching infantry to an infantry leader or putting artillery with a leader who uses artillery more effectively also adds value to the units.
Good subordinate leaders help add to the army commander's ability to coordinate. However, with more than one subordinate leader it is worth paying attention to balance in each subordinate group.
Also, creating a balanced subordinate group allows for coordination of combined arms or creation of a special group like so often done in this era an independent cavalry army.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:49 am

Maintaining good numbers with high element count in a formed unit is most important. Under right leadership I've seen instances Bethlen all light cavalry group can defeat all line inf group. But ideally I think to put 4 line units and a single cavalry element in a group is the most efficient. High rank and senior leader in a stack can be also given group command besides subcoordinates.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Baris wrote:Maintaining good numbers with high element count in a formed unit is most important. Under right leadership I've seen instances Bethlen all light cavalry group can defeat all line inf group. But ideally I think to put 4 line units and a single cavalry element in a group is the most efficient. High rank and senior leader in a stack can be also given group command besides subcoordinates.

How much pikes and muskets per group do you use?

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:59 pm

May depend on what is available in pool. Generally pikes have a protection and musketeers have a better range but with relatively low firepower vs other games. Main reason all Line inf could be better because they can be easily be populated in a group and have advantage in different terrain than cavalry. Arquebusier cavalry have good hit points and may perform similar as muskeeters. Can be good to test.

Return to “Thirty Years War”